RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I replaced the fuel pump on my 2002 warrior 1700 because low pressure was causing the motor to cut out shortly after I started a trip. 1miles or less. It was easy to replace the in-tank pump but now I can get the motor to start.

Is there some way to bleed the system or prime it?

It's possible the new factory pump is bad but not likely. Haven't done much work to this bike so it's fairly new to me.
Could use some insight.

·
Registered
814 Posts
When you first turn the key on do you hear the pump start to run? Are you sure you hooked up the fuel lines correctly?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
27,703 Posts
Could I ask a couple question first? How did you verify the fuel pump was the culprit. You said you bought a factory pump which would mean an assembly that includes the pump and sensor. If this is not correct then what brand and part number pump did you buy, is it aftermarket or actually from Yamaha and for the RSW? Did you do any other mods or repairs before the fuel pump failed and did you do any other mods or repairs at the same time you replaced the fuel pump?

·
Registered
920 Posts
I replaced the fuel pump on my 2002 warrior 1700 because low pressure was causing the motor to cut out shortly after I started a trip. 1miles or less.
Just checking are you sure your dry breaks are clicked in all the way.. I know its probably a silly question, but it doesn't hurt to ask.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
When you first turn the key on do you hear the pump start to run? Are you sure you hooked up the fuel lines correctly?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
No I don't hear it but I didn't hear the old one either. I also don't feel any vibration from it when I turn the key. As for these fuel lines they are pretty impossible to connect incorrectly.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Could I ask a couple question first? How did you verify the fuel pump was the culprit. You said you bought a factory pump which would mean an assembly that includes the pump and sensor. If this is not correct then what brand and part number pump did you buy, is it aftermarket or actually from Yamaha and for the RSW? Did you do any other mods or repairs before the fuel pump failed and did you do any other mods or repairs at the same time you replaced the fuel pump?
The Yamaha dealer told me the pump was the issue. Low pressure. The replacement pump is from Yamaha. Used the factory parts # to order. Side by side with the old one they are an exact match. I did replace the battery before switching the pump but it was still starting fine until I replaced the pump.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Do you mean the one central hardline hose connection. If so than yes.
There are 2 dry breaks one on the left hand side by the air scoop and one under the seat. If they are not clicked in all the way fuel flow can stop from the main tank to the secondary tank and cause the bike to act like its not getting fuel

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
There are 2 dry breaks one on the left hand side by the air scoop and one under the seat. If they are not clicked in all the way fuel flow can stop from the main tank to the secondary tank and cause the bike to act like its not getting fuel
Unfortunately that's not the issue. I disconnected and reconnected both to make sure when I was looking over it after it wouldn't start. Didn't know that's what you call that type of fitting.
Thanks

·
Super Moderator
27,703 Posts
Awesome, thanks. I've learned to get clarity on this question before moving ahead.

I have not heard of a factory replacement fuel pump having trouble at install.

Did they remove/test both fuel injectors?

How was the fuel manager looked-into?

The Yamaha dealer told me the pump was the issue. Low pressure. The replacement pump is from Yamaha. Used the factory parts # to order. Side by side with the old one they are an exact match. I did replace the battery before switching the pump but it was still starting fine until I replaced the pump.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts