RS Warrior Forum banner

Frankenride is back from the recall

2K views 21 replies 13 participants last post by  herculean 
#1 ·
Got my bike back on Friday after a few weeks of recall/upgrade work.

Got the recall done with the following additions:

Roadstar 5th gear swap
PR 108 cylinders
PR JE 9:1 low compression pistons (prep step for turbo)
PR Carillo rods
PR balanced crank

I went through a little bit of break in over the weekend followed by a couple of hard runs. Bike feels very strong even with the reduced compression.
The balanced crank has totally paid off: The vibrations between 3000-3500 rpms that started after the Stage IV upgrade are almost gone. The engine runs a lot smoother.

Thanks to Mission Yamaha who came through with another great job. Not a single oil leak - perfect job. If you live in SoCal get your Warrior there. They are the best!

I will update you on the turbo install. I am planning to drop off the bike next week the get it thrown on.

See less See more
#7 ·
quote:Originally posted by Arthur

Are they going to do a "pre" turbo dyno so we can see what the speed star cams 108ci and the rest is before the turbo? That will also tell you if us lost anything from the smaller high compression pistons.
thanks

I am pretty sure we will. Its all about the delta.

#11 ·
Glad to hear you got it back after only a few weeks. My bike has been in the shop for 7 weeks and still no sign of its return. I can't wait to see your before and after numbers. Your before numbers will be interesting since with 9:1 it would probably run on 87 octane before the turbo install.

#13 ·
quote:Originally posted by Bunker

Can you offer a bit more specifics about the balanced crank? And was it lightened as well? Thanks, and good luck with the turbo phase of the build.

I only had the crank balanced but not lightened. My budget did not reach that far. [/emoticons/emotion-5.gif]
After the 108 ci 9:1 setup with Carillo rods Nigel (PR) recommended to balance the crank with the new rods and pistons. It is only a fraction of the cost to lighten it but it paid off big time. The engine is smoother than before.
Balancing is done by drilling wholes into the heavier side of the crank until it is dynamically balanced. I took about three days after PR had my crank and the brand new :)1 JE pistons together with the new rods.

#14 ·
I know I'm running a bit late, but I'm finally getting around to researching the recall mods. I want to put in HC pistons, and the RS 5th set while its apart. I'll do the rest myself later. Frankenstein, you mentioned Mission Motor Sports was good for your work. Is it worth a 50 mile drive for me? Did you tip em beforehand? I talked to my dealer up here (Del Amo Motorsports) and the tech has done 9 other recalls with no complaints he'd tell me about. They'll do the upgrades for parts cost with my 10% discount for buying it there. Advice? Suggestions?

#15 ·
Go with Mission Yamaha if you can. I know 50 miles is a trip but they have done several outstanding jobs for me and other Warrior owners. They senior mechanic who is doing all the recalls is the owners brother. Tell them (Tony - Service Manager, John - Owner, Bill - Brother and super Mechanic) Oliver sent you and they will take good care of you. They can do whatever engine and transmission mods you want and have done them all before. Starting in Jan/Feb they will have their own dyno room and will be able to do custom PCIII maps.

Hope this helps!

Oliver

#18 ·
i got my recall notice two months after i got the bike , was really pissed at what had to be done. since i got it back had three different oil leaks after the third time back to dealer they finally got it right except now im noticing a small build up of oil from rear cylinder looks like ill be going back soon. really love this bike cant wait till all the bugs are out.

#19 ·
Finally picked up the pistons from PR on friday and made the trek down to Mission Yamaha. Talked to Bill for a while before I left it there, and he seemed to really know his stuff. Decided just to do HC pistons and the gear swap for now. Next month or so I'll do the pipe, air, and PCIII. I guess Mission's dyno shop isn't done yet. Where's a good place to take a warrior around SoCal?

#20 ·
Hello Brandon,

When you decide to get the Power Commander (btw the PCIII is out of date and the preferred PC is the USB), get the air filter kit and PCusb from us, we could install it, dyno it and get your custom map setup for you all at the same time. We have a state of the art dyno with all the sensors, meters, compensators, etc. you can get.

When I gave you the tour to show you the prototype turbo bike, it was the big room on the left.

#22 ·
Rode my bike back from Mission Motorsports today and was very pleased. While doing the recall work, they put in the PR 10.25:1 pistons and RS 5th set. I'm very pleased with both mods after 50 odd miles of freeway riding. I haven't noticed any leaks, and a once-over didn't reveal any scratches. I'm still breaking it in obviously, but the bike pulls harder and sounds better with less vibration. I was doing 70 into a strong headwind and noticed some pinging when i pushed it in 5th, so i'm definately looking forward to getting a custom map with a pipe and air kit.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.