RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had this deal since I bought this bike, every now and then the axle moves and everthing is still tight leaving me dismayed as to how it happened, every time, it looks like its my belt shinking, it starts getting tight. Yesterday was the first time I saw one of the adjusters (right side) actually moved off the stop almost and 1/8 " I will check the torque tonight but , only thiog I can figure is frim 2 up braking against too loose hardwear

·
Premium Member
16,372 Posts
110 ftlbs is recommended and it should never move. Now, if your adjuster's are moving that is another issue.

·
Premium Member
8,918 Posts
DarkStar said:
110 ftlbs is recommended and it should never move. Now, if your adjuster's are moving that is another issue.
I agree 100% with Ed

My .02 here and opinion.... If the axle is torqued to 110 ft~lbs, the caliper bracket is tight,there is no way that the wheel will ever move. The 2-adjusters are doing Jack-$hit at that point in time. There is a tremendous intensification of the inner race components, cushioned huband the rear caliper bracket between the inside of the swing arm extrusion that would prevent the axle from moving, unless you have a False Tightening of the assembly due to improperly fitting bearings in the wheel or hub from imminentfailure or residual chrome plating in the bearing pockets. The twin inner BB on the inside hub of the castwheelare designed to float on their O.D. to achieve the proper preloading against the spacer in the wheel and other components.

The new Raider wheel is using a needle bearing in this position which is an improvement and eliminates the twin inner BB that could contribute to a false tightening.

If the axle was loose, the belt adjusters will only prevent the belt from becoming looser and not tighter IMO.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I had the locknut fail on mine causingbinding during tigntening giving a false torque reading.... Check the threads for stress.....

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
wound up beingtoo littletorque, not sure if chroming the locknut has ruined it but its something I will check frequently

I guess refering to the manual rather then looking at just the fastener size is important too, I probably only had about 68ftlb using my calculated elbows

·
Premium Member
16,372 Posts
Jon_Cocktoastel said:
wound up beingtoo littletorque, not sure if chroming the locknut has ruined it but its something I will check frequently

I guess refering to the manual rather then looking at just the fastener size is important too, I probably only had about 68ftlb using my calculated elbows

Yea, it is important to use a torque wrench on that axle nut.

·
Administrator
29,925 Posts
Not in Jon's case, but generally speaking, this is becoming a common issuepossibly because some folks don't have aservice manual. Speaking of which, is the newer service manual corrected for bolt torque numbers that were originally wrong? I hope so.

Maybe Woody and Ed could post a sticky with the corrected bolts and torque specs to make it easier to refer?

·
Registered
505 Posts
Speaking of which, is the newer service manual corrected for bolt torque numbers that were originally wrong? I hope so.

So has it been corrected?

·
Administrator
29,925 Posts
It never was.

Many of us keep notes as we do things.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts