RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hopefully this will be my last lame "what do I do?" post before I sew it up and put my money where my mouth is, but...

Just wondering what I'm really getting myself into, coming from an R6, especially regarding acceleration. The R6 is all RPMs and HP and light weight, whereas the Warrior is (while light for a cruiser this size) mostly about evil amounts of torque. I haven't had the chance to ride a Warrior yet, but reading this site has set my expectations pretty high. Based on my general understanding of hp vs torque and reading all the posts here, what I'm expecting is: 0-60mph the Warrior is gonna knock my socks off coming from an R6, but beyond that (1/4 mile type distance), it will pale in comparison to a basic 600cc supersport. Am I pretty accurate, spot on, or talking out my choco starfish?

thanks
mp

·
Registered
3,899 Posts
yup. On an R6 or any sportbike, you can actually go 100+ uneventfully. On the Warrior, 130+ is topped out. You don't have the same aerodynamics, so you will feel alot more of the wind hitting you. Forward foot controls will make you feel like you're floating.
Also, biggest difference between the 4 and the Vtwin is that the V will vibrate alot more. You can also feel it alot more when you engine brake on a Vtwin.
CrumbTray, on this board, went from an R6 to a Warrior and I don't think he regrets it. No more wheelies though. He does enjoy a good burnout on the Warrior once in a while, it's a great show![/emoticons/emotion-2.gif]

·
Registered
718 Posts
IMO, you don't get the exhilerating feeling of sportbike on a Warrior. Yes, the torque is insane on the Warrior and will definitely stretch your arms a couple of inches from hanging on but if you like the cornering, handling and balls to the wall exceleration of a sportbike you will get bored eventually of the cruiser. Of course a lot of guys in here will tell you that this bike handles exceptionally well for a cruiser, and it does, but it is nothing compared to a sportbike. I went from an R1 to the Warrior and I am now back on an R1. But of course, this is just my opinion.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
I went from a 500cc sportbike to the Warrior and I will NEVER get bored of my warrior. You can't even use most of what makes a sportbike great unless you live in the mountains or you do a lot of track days. Yeah, I know guys will disagree with that...but for anyone who has done a track day or been to the Dragon...I think you know what I mean.

Yes, sometimes I do miss the lightweight and nimble handling of the sporties...but the style, torque, comfort, possibilities for customization, awesome Vtwin, and sound of this bike make it an awesome choice.

Plus...you can ride it for more than an hour without needing a chiropractor...which is something most sporties just can't offer you. Part of that is that on the Warrior you don't have much weight on your arms...unlike the sporties where a good portion of your torso weight is supported by your arms...which can get fatigued over time.

I say get the warrior and don't look back.

·
Registered
12,497 Posts
I went from the Warrior to a Z1000 back to my Warrior. Got bored with the warrior so needed something different, sold the Z1000 and I'm in love with the Warrior again. Warrior is a better all around bike.

·
Registered
10,143 Posts
I'm strongly considering going from Warrior to a sport bike in the very near future. It's going to depend more on what kind of "deal" the stealership gives me when I approach them about trading in my Warrior than anything else. If they don't try to bend me over too far then I'm going to try my hand (for the first time) at a sportbike. I'm looking at the GSX-R 750. Closely. [/emoticons/emotion-1.gif]

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good points all around. A major difference between the R6 and R1 is that the power band for the R1 is a bit flatter. Engine is so GD powerful that it makes good power throughout, whereas with the 15.5k redline R6, you gotta beat the snot out of it before it goes bananas (relates to parabellum's point about not really using what a sportbike offers on regular roads and twisted's R1 preference).

I am indeed tired of bearing so much weight on my arms--not what God designed 'em for. Someday when I'm rich and famous and have a big ass garage, I'll have an unregistered sportbike for trackdays and something like the Warrior for everyday. Someday...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Shag--gix750 is by all accounts a sweet ride, but you may be disappointed by the inline 4's coming from a twin, particularly anything smaller than 1000cc. Did you look into Ducati or Aprilia at all?

·
Registered
178 Posts
I have both an R1 and a Warrior. Two different animals, though close. I loved the rush of the R1, but as others have mentioned, riding position can be a pain. ....Though I have done some fairly long trips on the R1. Warrior is in the shop getting new skins, so we took out the R last night. loved that g-force rush to 155, but I also love hi performance cruising on the Warrior! and you don't have to be rich and famous to have more than one bike, I don't own a car ..haha( I just borrow my girlfriends!)

