RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

So i believe i forgot the oil seal, o ring, and spacer?

I bought a new oil seal and o ring already,.. does the o ring go on that beviled metal pieace right before the shaft with the teeth?

I should be able to fill up my gear oil with out taking off the exhaust right?

Michael

·
Premium Member
8,912 Posts
I responded to your problem earlier this year and explained where the o-ring resides
http://rswarrior.com/forums/p/115039/935680.aspx#935680

Your hosted photo, even when zoomed in and panning, isn't clear to me as to the chamfers because of the reflections
... it also looks like the back of your pulley has been rubbing the aluminum fins of the middle shaft case housing unless you did that. You also never responded in your earlier post to myrequest of what 1-1/2" pulley youwere using
.... GOOD LUCK

Here's a photo from a recent post even though it's the earlier middle shaft the spacer is the same if i'm not mistaken: http://rswarrior.com/forums/p/118963/961669.aspx#961669

This is the proper placement of the hardened spacer w/ the chamfer on the O.D. facing the back of the pulley
... Be sure it goes together exactly like this else you will leak transfer fluid! The smallo-ring is behind the spacer between the inner brg race and the spacer which has a small chamfer on the I.D. and seals the fluid from leaking around the middle shaft O.D. The large mechanical seal prevents fluid from leaking around the O.D. of the spacer. You need to remove the spacer and check the small o-ring that is pushed inside against the brg race

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I shaved down the inside of my case, its a road star 32T front pulley. I believe my confusion stems from that fact that i believe my bike never had these Oil seal, O ring, or spacer. Here is my first thread, which shows a picture with my old pulley off, and no oil seal that i can tell. http://rswarrior.com/forums/t/29080.aspx?PageIndex=1

The earlier posts made sense too me, until i found time to take my bike apart, and then when i couldnt pull off anything, my confusion set in. I spent 30 minutes trying to figure out a way to yank the back of it off. Thinking that the O ring goes behind there somewhere.

Going to go load some more detail pics, gotta love laptops in the garage.

Where does the spacer go, i can't tell what it is based off your picture.
This is how i believe it goes right now.

From

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/NKp90QlGgECl-slCC6OCvAFrom 1.5inch belt" mce_src="

And this is another picture of what it looked like before.

From 1.5inch belt

I do appreciate the help,

Michael

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
got them all switched out.

Now i gotta do a search and figure out how to fill up the transfer gear oil.

·
Premium Member
8,912 Posts
Well it looks like your spacer is on backward in both the above photos. Why don't you post a photo of the spacer like sideA & B? This isn't rocket science. The chamfer on the inside diameter of the spacer faces the brg & seal and the o-ring is inbetween.

The o-ring inyour 1st photo is not positioned correctly as stated and the mechanical seal isn't installed properly. It should be flush with the housing
... the sharp chamfer on the O.D. of the spacer faces the back ofthe pulley.

If you don't understand the photo i posted and the dialog i can't help you on this
..... the url to the original thread is quite difinitive with and without the hardened spacer.

I forgot about answering to your thread: My 1st real mod. 1.5" belt

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the help AlanH. I understood it all in the end.

the root of all my problems is, that the dealer overfilled my oil. I unscrewed the checking bolt, and oil poured out, so far about 2 cups, and its still draining.

Michael

1 - 7 of 7 Posts