RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am about to replace my front tire, a Dunlop 120 - the rear tire is an almost new Bridgestone 200. Any recommendation on the best tire to go with? - Thanks

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
I'm using this one on the front...

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/item.aspx?style=10928&department=647&division=6

Am using a Maxxim on the rear.

·
Registered
11,588 Posts
If I was using a bridgestone on the back I would use it up front.. I do like my metzler 130 65 18 80 series

·
Registered
6,312 Posts
"In order to have the best performance, you have to match your front and rear tires."

I think that would be a matter of opinion. Since the rear wear at at least twice the rate of the front you are most likely going to have an odd match from time to time. Unless you are planning a road racing career I wouldn't worry about mixing the brands.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
My front wears out first! (Darn those corners......) Try putting a post in the "parts wanted" forum, I'll bet you can find an "almost new" used Battlax. I'd match the tires. It doesn't cost extra, better safe than sorry.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
i change bike tires for a living & so far the metzler me880s are showing the most even wear. i have a metzler up front & a battleaxe out back

·
Registered
629 Posts
I believe tread patterns are for water dispersal only. Profile and adhesion to the road surface matter more for matching.

·
Registered
4,835 Posts
the only real matching that needs to be done is that they both should be radial or both be bias ply. Don't mix bias ply with radial. Other than that, mix and match, it don't really matter. Have run dunlop front with bridgestone back. now am running a fairly new batlax front with exedra back. Handles just fine.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
quote:Originally posted by Dice

the only real matching that needs to be done is that they both should be radial or both be bias ply. Don't mix bias ply with radial. Other than that, mix and match, it don't really matter. Have run dunlop front with bridgestone back. now am running a fairly new batlax front with exedra back. Handles just fine.

Let me clarify: Correct, as long as your riding in an everyday fashion, commuting, etc., just make sure their both radials. Also, keep the softness/hardness rubber compound a close match. If you are in any competative riding/racing mode, (that's a different story) tires are a huge factor.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I ended up going with the Metzler frnt/Battlax back like Pigdog has. 30 miles on it and it handles very well, big difference from my worn front dunlop. Thanks for all the tips.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am thinking of doing the 240 conversion and would like to go with the ME880 Metzler 240/40/18 on the rear. However, Metzler doesn't offer a tire for the stock size in that series (120/70/1/emoticons/emotion-11.gif. Any suggestions? Would I look for the ME880 in a 130 size instead? Will it fit in the stock fender, etc? Or, should I use the ME880 on the rear, and a Metzler Z6 on the front (since they offer a 120/70/18 option)?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts