RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 03, I think I bent a fork on it, I'm looking for replacements but I need some help, if i get 06 and up forks will they work for my wheel, will I need to change more than just the calipers for the radial brakes? Is it worth the upgrade? I would like better front brakes.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
350 Posts
mjerney,

Sorry for your troubles. I have an 03' also. So if I am wrong on this, someone please jump in as I do not want to give out bad info. As to your utilizing forks from an 06 you can do it but it will require the calipers, rotors and wheels from the 06' and up. The set-up is not compatible with the rotor/wheel setup on the 03'. I replaced the oem rotors and pads on my 03' with Galfer pads, rotors, brake lines and brake fluid and my brakes are pretty impressive compared to oem. I hope this helps. I am going to pm you. Ride Safe and Be Safe.
Rg

·
Administrator
28,573 Posts
I have an 03, I think I bent a fork on it, I'm looking for replacements but I need some help, if i get 06 and up forks will they work for my wheel, will I need to change more than just the calipers for the radial brakes? Is it worth the upgrade? I would like better front brakes.

IMO just from reports here over the years, the 06+ front end is noticibly more capable. If I ever need to do a structural repair I would prefer if possible to gather those materials and swap the entire system including master cylinder.

Others have gone to R1 front end but my choice would still be the Warrior stuff. It has a look that I like. And the front brakes are better, just ride someone's 06+ awhile.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I like the bigger wheel on the warrior than the r1, but I do like the performance perks of r1, I was hoping I would not have to change wheel, it's a lot more invested to do the whole front and probably hard to find, I'm not sure what you mean about the master cylinder, I have not followed the discussions as closely on that. Wish I knew someone that was doing r1 conversion that I could talk out of their own set on a newer bike.

·
Premium Member
8,823 Posts

All you'll need to replace are the Radial Mount Calipers that accompany the later Forks for the '06' & up Warrior.
  • Your stock 3-spoke front wheel, axle and rotors can be used as a direct bolt on.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's great news, what is the difference in the master cylinders

·
Premium Member
8,823 Posts
I like the bigger wheel on the warrior than the r1, but I do like the performance perks of r1, I was hoping I would not have to change wheel, it's a lot more invested to do the whole front and probably hard to find, I'm not sure what you mean about the master cylinder, I have not followed the discussions as closely on that. Wish I knew someone that was doing r1 conversion that I could talk out of their own set on a newer bike.

There is no mechanical difference between the early & late Warrior master cylinders (MC) other than the reservoir capacity. They all share the same piston rebuild kit and other parts except for the cast body of the MC.

IMO the slightly larger fluid reservoir capacity can aid in cooling for the aluminum equipped pistons in the later radial mount calipers in the most extreme conditions :)
  • The radial mount calipers are also lighter which contribute to less unsprung weight ;)

·
Premium Member
8,823 Posts
And better stopping performance?

Nothing you'll notice imo.

Approx difference between Early & Late MC

·
Premium Member
8,823 Posts
If you want to improve your current Warrior front brake performance I would suggest upgrading to high performance brake lines.
If you're looking for a quantum leap in brake performance then upgrade to a late R1 front end with radial mount pump

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Really? I thought that was the big reason behind the change in styles.... that's more info on my education.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm just not as fond of the smaller front wheel.....

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
But after a small tangle with another rider my steering is off so I'm guessing I bent a fork some making a change necessary.....i guess I'm looking for low cost but best outcome to address repairs that I hope get it back to the beast I love

·
Administrator
28,573 Posts
Really? I thought that was the big reason behind the change in styles.... that's more info on my education.

The early bikes have a front pad chatter and squeel issue that pops-up now and again, and requires repetitive work that is annoying. It happens more often after high-speed riding in spirited conditions like mountains on hot days. The later bikes do not seem to suffer it.

So IMO the later brakes perform better because they provide more repeatable slowing and stopping power.

I have stainless braid lines and they improve things a thousand percent. But riding the newer bikes with radial brakes is a noticable improvement if you ride the bike the way God intended 🏴‍☠️

·
Administrator
28,573 Posts
But after a small tangle with another rider my steering is off so I'm guessing I bent a fork some making a change necessary.....i guess I'm looking for low cost but best outcome to address repairs that I hope get it back to the beast I love

What kind of tangle?

You know, sometimes what you do is get the front on blocks just barely off the ground, loosen only the two forks in the trees just enough that you can grab the front end and jiggle it allowing the assembly to re-square itself. Plus maybe check if any handlebar impact bend exists.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So when riding if I do a nice s in my lane about 50ish it doesn't respond the same both ways, one way is trying to flop over the other i have to work at.....i can try this to see if something is bound but I have issues with the seals in these shocks already, they don't seem to go even 2 years before leaking.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So while merging into another country road, the rider in front of me uncharacteristically decided to brake while I was looking back to be sure it was clear, my front end hit his rear, broke my foot peg and bent the shifter, damaged the fork protector on that side, we both rode home with some small repairs to do but mine doesn't handle right, and that is something I can't live with so I'm looking for the source. Suspect a fork is lil bent but plan to change bottom tripple out while I'm at it.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I tried to miss him and my foot peg hit his rear drive pully, fork hit for peg i believe, another couple ones would have cleared but couldn't get there.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts