RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(I posted the following on the STAR Touring Warrior message board, thought I'd post it here too.)

Hi all,

I've started doing a little preliminary looking in regards to what my next ride will be, looking to trade in a year or so, two at the most.

Since the Warrior came out (the fall after I purchased my V-Star 1100 Custom), I had thought it would probably be my next bike. And while it's still up there on the list, I have to admit a model by a certain competing manufacturer has caught my eye for a number of design, engineering and financial reasons.

Then a couple of thoughts occured:

1. I believe the current Warrior is in it's 4th model year ('04-'07?) in it's current form, is it not? Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, and I'm sure you will.[/emoticons/emotion-1.gif]
2. There are emissions requirements coming up in the next few years that need to be met (you'll note the latest Star designs are all water-cooled, and even that venerable institution in Milwaukee is looking at going that route).

So here's the question:

Has anyone heard, seen, dreamed, visioned, etc. any info, rumors or scuttlebutt regarding whether there are any significant changes in store for the Warrior, when they might occur, and what they might be?

While we're at it, what would those of you who currently ride Warriors LIKE to see changed or done differently from the factory?

·
Registered
7,926 Posts
Mines an 02. So I am pretty sure they made them prior to 04. As for upcoming emissions, they don't back up and make the pre stringent emissions models conforn to the new standards. Buy now and you don't have to sweat it. Water coling? eeeeeeeeekkkk.

·
Registered
3,582 Posts
watercooling and shaft drive?!?!?! NEVER!!! i do hear of a plastic bike that is like that though, wouldnt call them a competitor though.....

as for what would i like or see differently? not a **** thing!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
quote:Originally posted by jabo

Mines an 02. So I am pretty sure they made them prior to 04. As for upcoming emissions, they don't back up and make the pre stringent emissions models conforn to the new standards. Buy now and you don't have to sweat it. Water coling? eeeeeeeeekkkk.

Yes, 2002 was the first model year of the Warrior. I bought my V-Star April '01 and the Warriors started coming off the line that fall. But I think they made a few changes that were implemented starting with the '04s.

I don't care whether it's water cooled or not. But there are some things I would like to see changed (more fuel and/or an overdrive gear, for starters, and a stock exhaust that isn't so ghastly), and if there is any chance of them being changed it would be while redesigning to either freshen it up in the market or to meet emissions regs.

It's not that what I perceive as the Warrior's shortcomings can't be corrected (custom fabricated tank, Roadie 5th gear, aftermarket exhaust). But why would I plunk down $12k for a bike that needed that much time, MONEY and d***ing around right out of the box?

·
Registered
6,800 Posts
quote:Originally posted by Trekker
But why would I plunk down $12k for a bike that needed that much time, MONEY and d***ing around right out of the box?

Then don't buy one.[}/emoticons/emotion-1.gif]

No bike is perfect, take that V-Star or yours...certainly not perfect. The warrior is a much better power plant to 'dick around with.' From my experience Yamaha isn't big on changing models that drastically, especially with only 5 years or so in to production.

·
Registered
4,703 Posts
No bike is perfect as it comes from the factory. As far as the exhaust. Yes it is ugly. But there wasn't much else they can do to meet noise requirements and still perform. With that in mind, I think they made the correct decision on the exhaust. Mine is an '02 and never had the stock exhaust on it. The muffler was donated to an artist.

·
Registered
235 Posts
thats the whole fun of it is doing those mods and making those changes. otherwise, what do you have? someone elses bike. the aftermarket for this bike is GREAT, and it extends MUCH farther than changing the exhaust. i did like most of the stock warrior 'look' and the components, and i liked it stock (its the reason i bought it) but once you see what others have done, youll get your own ideas and want to do your own things to it too (hopefully)

why is this 'competing manufacturer' such a secret... what other bike(s) are you considering?

·
Premium Member
16,372 Posts
Quite Honestly....Sounds more like you are making excuses not to purchase a Warrior. Good Luck in your Search. You should consider other makes like a Suzuki or a Honda.....I hear they are making more of what you want out of the crate.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
quote:Originally posted by xenarchi

No bike is perfect, take that V-Star or yours...certainly not perfect.

Agree 100%. The point is that for each person's vision of perfection, some bikes start out closer than others. In 2001, for me that was the V-Star. Now in 2006, I'm tired of scraping the footpegs and would like something a little better at slinking through the twisties, but I still want decent range for the cross-country jaunts.

quote:From my experience Yamaha isn't big on changing models that drastically, especially with only 5 years or so in to production.

Now we're getting to what this thread was meant to be about. [/emoticons/emotion-1.gif] The likelihood of changes to the Warrior in the next 2-3 years, and what they might entail.

So will the current production Warrior meet emissions unchanged or with only minor tweaking?

·
Registered
11,588 Posts
quote:Originally posted by sangathor

All you have to do is look at the mostly unchanged V-max and you will have your answers.

Exactly.....

Sometimes I think there should be a test to buy a Warrior...

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
Other than the stock exhaust, which many folks keep, the only major short comming would be volume of the gas tank. If I had all the funds in the world, I'd still get a Warrior, But like most of us here, it was love at first sight. I don't see any major changes in the future either. Maybe a Warrior is not for you. If it is you'll be getting a great versatile bike and a great web site to support it (and you).

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
quote:Originally posted by robbie_racecar

thats the whole fun of it is doing those mods and making those changes. otherwise, what do you have? someone elses bike. the aftermarket for this bike is GREAT, and it extends MUCH farther than changing the exhaust. i did like most of the stock warrior 'look' and the components, and i liked it stock (its the reason i bought it) but once you see what others have done, youll get your own ideas and want to do your own things to it too (hopefully)

For me the whole fun of it is RIDING [/emoticons/emotion-5.gif]. Sure I like the end result of making changes, but the process: not so much. And I love the looks myself, except for the misplaced crotch rocket muffler.[}/emoticons/emotion-1.gif]

quote:why is this 'competing manufacturer' such a secret... what other bike(s) are you considering?

Sorry, wasn't meant as a secret, just not relevant to the discussion I was trying to start: what the next 2-3 years holds for production Warriors.

Looking at the Kawasaki 1600 Mean Streak: more fuel, tolerable stock pipes, lower sticker price (all 3 of which mean more money available to mod the things I'd rather be working on). Not saying it's better than the Warrior, but for my wants/needs it does make it worth considering.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I do not see many changes coming for the Warrior. Why alter perfection? It has the sport bike handling with the inverted forks and the sleek look and comfort of a cruiser. Only that I plan on changing is getting risers, changed my grips and putting the power commander and exhaust on it. The Warrior is on the of the few bikes that comes from the factory looking good. For instance, we have a 2004 Honda VTX, brand new around $9,000, depending on what model it is. We have so many mods on it that we can not sell it for what we have put into it. Now that the husband wants a warrior we are torn because we have spents so much time on the VTX that we don't want to throw that down the tubes. I agree with others, it sounds like you are making excuses. If you wanted it that bad you would just get it and not care what others think. Either you like it how it is or you wait and wait on changes that no one is sure are even coming.

·
Super Moderator
13,703 Posts
I can see why you didn't want to tell us what the other bike was. The Meanie is a great girls bike (no offense, bikerchick). [/emoticons/emotion-5.gif] LOL just kidding. It's is more comfortable out of the box but is a dog compared to the warrior and shouldn't even be compared to it. The Meanie is more of a traditional cruiser like your V-star, where as the Warrior is a power cruiser with handling to boot. Whatever makes you happy, though. My personal opinion is there will be no changes worth mentioning made to the Warrior till the day they decided to discontinue it. Buy what you want and make it your own. I did, and I still have lots of time to ride.

·
Registered
377 Posts
quote:Originally posted by DarkStar

Quite Honestly....Sounds more like you are making excuses not to purchase a Warrior.

Doesn't sound like it to me.....he brings up some valid observations.

No changes I'm aware of in the future.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
quote:Originally posted by DarkStar

Quite Honestly....Sounds more like you are making excuses not to purchase a Warrior.

Just trying to make a realistic assessment of what I perceive to be the Warrior's weaknesses with respect to my personal wants/needs (as someone else said, no bike is perfect). Not saying it doesn't have outstanding strengths.

quote:You should consider other makes like a Suzuki or a Honda.....I hear they are making more of what you want out of the crate.

It's precisely my problem that they do not.[/emoticons/emotion-1.gif] In looking for the bike closest to my current "vision of perfection" (i.e. the best foundation to start making changes on), the only models with a chance at being contenders are the Warrior and the Mean Streak. Each with it's pros and cons, and where they sum out with respect to each other for my purposes is yet to be seen.

Unfortunately, none of this pertains to the topic I was hoping to discuss: what do the next few years hold for the Warrior?

1 - 20 of 63 Posts