RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just found out today that my vertical side mount license plate is illegal.

I had my vtx1800 in getting serviced and - they gave me the news when they saw it.

I don't drive my bike that much but - I've driven it several times since October 1st of last year (ignorantly and without issue).

Does anyone else have vertical side mounts?? If so - does anyone know if they're actually enforcing this or if this is just a regulation they'll use as an excuse at bike rally's etc. to check for other stuff?

Anyone??

·
Premium Member
2,916 Posts
I don't know how they choose to enforce it in Florida, but it's illegal in Indiana also and I've never heard of anyone getting stopped for it, much less cited.

·
Registered
8,318 Posts
Suggest you change it,you will spendabout 1K for a vertical plate fine in FL. Also, front wheel off the ground = big $$$.

Check the FL web site or Google for full details. I don't have the link to the info anymore.

·
Registered
690 Posts
They are enforcing it and it will cost you about $1,150 with additional processing fees. You need to get it changed. Call someone sometime fooker.

·
Registered
8,318 Posts
snakeyezzz said:
They are enforcing it and it will cost you about $1,150 with additional processing fees. You need to get it changed. Call someone sometime fooker.

Hey sometime, how the h ell you doin?

Will catch up with ya at bike week.

Know any female types that can dance? :~)

·
Registered
562 Posts
Not sure how they enforce it but I changed mine last month when a cop friend of mine suggested I do it...

·
Registered
492 Posts
they are enforcing it.... is a $1000 fine... i wont risk my luck for a bill with that number....

the fee for not having a plate is like $125....

but having it misplaced is outrageous...$1000! + adm fees and stuff

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yep... that law is close to one of the most ridiculous laws they've come up with.

If they required it clearly visible/lit and "fixed" then - that would be reasonable (my current plate satisfies all three).

Pisses me off honestly. The current setup i have was about $200 to purchase/install. Now the tax collectors want to change the rules - there goes another $200.

I'm not sure how someone in law enforcement couldgo about passing out tickets forsuch ridiculous ***.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I'm pretty sure that turning it horizontal is not enought....it has to behind the rear wheel also...FWIW, I don't think it has to be centered

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah - that's a good point actually...

I don't know if that's a requirement or not. I've been told several things and - haven't been able to qualify any of them.

Does anyone have a link to - or an excerpt of what's actually required by law now??

·
Registered
690 Posts
Just mount something temporarily. ABATE has got word from the person that wrote the bill that he has agreed to remove that part of the bill or provide us with vertical plates.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Steve - does that mean they're actually going to amend it so that the vertical's are ok?

·
Registered
52 Posts
2008 Florida Law on License Plates (can't be vertical) specifically applies only to Florida registered vehicles:

Title XXIII
MOTOR VEHICLES Chapter 316
STATE UNIFORM TRAFFIC CONTROL View Entire Chapter

316.605 Licensing of vehicles.--

(1) Every vehicle, at all times while driven, stopped, or parked upon any highways, roads, or streets of this state, shall be licensed in the name of the owner thereof in accordance with the laws of this state unless such vehicle is not required by the laws of this state to be licensed in this state and shall, except as otherwise provided in s. 320.0706 for front-end registration license plates on truck tractors and s. 320.086(5) which exempts display of license plates on described former military vehicles, display the license plate or both of the license plates assigned to it by the state, one on the rear and, if two, the other on the front of the vehicle, each to be securely fastened to the vehicle outside the main body of the vehicle not higher than 60 inches and not lower than 12 inches from the ground and no more than 24 inches to the left or right of the centerline of the vehicle, and in such manner as to prevent the plates from swinging, and all letters, numerals, printing, writing, and other identification marks upon the plates regarding the word "Florida," the registration decal, and the alphanumeric designation shall be clear and distinct and free from defacement, mutilation, grease, and other obscuring matter, so that they will be plainly visible and legible at all times 100 feet from the rear or front. Vehicle license plates shall be affixed and displayed in such a manner that the letters and numerals shall be read from left to right parallel to the ground. No vehicle license plate may be displayed in an inverted or reversed position or in such a manner that the letters and numbers and their proper sequence are not readily identifiable. Nothing shall be placed upon the face of a Florida plate except as permitted by law or by rule or regulation of a governmental agency. No license plates other than those furnished by the state shall be used. However, if the vehicle is not required to be licensed in this state, the license plates on such vehicle issued by another state, by a territory, possession, or district of the United States, or by a foreign country, substantially complying with the provisions hereof, shall be considered as complying with this chapter. A violation of this subsection is a noncriminal traffic infraction, punishable as a nonmoving violation as provided in chapter 318.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts