RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi.I have 02 with dynatek coils 1.5 ohms.Power commander V,Barons big air kit.
And already second ecu is fried’rear cylinder is cut off,spark is fine.No error codes.

Help please

·
Premium Member
1,238 Posts
The ECU on these things is pretty solid. Every ECU I have see that is fried, its just a couple, it was traced back to wiring that was bad. a short circuit somewhere. I would start taking apart the whole wiring and going over each wire.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I tried my faulty ecu on my friends Warrior 02 and same fault,rear cylinder not fiering.

·
Administrator
28,573 Posts
These things are stout. Assuming all the ecu pins are clean and straight it seems more likely something on your bike has damaged the corrosponding ecu circuit. There is an ecu pinout in the manual, and a copy of it in Documentation with circuits identified. That is a place to start trouble shooting your bike before installing a replacement ecu. Use it in conjunction with the manual's trouble shooting section for that error.

·
Premium Member
1,238 Posts
I bought a bike that had a bad ECU. The previous owner hacked up the wiring harness. I never figured out exactly what part of the wiring caused the problem but I followed ever wire from the ECU to where it was going and taped up a lot of cut insulation. I would imagine you have something similar somewhere.

·
Registered
97 Posts
When mine was shaking it just needed to be torqued might b worth putting a wrench on it i replaced bearing with all ballz at the same time

·
Registered
7,926 Posts
So are you saying the rear cylinder is getting spark but does not fire?

If yes, then suggest checking manually to see if fuel is spraying. This sounds like a failing injector that has now failed.
This seems like the most logical approach.

·
Administrator
28,573 Posts
Here it is.

This is odd. The ECU wiring near your ECU is damaged. Yet you said that when you tried your ECU on another Warrior the same trouble duplicated the trouble on your bike. How can this be explained? It seems possible the various information provided to us is confused. The only other explanation could be if, after testing your ECU in the other Warrior, that other Warrior's wiring harness burned-up same way. But neither was reported so neither happened. I do not know how to help you further. It seems likely the best course of action is to forget everything and start over and deal only with known facts as observed and correctly tested by you. Otherwise it seems certain your Warrior will only be further damaged. Respectfully.

·
Premium Member
1,238 Posts
If the ECU is bad then when you put it on another warrior the same bad happens. I have an ECU with a bad Decompression Solenoid circuit. I have put it on 3 warriors and all three will display the code for bad solenoid.

I figure his wiring on his bike got damaged and fried that circuit of the ECU, apparently the circuit to run the rear injector. So if that circuit is toast when you put the ECU on another bike it will all of a sudden display a bad injector on the rear cylinder.

The bike I bought with a bad ECU the ecu got fried from the previous owner hacking the wiring and causing a short, still not sure exactly which short caused the ECU to die. Anyways looks like he has one wire that is bad and I could see that shorting and causing at least part of the ECU to go bad.

·
Administrator
28,573 Posts
It is also possible a failed ECU circuit caused the external wiring to short. So testing the ECU on another bike was dangerous.

Alternatively, if the couple of damaged external wires caused the internal circuit to fail then I would expect to see significant melting in the external wire's copper and it's insulation. Plus probably pin heat-marking to some extent.

So my worry now is offering advice based on information, and having it result in further damage. I also worry that exact thing might already have happened because plenty of suggestions were made to check wires and the ECU was reportedly removed and reinstalled and its certain those bad wires would have been noticed had the damage existed at the time.

I've seen significant damage occur when information is inadequate. Mostly when the OP makes assumptions or has decided advice is unhelpful so bums-rushes-it. This thread is on those railroad tracks.

Suggest testing and observing starting from scratch. Suggest complete wiring checks hand-to-hand combat with meter.

There's things here that do not add-up. Especially considering it seems impossible to have previously missed the wire damage. Hope I am wrong.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I tried friends ecu on my Warrior and fired up fine.I m keep digging in wires.Respect

·
Administrator
28,573 Posts
I tried friends ecu on my Warrior and fired up fine.I m keep digging in wires.Respect
Odd. Broken wires. Maybe the pic is angled so it misrepresents actual conditions. Dunno. Odd.

I see there is a solid black wire just below the damaged black-white, it seems wavy, is that solid black wire toasted too?

There are small numbers at each ECU pin, can you gently manipulate the ECU and post the pin numbers for all suspect wires? Did you already get the pin-out drawing suggested earlier.

·
Premium Member
8,823 Posts
If the ECU is bad then when you put it on another warrior the same bad happens. I have an ECU with a bad Decompression Solenoid circuit. I have put it on 3 warriors and all three will display the code for bad solenoid.

I figure his wiring on his bike got damaged and fried that circuit of the ECU, apparently the circuit to run the rear injector. So if that circuit is toast when you put the ECU on another bike it will all of a sudden display a bad injector on the rear cylinder.

The bike I bought with a bad ECU the ecu got fried from the previous owner hacking the wiring and causing a short, still not sure exactly which short caused the ECU to die. Anyways looks like he has one wire that is bad and I could see that shorting and causing at least part of the ECU to go bad
^^^
+1 to Monty's response above .... I also have Hands-On experience in this arena with many many members, over the 16+ yrs of being active on this site, and have personally diagnosed only 2-bad ECU's caused by External Shorts to the ECU transistor output circuits. My support has mainly been done in the background and most commonly by telephone.
  • Both failures were due to Pilot's error and confirmed by this writer in recent years.
    • The remedy for the 1st failure was replacing the ECU with a known good component and problem solved!
    • The 2nd failure, most recently, was caused when the member was doing Internal Handlebar Wiring which shorted ECU transistor output circuit @ PIN 23.
      • After extensive trouble shooting, verifying safety interlocks, I developed a simple circuit using a properly placed hardware jumper that allowed the user to retain his Flashed Ivan ECU.
        • To confirm my diagnosis, of the shorted circuit, I had the member mail his ECU to me and I installed it on my ride with the same results as his ... "Bike wouldn't start" and was able to confirm no output @ PIN 23
The Warrior ECU is a molded sealed unit that is comprised of semiconductors and other solid state components that are totally encapsulated with a thermally conductive potting compound to dissipate heat from the components.

IMO it's not likely that there will ever be any visual indication of a shorted semiconductor on the surface of the ECU!

When time permits I'll return and reference one of the above mentioned ECU failures with the forum link. The other failure with the Ivan flashed ECU wishes to be anonymous unless he chooses to come forward.

·
Premium Member
8,823 Posts
One of the wires in question HERE, is for sure, from ECU Pin 2, Black/White (-12v) polarity and triggers Front #2 Cyl Coil Primary to fire spark plug as required.

The severed wire HERE, is for sure, from ECU Pin 5, Gray (-12v) polarity and triggers Rear #1 Cyl Fuel Injector as required.
  • I would suggest extracting these 2-Pins from the ECU and repair as required and also use a quality adhesive shrink tubing to protect the conductors.
My .02: If these damaged conductors are from your ride it is unclear to me how your bike would operate properly with an alternate good ECU unless when uncovered the Gray wire severed completely???

Here it is.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts