RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm tearing down the front end and have removed the pinch bolt but the axle seems extremely tight. Is it standard or reverse pitch?

·
Registered
4,938 Posts
I went through the same thing Duke, it's standard!

I may have tried to seperate the colar a little to get her loose but it finaly let go.

gc

·
Administrator
29,923 Posts
Hey Duke, on your bike only, they installed reverse threads. Honest . . .

Seriously tho, I've read many posts saying the axle was so tight it took 50' breaker bars and three Hawaiian wrestlers to break it loose. In a couple cases the fastener and/or axle had to be replaced. Dealers and air guns . . .

·
Registered
4,938 Posts
Just fyi...I search the entire service manual and I don't "think" there is a reverse thread nut or bolt on the bike if I'm not mistaken.

We probably all get this feeling whenever we are trying to remove a bolt of nut and it just seems to not budge....good to know!

·
Registered
4,413 Posts
jscheifley said:
I believe that the rear lock nut on the shift linkage is reversed.

And one of the mirrors...

·
Premium Member
2,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I hated to even ask because I've had that wheel off at least four times but not since a local shop replaced the bearings. Can you say "impact wrench"? If it had been tighterned to spec I wouldn't have had this problem, but when it's super tight and can't be budged you start thinking juat maybe I'm turning it the wrong way.

I was using a bolt/locknuts combo and an end wrench to break it loose. Sad part is I ended up tearing a muscle in my lower abdomen so I'm a bit gimpy at present. I ended up cutting the hex end off a chisel and breaking it loose with a deepwell socket and a 1/2" drive ratchet.It took a good hard kick down on the wrench to break it loose.

Anyway, I appreciate the responses. You guys are always quick to help and it's much appreciated. Now I think I'll crash in my recliner and attempt to get some rest. After all, I'll be 60 this coming week.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts