RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in search of a front tire for the beast and was wondering what are some recommendations? I notice most cruiser tires are 130/70-18 , but the stock one is 120/70-18. Will the 130mm fit?

Thanks in advance for everyone's help.

·
Premium Member
2,916 Posts
There are several out there. I have the Dunlop Elite III 130/70R18 and love the handling.

·
Registered
999 Posts
I have the Michelin Pilot GT 130/70-18. I love it. It fills the gap between the tire and fender, drives nice, and has gone about 3500 miles (so far), and still looks brandnew.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I have the bridgestone exedra 120 70-18 didnt know you could put the 130 on there. doesnt look like there is much room under the fender.

·
Registered
850 Posts
i also have the Dunlop Elite III 130/70R18. duke turned me on to it. i love it. it fills the fender and looks and rides great. check out my gallery.

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
BOSSMAN2677 said:
I have the Michelin Pilot GT 130/70-18. I love it. It fills the gap between the tire and fender, drives nice, and has gone about 3500 miles (so far), and still looks brandnew.

That's a bias ply tire, isn't it?? Not recommended.

·
Premium Member
8,921 Posts
Bladerunr said:
BOSSMAN2677 said:

That's a bias ply tire, isn't it?? Not recommended.
+1 ... Bias it is ...

·
Registered
789 Posts
I put a set of michelin pr2 on the warrior and went back to the 120/70/18 on the front because I had metzlers on before with a 130/70/18 on the front. I have 2 miles of dirt road to get to my house and the rocks seemed to migrate between the tire and the fender. Lots of noise but fortunately no ripples in the fender. I'm sure it would happen eventually, so back to the 120's I went.

·
Premium Member
8,921 Posts
BOSSMAN2677 said:
Ok, I'm stupid. Why isnt it recommended?
In Bladerunr's case it's like the Pot calling the Kettle Black since he has been known to run a Federal 595 225/45-r17 on the rear of his bike
J/K and i just jumped in on the bandwagon after reviewing the tire specs.I have been schooled not to mix bias & radial tires because of the difference intire construction.

The Pilot GT was developed very specifically, as ahigh mileagetire,for theheavy GL1500 bike according to Michelin and is a biased-ply tire.

Your question can best be answered technicallyby doing a Yahoo or GoogleSearch using the following as an example, "mixing bias and radial tires on motorcycles" ... here are some returns:

[*]http://www.dunlopmotorcycle.com/infocenter_faq.asp?id=2
[*]http://www.wingworldmag.com/archives/may2005/magazine/article/TireBasics.html
[*]http://forums.motorcyclistonline.com/70/6809084/mc-garage-tech/mixing-tires/index.html
[*]http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/379/749/Motorcycle-Article/Motorcycle-Tires-Product-Guide.aspx[/list]

Now here’s a contradictory example
and the reason being is because of the tire size & profile (aspect ratio)

Star 2008-2009 Raider

[*]
Custom 5-spoke wheels carry a 120/70-21-inch bias tire up front, and a wide, 210/40-18 radial out back—the tallest and widest ever on a Star.[/list]

·
Registered
359 Posts
I will be starting my 240 build next month and decided on Dunlops. The Elite III 240 out back and the Road Smart radial up front. Both have similar thread patterns.

Xander

·
Registered
999 Posts
Thanks Alan, I have just spent the last two hours on Google. Most places say to use the oem recomended tire.(playing it safe) But, others have said that bias ply on front, and radial on back is OK, but not the reverse. Using bias ply on the front will cause handeling differences, but so does alot of other things(lowering kit). ****, even when you put new tires on, the handeling is different. I dont drive crazy fast, I was just looking for a high mileage tire. I live in Florida, so all roads are straight. Not alot of twisties here. I will be careful, and if I find any negative handeling, I will make you all aware.

·
Premium Member
8,921 Posts
BOSSMAN2677 said:
Thanks Alan, I have just spent the last two hours on Google. Most places say to use the oem recomended tire.(playing it safe) But, others have said that bias ply on front, and radial on back is OK, but not the reverse. Using bias ply on the front will cause handeling differences, but so does alot of other things(lowering kit). ****, even when you put new tires on, the handeling is different. I dont drive crazy fast, I was just looking for a high mileage tire. I live in Florida, so all roads are straight. Not alot of twisties here. I will be careful, and if I find any negative handeling, I will make you all aware.
A recent post of mine that might be of interest to you and i was just on the wear bars ..... i expect as you stated based on your road conditions you'll probably do better .....

AlanH said:
kresnanto said:
Does anyone ever try 130/70/18 on the front?
I just replaced this Metzler ME880 Marathon 130/70HR18 VTX1800 - MFG # 110-13361after 16,111 miles:

Read the 2-enclosed threads and note frt fender clearance with this taller tire

Front Metzler Tire http://rswarrior.com/forums/p/24530/363022.aspx#363022

Tire http://rswarrior.com/forums/p/5674/91413.aspx#91413

·
Premium Member
8,921 Posts
MD-82 said:
I will be starting my 240 build next month and decided on Dunlops. The Elite III 240 out back and the Road Smart radial up front. Both have similar thread patterns.

Xander
This might be of some interest to you regarding rear tire sizes and the 240 Dunlop Elite 3

AlanH said:
Fri, Jan 30 2009 10:59 PM
Rear tire size

Enclosing a snap shot of an unpublished Excel spreadsheet that shows various populartire sizes sorted in asending order by Diameter. As you can see the Dunlop D205 - 200/55R17 at 26.10"is a very tall tire indeedbecause of the aspect ratio and construction and at the same timevery narrow at 7.36" compared to the stock tire at7.90".

There is a genuine misunderstanding by many members regarding tire sizes and wheel diametersas can be seen by this example of the D205. It is just 0.10" shorter than the 250/40R18Dunlop Elite 3 @ 26.20" .... the upside is that with thislarger tire you willpick upapprox 5.2% mph over the stock size.

The new tire must be properly mounted to therim before making any evaluations

A good source for tire interference is a recent topic by Ken akaBladerunrwith the Avon Cobra AV72 and his problem with the taller tireat 25.90" hitting the inner fender at stock height.

Idon't think there should be a problem with the larger tread diameter rubbing the swing arm pivot casting that connects to the shockif you're running the stock frt 32T pulley.

Ihope youchk'd the tire date code on the sidewall. I always have the seller e-mail that info before bidding on an auction. I've personally experienced tires being sold on 2 occasionsthatwere5 & 8 yrs old!

·
Registered
999 Posts
AlanH said:
BOSSMAN2677 said:
A recent post of mine that might be of interest to you and i was just on the wear bars ..... i expect as you stated based on your road conditions you'll probably do better .....

AlanH said:
kresnanto said:
Does anyone ever try 130/70/18 on the front?
I just replaced this Metzler ME880 Marathon 130/70HR18 VTX1800 - MFG # 110-13361after 16,111 miles:

Read the 2-enclosed threads and note frt fender clearance with this taller tire

Front Metzler Tire http://rswarrior.com/forums/p/24530/363022.aspx#363022

Tire http://rswarrior.com/forums/p/5674/91413.aspx#91413

Thanks again Alan, 16.111 miles, thats awesome. I will use the metz. on the next tire change, but from the wear so far, it looks like that wont be for awhile.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Alan,

from what I read it appeared that using the Elite 3, someone got tire rubbing on the inner fenders. I'm debating whether that extra 3 mm is worth the extra $120 to get a Metz. Arent' there any motorcycle 240/35-18's out there? I may need to get a custom BMS fender after all. Hehehe!

·
Premium Member
2,916 Posts
MD-82 said:
Alan,

from what I read it appeared that using the Elite 3, someone got tire rubbing on the inner fenders. I'm debating whether that extra 3 mm is worth the extra $120 to get a Metz. Arent' there any motorcycle 240/35-18's out there? I may need to get a custom BMS fender after all. Hehehe!

I believe you will find that the tire rub was with a 250/260. I had the Dunlop 240 on my bike for 1-1/2 years with a DIY swingarm and no problems at all. I may be repeating some stuff but the advantage to going with an 8-1/2" rim with the Metz is that you have a rim that will accommodate a 260 if you decide to go larger in the future. Several members have gone with an 8" rim and the Dunlop 240 and have had great results. The advantage to that combo is less stock removal from the swingarm and the Dunlop costs a lot less than the Metz. Wear is nearly the same. You can actually use the Dunlop on an 8-1/2" rim but the lip of the rim actually extends out farther than the sidewall of the tire and the tire does not snug up to the lip of the rim completely. The bead will still seal and you will have zero problems with the tire. That's what I was using for that 1-1/2 years. I just didn't like the gap between the tire and the lip of the rim although no one noticed it. I ended up going with a modified swingarm from Crown and a Dunlop 250.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Thanks for the tips Pep. I was thinking of going 8.5 with the Dunlop too. In your opinion is the extra 0.6 inches of the Dunlop 250 over the Metz too much for just a DIY swingarm?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts