RS Warrior Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just installed my new Avon's and have almost 300 miles on them when I noticed a tiny screw in my rear tire.

SUCKS BIG TIME!



I wished there was some way to track down who previously owned this screw and go after them for their inept ablilty in keeping track of it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,034 Posts
I know EXACTLY what that feels like. That's how many Kms my bike had on it when it happened to me. Only it was a BIG screw (the one in the tire and the one I got from the dealership). Put a plug in it and wear it out.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
137 Posts
i no just how you feel,put a new set of avons on the bike done about 500 miles then i hadnt been out on it for a phew weeks due to work so then on my day off i just went to see a mate only about 5 miles down the road and picked up a peice of plate steel straight through the back tyre about a 4inch split well pissed off,iff i could trace it back you no where ide stick it(where the sun dont shine)


regards steve
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,386 Posts
AkitaDog said:
Just installed my new Avon's and have almost 300 miles on them when I noticed a tiny screw in my rear tire.


SUCKS BIG TIME!





I wished there was some way to track down who previously owned this screw and go after them for their inept ablilty in keeping track of it.

If you find him use a high torque screwdriver to insert it
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
244 Posts
Ya, the same thing just happened to me this summer too. New avons and two months later a large nail sticking out the side. I tried to get a patch and plug installed, but the shop was unable to puta plug in it, as it went in at a weird angle. He did say that he could install a tube and thatit would work just as well. That worked for about a month, then it failed. Pisses me off, but what can I do? I bought a new tire and had it installed. If you can plug and patch it, do it, but stay away from tubes. Waste of money. So now I have an almost new avon that I can't use.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,835 Posts
I've plugged at least 4 rear tires with no problem. Ran them all down to the coards. If it's in the tread of the tire, I'd just plug it. If it's in the side wall, then replace it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
295 Posts
+1 on pluggin' it. It still sucks, but the plug will make your tire last thru it's normal life. Save yourself a few bucks and get plug kit and do it yourself. They're only about $15 at Auto Zone, and it's pretty much idiot proof.
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
5,909 Posts
If it were me I would get that plug gun that shoots the mushroom head plugs. You can get one at J&P Cycle. There about $40.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,145 Posts
Avon offers a road hazard warranty for the Storms for a limited wear period. Call them and get the details then bring them back to the dealer that you purchased them so they can messure the thread remaining.


They replaced mine free of charge after about 4 weeks of light use. It just takes time to wait for the replacemnt tire.


Good luck
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,145 Posts
OH, I would not plug a tire myself. I am taking a risk being on two tires, and would not like to exerience a tire failure at speed that could have been avoided.


I sometimes ride like a mad man in rush hour and I use both tires.


For me, plugs are just too much of a risk.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
370 Posts
I built tires for 8 years and sold them for 2 years before that. I would plug/patch it with a glue in patch that has the plug attached. If it's done correctly, the tire should wear out before the plug does. Word to the wise, some dealers (auto and otherwise) have been tryinga glue for sidewall splits that they say will hold for the life of the tire. This is a bs move that is extremely unsafe and I would scream **** no while backing out the door and going somewhere reputable.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,760 Posts
gilly said:
If it were me I would get that plug gun that shoots the mushroom head plugs. You can get one at J&P Cycle. There about $40.

I pick up a mushroom plug kit from JC Whitney. Dont remember now how much it cost but it was well worth it. I plugged many tires since from cars to motorcycles and all have held up just fine.
 

·
[Retired Admin-SuperMod]
Joined
·
30,718 Posts
What about on-line purchases?


Mr Noize II said:
Avon offers a road hazard warranty for the Storms for a limited wear period. Call them and get the details then bring them back to the dealer that you purchased them so they can messure the thread remaining.


They replaced mine free of charge after about 4 weeks of light use. It just takes time to wait for the replacemnt tire.


Good luck
 
1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Top