RS Warrior Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hello,
I'd like to change my fork tubes as I suspect they are slightly bent (crash). I have a 2002 Yamaha Warrior XV1700. The local shop says specs for my tubes ar 41mm diameter with 516mm length.
I can only find replacement tubes with 41mm X 512mm or 41mm X 523mm.
Thich one would you recommend? I tend to go for the 523mm length, as you could theoretically lower the bike a bit from fork clamps mounting position.
What do you guys believe?

·
[Retired Admin-SuperMod]
31,487 Posts
@mihaib

The 2002 to 2005 forks are 3/4" (19mm) longer than the 2006 and newer model years that use radial brakes.

Attached 2006 and newer OD dimensions workup is by member rij1 (I don't have a workup for 02~05).

Both use 41mm OD lowers.

I actually do not have reliable length dimensions for either stock model year fork setup. And none for the tube diameters or lengths used in the R1 fork swap either. The overall length from the top-of-upper-to-axle-center dimension, and the overall length from top of upper to bottom of lower. The only manual dimensions are uncompressed spring length and travel.

I only mention these because in many cases sellers do not realize the difference between Road Star and Road Star Warrior, it seems strange but it's true. Pictures or drawings will show it right away. But individual component part numbers should be verified for fitment.

I wish I had a known Outside Diameter image like this for the early models. I've been told they are functionally identical. My guess has been the 3/4" (19mm) length difference is all in the 41mm lower, but I have no expert hands-on documentation.

I realize this photo is not your model year.
Font Line Tool Wood Gas

·
[Retired Admin-SuperMod]
31,487 Posts
Neither yet. The shorter would be out of course. The longer needs more info. I'm not one to be comfortable with dimension differences. Assembly as mating parts depends on knowing exactly where the dimension differences are, and how that affects assembly and installation and function. If the dimension increase pushes the bike up further than can be offset by fork insertion into the trees, then I would want to know that first.

·
[Retired Admin-SuperMod]
31,487 Posts
Kayaba. KYB. I don't have manufacturer part numbers. It might be that the price of the lowers might be about the same as buying an R1 front end and brake. Those used to be found around here for a couple hundred bucks. No idea these days.

·
[Retired Admin-SuperMod]
31,487 Posts
I noticed this picture of a right side in a post today. I have not seen this patent number sticker on mine but its probably there. The image is a 2003 Warrior. I wonder if it's searchable for a part number via KYB. Dunno.

Tin Fluid Cylinder Liquid Gas

·
Premium Member
9,048 Posts
Also,
Do you know if the bottom part connected to the fork tube (where you mount the brakes and the wheel) was used for other Yamaha models?
The part in question is called the Bottom or Lower Fork Leg :)
I suspect the early R1 fork legs (1998-2001) will do the deed but the fender mounting bracket differs, so you'll need to be creative.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts