RS Warrior Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took the front wheel off for a new tire this morning. Had a little trouble getting the axle out

" mce_src=""
"

" mce_src="" alt="" border="" hspace="" vspace="" width="" height=""

align="" />

·
Registered
7,929 Posts
I have never seen that on a motorcycle. Looks like your bearing races have been turning on the axle. I had just replaced one of the rear wheel bearings on my bike just before I came to Pigeon Forge last week end. My bike developed a popping sound in the rear wheel, turned out to be the bearing on the right side. I am glad though your wheel did not sieze.

·
Registered
4,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
jabo said:
I have never seen that on a motorcycle. Looks like your bearing races have been turning on the axle. I had just replaced one of the rear wheel bearings on my bike just before I came to Pigeon Forge last week end. My bike developed a popping sound in the rear wheel, turned out to be the bearing on the right side. I am glad though your wheel did not sieze.
Yeah, that would not have been pretty up there in the mountains last week.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
If you want a front axel I have one thats got zero miles on it. I also have front spacers if yours are damaged in any way.

·
Registered
4,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
06_warrior said:
Do you have new bearings and an axle dave?
New bearings installed in the wheel and a new tire mounted today. Driving down to CadFathers in a little while to borrow an axle from him for a few days. Will order a new axle next week. Parts micro fiche show tyhe cost to be only around $30 for anew axle. None of the four "local" (within 150 miles) dealers had one in stock today. I'll be there tomorrow
May have to be on the wifey's Vulcan but I'll get there one way or another. If I have to ride her bike - I'll definantly be wearin' the skirt home.

·
Premium Member
8,959 Posts
jabo said:
......your bearing races have been turning on the axle. I had just replaced one of the rear wheel bearings on my bike just before I came to Pigeon Forge last week end. My bike developed a popping sound in the rear wheel, turned out to be the bearing on the right side. I am glad though your wheel did not sieze.
+1
both the frt brg inner raceshave been spinning on the frt axle. I can only speculate that the frt axle was loose and the brg's weren't preloaded properly against the inner aluminum spacer.

What ever the cause was, you need to do a thorough inspection of all the rotating parts starting with the frt aluminum whl brg bores. Check that the 2-brg's haven't been spinning on the O.D. wearing the whl brg I.D. bores which will effect the interference fit of the brg that is req'd. If the brg was spinning it will be obvious because it will beloose within the whl if you grasp and rock it with your finger! There will also be traces on the O.D. of the brg's and aridge in the whl brg bores.

I would suggest replacing the following parts: Axle, Inner aluminum spacer (between brg), 2-brg's, 2-whl spacers & seals!

[*]The inner aluminum spacer is a precision part thatestablishes the proper preload to the inner races of thefrt whl brg's when the axle is torqued and the frt brg's are properly seated into the whl brgbores.[/list]

If you're hurting for a frt wheel, i have an excellent 3-spokespare that i've been saving if i ever take my bike back to stock

·
Registered
4,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
AlanH said:
+1
both the frt brg inner raceshave been spinning on the frt axle. I can only speculate that the frt axle was loose and the brg's weren't preloaded properly against the inner aluminum spacer.

What ever the cause was, you need to do a thorough inspection of all the rotating parts starting with the frt aluminum whl brg bores. Check that the 2-brg's haven't been spinning on the O.D. wearing the whl brg I.D. bores which will effect the interference fit of the brg that is req'd. If the brg was spinning it will be obvious because it will loose within the whl!

I would suggest replacing the following parts: Axle, Inner aluminum spacer (between brg), 2-brg's, 2-whl spacers & seals!

[*]The inner aluminum spacer is a precision part thatestablishes the proper preload to the inner races of thefrt whl brg's when the axle is torqued and the frt brg's are properly seated into the whl brgbores.[/list]

If you're hurting for a frt wheel, i have an excellent 3-spokespare that i've been saving if i ever take my bike back to stock
Your dead on it Alan, When I loosened the pinch bolts and started to unscrew the axle, it was NOT tight. I replaced the stock wheels with the chrome exchange wheels from Cycle Image last winter. I replaced the bearings (with new ones) last winter, when the wheels were swapped out. The old bearings had to be punched out for removal today. There was not any play or wear in the Wheel bearing bores. Only thing I can think of is that the new bearings that were installed last winter were not completely seated in the bores (from the chroming?) and this allowed the inner spacer to "float" on the axle thus giving me a false "reading" when I tighted the axle last winter. I have ridden over 6000 miles since the install and I guess that allowed the bearings to seat properly or at least some more. I'll get a new inner spacer ordered too. Thanks for your input and thanks for the offer on the wheel, I think I'll be fine though.

·
Registered
4,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
jimmy2 said:
If you want a front axel I have one thats got zero miles on it. I also have front spacers if yours are damaged in any way.
PM Sent

·
Premium Member
8,959 Posts
WarriorDog said:
Your dead on it Alan, When I loosened the pinch bolts and started to unscrew the axle, it was NOT tight. I replaced the stock wheels with the chrome exchange wheels from Cycle Image last winter. I replaced the bearings (with new ones) last winter, when the wheels were swapped out. The old bearings had to be punched out for removal today. There was not any play or wear in the Wheel bearing bores. Only thing I can think of is that the new bearings that were installed last winter were not completely seated in the bores (from the chroming?) and this allowed the inner spacer to "float" on the axle thus giving me a false "reading" when I tighted the axle last winter. I have ridden over 6000 miles since the install and I guess that allowed the bearings to seat properly or at least some more. I'll get a new inner spacer ordered too. Thanks for your input and thanks for the offer on the wheel, I think I'll be fine though.
WarriorDog you get 2-demerits for not keeping your gallery updated
... i always chk the author's gallery specs before responding to this type of topic

IMO, 99.99% of the brg failures are due to chromed wheels .... it is so important to remove alltraces of stray plating before attempting to install the brg's. At the same time it's also important not to remove the parent aluminum mat'l underneaththe stray copper, nickel or chromethat is in the bore.

The brg's will also fail after a peroid of time if they are press fit over the stray plating that causes the O.D. to shrink and seize up the ball brg!

·
Registered
8,333 Posts
Hey Dog, check your owners manual, your bike might be over loaded with you on it.

·
Registered
4,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Churchkey said:
Hey Dog, check your owners manual, your bike might be over loaded with you on it.
Hey - you know you're invited to ride tomorrow - right? I can only imagine the things that will be talked about in your absence.

·
Registered
4,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
AlanH said:
The brg's will also fail after a peroid of time if they are press fit over the stray plating that causes the O.D. to shrink and seize up the ball brg!
I didn't think of that. I got another "loaner" axle from CadFather tonight and will be riding on Saturday. Jimmy2 has a new one that will be on it's way next week. When I swap them out I'll check that. New bearings are not that expensive. Guess I need to pull the rear apart and take a look there too.

·
Registered
8,333 Posts
WarriorDog said:
Churchkey said:

Hey - you know you're invited to ride tomorrow - right? I can only imagine the things that will be talked about in your absence.

Just "wave" hello to the boys for me ok?

·
Registered
6,312 Posts
Reminds me that I need to change my bearings this year. 40k is probably as far as I want to push them.

·
Registered
4,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
ONAGER said:
i wonder if thats my old axle.... hmmmm

Yessir, It is. Thanks very much. A good time was had by all in attendance last Saturday in the mountains of Northern Georgia. Thanks to your axle, I was able to attend also.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts