RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've recently noticed that my front pads are rattling inside the caliper. I checked the pads out and there is plenty of material still on them. After speaking to a friend of mine,he suggested a few possibilities and he then noticed that my brake lever can be pulled all the way in until it touches the bar. Which hebelieves shouldn't happen.The bike stopseasily enough without the need to pull the lever all the way in. He believes the problem is that the front brake cylinder is not operating correctly.

I bought my bike brand new and although it's the 06 model with radial mounted brakes and braided lines (which is supposed to be better).I have never been overly impressed with the braking performance. My mate has a 05 and I believe his brakes were stronger. I suppose I just got used to it.

My questions are this :

1:Should the lever stop before touching the bar?

2:Do you believe the master cylinder is faulty?

3:Can the cylinder be bought as a kit if it is faulty?

4:How easy is it to repair

5:Any other theories?

I'll beobliged if anyone can help. Tosh.

·
Premium Member
1,482 Posts
Firstly....No...the lever should not pull all the way to the bar.

If the level is good in the resevoir then that rules out a leak.

YouCAN get a repair kit..Remove a circlip and the assembly pulls out.

It might be worth pulling the calipers off the bike to make sure the pistons are working ok, then try bleeding the brakes.

Lastly, moisture in the brake fluid reduces the boiling point, this in turn reduces the brake performance, check the fluid to make sure it looks clean.

ps.

If you do the cylinder repair, keep the open end of the brake line up high so as not to lose any fluid. When youhave everything reconnected, fill the brake fluid from the nipple on the caliper. This stops you having to pump air through the system. It makes bleeding the brakes easy.

Nick

·
Super Moderator
5,777 Posts
If there is nothing wrong with you master cyclinder,or your calipers, there is a front brake lever adjustment. Try adjusting the little screw and check that out. It will give you a little more bite.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Warrior_uk said:
When you ahve everything reconnected, fill the brake fluid from the nipple on the caliper. This stops you having to pump air through the system. It makes bleeding the brakes easy.

SOrry, dont mean to thread jack, but how do you fill the brake fluid through the nipple. I just put braided lines on my Warrior but havent bled the lines yet.

·
Premium Member
1,482 Posts
I use a small syringe I got from a pharmacy. I connect it to some small bore tubing, push itover the nipple and open up the nipple a little.

I've used the same syringe and the same method on all my bike, never had a problem.

Don't force it, just apply slight pressure and it will fill from the bottom, pushing out the air at the top.

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
I actually just saw something for this on the tv show "Gearz" it looks like a my-t-vac but it pushes fluid instead of vacuuming

1 - 9 of 9 Posts