RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a little confused. Is the frame painted or powder coated? It sure llooked like powder coat to me. I found this saying it is the factory color but this is paint. http://www.colorrite.com/product/yamaha-0582-mat-black-2-mbl2-1971.cfmIs this just paint that matches the factory powder coat? I am fixing to re powdercoat my frame and would really like to get as close to the factory color as possible. I have about settled on a textured satin black. I just dont know though. I considered gloss black but have decided that it is not for me. I like the contrast of the frame and tins. Any suggestions on factory powdercoat matches are appreciated.

·
Premium Member
2,916 Posts
I'm not 100% positive but I'm pretty sure it's paint. While I'm a big fan of powdercoat, it is a bit more brittle than paint. I'd paint the frame if it was me.

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
Pep said:
I'm not 100% positive but I'm pretty sure it's paint. While I'm a big fan of powdercoat, it is a bit more brittle than paint. I'd paint the frame if it was me.

The frame is paint.

Sorry to disagree with you pep but In my experiences with customizing cars powdercoat is harder and more durable than paint if it is aplied and baked properly.You should be able to hit it with a hammer and not even mark it if it is done correctly.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, thanks guys I didn't think the frame was originally paint. That is interesting. I guess I am either going to go with the textured satin black or just a smooth satin black. Definatly powder coating though. I have about a week to make my mind up. My dad thinks I should do it in a silver but I think I would be disapointed if I did something that drastic. What do you think?

·
Registered
5,211 Posts
baclay9 said:
Ok, thanks guys I didn't think the frame was originally paint. That is interesting. I guess I am either going to go with the textured satin black or just a smooth satin black. Definatly powder coating though. I have about a week to make my mind up. My dad thinks I should do it in a silver but I think I would be disapointed if I did something that drastic. What do you think?

I was also thinking silver. I really like the way the guys ....vector18 & ram396...is that polished/chrome????? Who knows, but they look awesome. I was thinking a nice gray or silver would be sorta the same effect, but still different.

·
Registered
5,211 Posts
Jaguar Galaxy Grey....check out the Jim Nasi custom in the January issue of easyrider.

·
Premium Member
940 Posts
baclay9 said:
I would have to agree with your dad on this one. Everyone has a black frame. If you are going to go through all the work to do the frame why not make it your own. Also powder is a much better choice over paint. Much more durable.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, if I am going to go that route dont you think I might as well go with chrome? Or do you think that would be too much. I already have quite a bit of chrome on the bike but maybe it would look good. Here is a picture so you can see what chrome is already there.

By claypool782, shot with DSC-T300 at 2008-08-28

Give me some ideas guys. I want to do the right thing because once it is done, its done.

·
Premium Member
940 Posts
baclay9 said:
Well, if I am going to go that route dont you think I might as well go with chrome? Or do you think that would be too much. I already have quite a bit of chrome on the bike but maybe it would look good. Here is a picture so you can see what chrome is already there.

Give me some ideas guys. I want to do the right thing because once it is done, its done.
They do have chrome powdercoat. It is not as shiny as real chrome but much more so than silver.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Well, here is the dicotomy... the left side with the negative space of the engine could use the chromed frame or lighter paint to draw the eye to center. Or, a left side cover would do the same.

However, the right side (which is nicely balanced as it is) would be to busy with the chrome frame for sure.

But above all--powder coat that sneaker "cement" color would yah! Please?

·
Registered
523 Posts
baclay9 said:

I had my frame, swingarm and some other partsdone in silver. I've got pics in my gallery to get an idea what it would look like. The pics aren't the best quality, I need to get some new ones up this spring.

·
Registered
5,211 Posts
Very nice Camel

1 - 15 of 15 Posts