·
Registered
10,143 Posts
quote:Originally posted by MotoDC

Shag--gix750 is by all accounts a sweet ride, but you may be disappointed by the inline 4's coming from a twin, particularly anything smaller than 1000cc. Did you look into Ducati or Aprilia at all?

I've read about them in Cycle World magazine and Motorcyclist. Everything I've read about the 750 says its can *almost* keep up with the liter version, but it's lighter, etc. Just supposed to be the best of both worlds (600 and 1000). I've ridden a 750 Katana and was very impressed with how it just continued to pull up over 10K on the tach. Tons of power. No doubt at all in my mind that even that older Katana would pull away from my Warrior with no trouble at all. I want something quicker than the Warrior that handles even better, and from everything I've read, the 750 will fit that bill nicely. It's still not a done deal. My local dealer doesn't even have any of the 750s in stock. He says he can get one of whatever color I want in 3 days, but... I haven't told him to do that yet so I don't know if he's full of it or not. We'll see.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Shag.

Yeah, the 750 sounds like a great choice. Personally, I would stick with Yammi and so the Fazer 1000 would be my choice...I LOVE naked sportbikes.

If I had unlimited fundage...this would be my next bike....1000cc Twin and gorgeous classic lines...06 or 07 production....

Insert Image:

82.11KB

Best.

Chris.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
I miss the top end and handling of the sportbike but I dont miss looking over my shoulder every second. The Warrior is a different kind of feeling when you ride. Modding the bike is another aspect I enjoy, not to say you cant with a sportbike. You ll get more ooohhs and ahhhs with a slightly modded Warrior than you will have with most sportbikes. There is nothing on the road that $ for hp that can beat a sportbike. If you find a local Warrior, I would be glad in checking it out with you. There verly little chance you will leave any Warrior stock, Good Luck!

·
Registered
3,821 Posts
I would say that the 0-60 time for a Warrior is much slower than for the 600. Some of the 600s are 2.5 seconds faster through the quarter but I have 100ft/lbs waiting for me at 1700rpm. The 600s peak at about half that I think. The key to the Warrior is the huge torque spread--shifting is optional! Very relaxed and a lot of fun. I was amazed at how cumbersome the Warrior is in turns compared to my FJ1200 but now appreciate it very much for what it is. A great sport cruiser. If you're a hardcore sport rider, definitely ride one before you buy.........

·
Registered
8,222 Posts
This is the apples vs oranges thing.

Warrior is high torque solid mounted v twin with vibes that gently massages your manhood as you ride. It launches harder than anything I have ever ridden. You can scrape the bottom side of it & still feel like you have full control. I have had mine layed over backing into a corner with the rear wheel hanging out & just as she started to come up just wacked the throttle & squared off the corner. I have been spit off other bikes doing that.

As far as 0-60 times go I have been up against a # of sport bikes mostly 1K's & have toasted them all stop light to stop light. They normally catch up & go by when I'm in 3rd gear & they get into their power band. I ran those guys when the Warrior was stock. She's just a tad quicker now.

I also ride a Hayabusa when I have the need for insane top speed. Smoother than the Warrior, about 100 lbs lighter & 50% more hp. Due to the good aero package its really a hot ride on a 90 degree day.

Warrior & Hayabusa are both called motorcycles.

Apples & oranges are both called fruit.

Its your coin buy what you think you like.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Churchkey made the best points about it all. I can say on thing though if you like modding a motorcycle the Warrior is one of the easiest to work on.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I just traded my FZ1 for my 06 Warrior a few weeks ago. I have had sport bikes my whole adult life. I can honestly say I love my Warrior. It took some getting used to as far as the speed thing but the comfort of riding is great. I average about 4,000 miles per summer here in MN. Not a ton of miles but it's more comfortable on this bike for sure. Anywho, being an ex-sport bike rider, I love it. Now giddy up.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Agreed, buy what you like. Each bike is different. We have bikes that have twin, V4, or inline four engines and they're all fun to ride...but they're all just a bit different.

You have to decide what you want from your bike. The Suz 750 is a sweet ride though. I got to ride the '06 600 at the track and it was a verrry fun bike and nicely put together as well. Got to look a the 750 but didn't get to ride it, I can tell you they fly...and that was on the track where the instructors were riding them at insane speeds.

If I was in the market for another sportbike, I'd take a hard look at the 750. /emoticons/emotion-1.gif

1 - 20 of 45 Posts