RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
[?][?]Running rich means you have too much fuel to air, lean too much air to fuel, right? Backfiring is unburnt fuel igniting in the exhaust system, correct? I have seen posts saying that lean causes backfiring can anyone explain that? Or do I have something backwards?[?][?][/emoticons/emotion-4.gif]

·
Registered
11,588 Posts
Yes thats correct. rich is to much fuel Back fire occures lean is dangerous because engin cannot cool itself enough through the exhaust pipes. Some people have reported red glowing pipes when bike is to lean.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Here is a good write up about deceleration popping vs backfiring

http://www.hondavtx.com/faq/faq.htm

Its about the sixth question down

·
Registered
516 Posts
I know it sound counter intuitive, but adding fuel to the mix reduces backfire on decel... I am not sure of the exact reason, but it works in my experince. I discovered this after changing exhausts... I had a really bad backfire problem, and after richining the fuel, I eleiminated the problem completely. My guess is that there is added pressure on the folloeing cylinder from lean burn. It is also weird that lean causes high temperatures... It seems to me more fuel=more energy=more heat, but that is not the case either...

·
Registered
11,588 Posts
more fuel is actually less energy if it can't be burned and expelled. You were probably running lean and now have it where it should be. I wish my bike was where yours is..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts