RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

brand new, Maverick ET-732 - white (details available on link below)

DIGITAL REMOTE BBQ THERMOMETERS — Maverick Housewares

I have been cleaning up and found some items I will not be using, and decided I would get more out of giving it away to someone that wants it here, than going through the trouble of selling it.

Subject to mod's review of course...but mods (zona and sang) should not be excluded from this, as they are members as well!

Reply and post pics of either your grilling/smoking (or home oven cook'n!) set up and/or some of your cooked, smoked or roasted meats to go with it, and I'll pick which will win the thermometer! I'll ship it to you, my treat!*

I dont know if this is a topic (or item) that interests many on here, so i guess we'll find out!:cool::D

*lower 48

·
Registered
7,924 Posts
If it is still available I will take it. I use a smoker and a grill several times throughout the year and especially on holidays.

·
Premium Member
3,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I will really like the thermometer

I like the griddle plate on the grill... Best way to cook burgers! It all looks nicely seasoned as well.

Got any pics of something you cooked to go with it?

·
Premium Member
3,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Premium Member
3,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If it is still available I will take it. I use a smoker and a grill several times throughout the year and especially on holidays.

Its still up for grabs...but post up some kind'a pic... :D

·
Registered
312 Posts
I'll have to try and find a picture of my ribs I made a few months ago. This is the thermometer that they recommend on AmazingRibs.com. You can turn an old weber charcoal grill into an amazing smoker. You can even use it as an ambient temp probe so that it tells you a more precise temp of your grill which makes your smoked goods turn out more delicious.

Edit: I did find the pics of the ribs I made and the Riblets I made from the trimmings after cutting the spare ribs into saint louis style ribs.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
... This is the thermometer that they recommend on AmazingRibs.com.
Its a very good thermo set up for the avid/serious smoke/cook. Works great for regular oven roasts as well. I wouldn't have created this little give away experiment with a piece o'[email protected]!!

... Riblets I made from the trimmings...
NIIICCEEE!!! all those scraps I call "chefs cuts" as when I am carving meats before plating, i also have a pile of fantastic trimmings that I set aside on the carving board for me!!

btw...Nice rib cook!

·
Premium Member
3,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
...the easiest thing to make on the grill is beer can chicken
cant argue... but sometimes, it soo easy, people forget its cooking and let it dryout!!

If they only had a remote thermo to set next to the TV remote so they would just KNOW when its perfect....!!!:eek:

·
Registered
312 Posts
Its a very good thermo set up for the avid/serious smoke/cook. Works great for regular oven roasts as well. I wouldn't have created this little give away experiment with a piece o'[email protected]!!

NIIICCEEE!!! all those scraps I call "chefs cuts" as when I am carving meats before plating, i also have a pile of fantastic trimmings that I set aside on the carving board for me!!

btw...Nice rib cook!
Thank you sir, I've found that applewood seems to taste the best for my palette. I always end up doing one rack with sauce and one without because the missus doesn't like barbecue sauce. I tired to do a pork shoulder on my weber and it dried out pretty bad. But practice makes perfect.

·
Premium Member
3,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
...applewood seems to taste the best for my palette.
That's my goto wood of choice. I have a dehumidifier in the basement and keep my supply of chunks near it to keep them ready!

...tired to do a pork shoulder on my weber and it dried out pretty bad. But practice makes perfect.
Pork shoulder and weber's go together like PB&J!! without seeing what you did, im gonna suggest a few things to see if 1 maybe strikes a chord to help you:

1 - your heat was too high?? 250-275 is what your looking to maintain. If you cooking just by "guessing" the temp...than your cook will never be predictable or repeatable. should take about 5-6 hours for a full NO BONE shoulder. add 2 hours if there's a bone.

2 - indirect heat - make sure your not ROASTING! no coals under or too near!

3 - baste the outside every hour with apple juice cut with water by about 1/4. use real apple just NOT from concentrate. I use a spray bottle. this will keep the outside that has to deal with more heat, moist. Also, the sugars in the juice will caramelize and help to form a bark with your spice rub. sprinkle rub, spritz , let it set and dry out, repeat!

4 - sauce only goes on at the very end of the cook, for only as long as it takes to set the sauce onto the meat...maybe 20 min

4 - when you trim your shoulder, make sure you leave a protective layer of fat, i like to try to keep it to about 1/4-1/3 of an inch...no more, but no less.

5 - after about the first 90 min, there's no need for exposure to smoke as the meat's got all the smoke flavor it will absorb. I like to wrap (its called a crutch) the shoulder in tin foil TIGHTLY (sometimes 3 layers) with about 1/3 of a cup of the same watered down apple juice. Make sure the foil is hugged tightly to the surface of the meat so steam cannot form around the meat. as your internal temp gets near 175, unwrap to get your bark developed again (sprinkle with your rub to absorb moisture, when its dry, spritz it/baste it with apple juice). I prefer to leave the wrapped as they cook quicker!

Its just a matter of consistent heat to break the connective tissue down so its tender while N O T over temping the meat protein so it doesn't squeeze out its moisture. Pork shoulder is done between 185-195 ish. check with a long wooden skewer till it passes deep into meat easily.

Here's a link with some pics of my pork shoulder cooks!---> http://www.rswarrior.com/forums/18-anything-goes-well-almost/196721-i-didnt-drop-time.html#post2932938

·
Premium Member
3,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Grilled some veggies...
Veggies...

Veggies on your grill/BBQ smoker.....?

we do NOT talk about God(s), politics, or veggies on our BBQ grill!!!!

HOWEVER.... credit where credit is due: that is a nice looking bunch'a skewers... ENTRY ACCEPTED!!

PS - your grates look like they are in need of some oil (or meat fats) to season them!!

·
Registered
312 Posts
That's my goto wood of choice. I have a dehumidifier in the basement and keep my supply of chunks near it to keep them ready!

Pork shoulder and weber's go together like PB&J!! without seeing what you did, im gonna suggest a few things to see if 1 maybe strikes a chord to help you:

1 - your heat was too high?? 250-275 is what your looking to maintain. If you cooking just by "guessing" the temp...than your cook will never be predictable or repeatable. should take about 5-6 hours for a full NO BONE shoulder. add 2 hours if there's a bone.

2 - indirect heat - make sure your not ROASTING! no coals under or too near!

3 - baste the outside every hour with apple juice cut with water by about 1/4. use real apple just NOT from concentrate. I use a spray bottle. this will keep the outside that has to deal with more heat, moist. Also, the sugars in the juice will caramelize and help to form a bark with your spice rub. sprinkle rub, spritz , let it set and dry out, repeat!

4 - sauce only goes on at the very end of the cook, for only as long as it takes to set the sauce onto the meat...maybe 20 min

4 - when you trim your shoulder, make sure you leave a protective layer of fat, i like to try to keep it to about 1/4-1/3 of an inch...no more, but no less.

5 - after about the first 90 min, there's no need for exposure to smoke as the meat's got all the smoke flavor it will absorb. I like to wrap (its called a crutch) the shoulder in tin foil TIGHTLY (sometimes 3 layers) with about 1/3 of a cup of the same watered down apple juice. Make sure the foil is hugged tightly to the surface of the meat so steam cannot form around the meat. as your internal temp gets near 175, unwrap to get your bark developed again (sprinkle with your rub to absorb moisture, when its dry, spritz it/baste it with apple juice). I prefer to leave the wrapped as they cook quicker!

Its just a matter of consistent heat to break the connective tissue down so its tender while N O T over temping the meat protein so it doesn't squeeze out its moisture. Pork shoulder is done between 185-195 ish. check with a long wooden skewer till it passes deep into meat easily.

Here's a link with some pics of my pork shoulder cooks!---> http://www.rswarrior.com/forums/18-anything-goes-well-almost/196721-i-didnt-drop-time.html#post2932938

My mistake was that I tried to first smoke it and then finish it in the oven in the house,... without basting it... The inside was fine, but the bark was about 1/4" thick deliciousness that was like chewing cardboard, But tasty ribrub seasoned cardboard. I already planned on trying it the same way next time but to wrap it in foil before I place it in the oven.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts