RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this is for those that may not know. This applies to those people that are not diong any piston upgrades. Along with the replacment of 4th gear and all you gaskets, you will also get new psiton rings. So after you get your bike back, you may want take it easy for the first couple hundred miles for the rings to break in.

Of course, there are those that don't like this rule[/emoticons/emotion-2.gif] and ride it any way that suits thir needs[8D]

·
Registered
339 Posts
I was thinking about this same thing when I was running this morning. What is the proper break-in procedure for a warrior? I purchased mine with 2500 miles and I'm pretty sure the guy that had it before babied it. Do I want to ride it like I stole it when I break it in again? Or do a combination of taking it easy and riding it hard?

·
Registered
449 Posts
There is a lot of discussion on how to break a bike in, some say take it easy and some say ride it hard to seat the piston rings properly from the start.

My take is that the piston rings need to be broken in with some hard riding, but the rest of the engine needs to settle in carefully before getting to much load, so either way is sort of correct. But after the recall, when the entire engine is already broken in except for the new piston rings, I'm going to take the chance to try the "ride it like you stole it" method.

·
Registered
407 Posts
I agree with Mnz, as mine did a lot of dyno runs, which is one of the good ways to break in, I will treat it like before recall.
The good way seems to be to put a lot of load on the engine but not for long periods so it builds up too much heat.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
I'm still a big fan of the take it easy for 500 miles and then thrash the living daylights out of it.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
I like the just ride it approach to break in. Not too hard, not too easy... Like a first 'date', then turn it up as the miles build up.

·
Registered
826 Posts
I'm definately in the ride it like you stole it camp. I've abused many vehicles over the years, and knock on wood, I have never had a motor failure. In fact, the only motors I have ever seen blow were in vehicles that were babied or poorly maintained. This time around will be my 4th new motor break-in, and I plan to rev to the moon right from the start.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I broke mine it and never went over 3200RPM until after the firt 500 miles. After that, It was ON!!!!

·
Registered
6,406 Posts
There was already a thread like this. I came to the conclusion that after the recall the motor is already broke in >except< for the rings. It was pointed out that you should do some full throttle acceleration in higher gears (doesn't require a lot of rpms) to seat the new rings good and tight. This'll be my route...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts