RS Warrior Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like many of you, I have been seriously obsessing over buying another bike to give the warrior a bit of a "rest". My choices are finally narrowed to two. One being a 2007 fz1 with many of the attractive mods popular on the yamahafz1oa forum and it is for sale on that forum. The other is a 2007 Triumph Speed Triple found on Craig's list. It's only mod being a corbin seat. While I'm thinking the FZ1 would be more practical,versitle etc. I find that Triumph to be one sexy little ***. Both are priced very close.Kinda like thinking with two different heads.

What sayuns guys?

Finallyfound and pulled the trigger on a beautiful FZ-1 with Euro mod. Many of you are familar with the bike. It was JDPARK'S creation and it is stunning. Returned from Rocky Mount NC last night with bike, which is now safely in the garage. Can't wait for the snow to melt so I can see if I love the ride as much as the look. I'll post some pics, but you can see pics now in the Classifeds under FZ-1 SOLD post.

Thanks again JD for are your help.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Re: FZ1 or Speed Triple?

cosmo said:
I find that Triumph to be one sexy little ***.
I agree, the speed triple is one bad ass bike. I would get that over the fz1, but good luck with whatever you decide to get.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts

I'm gonna go for the FZ1....did you ever see JD Park's ride? I tried to look it up, but there's no link to his gallery. It's pretty sweet.

·
Registered
881 Posts

I used to sell both brands, cosmo, and my personal favorite is the S3. It has such attitude and that motor just makes the best sound with a proper exhaust, not to mention how easy it is to flick from corner to corner. I've **** near lost my license on one of those bad boys.

However (there's always a "however" in this kind of discussion!) the one thing that's always been of consequence for folks who were looking at the two opposing models is this: parts price and availability. A Triumph, no matter how cheap to buy, is still an exotic Euro import out here and parts are not always easy, or easily available, to acquire.

My vote is the Trumpet, but take heed of the woes of parts!

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

I have seen pics of JD's ride and you are right it is very, very, sweet. It's on the fz1 forum, but I'd imagine he's put much effort and $ in getting it there.

·
Registered
3,899 Posts

S3 has the balls but I'm not too crazy about the big dual headlights on it. I like the look of the euro-FZ1 and am very impressed by JDParks conversion. Perhaps he can tell us more about what it took to make that conversion....

·
Registered
261 Posts

I've been fortunate enough to ride both. I can tell you that both are awesome bikes. You will definitely need a power commander on the FZ1 to smooth out the power curve. To decide which one to get you have to decide which best suites you riding requirements.

Speed Triple:

Awesome around town. I'm a huge Yamaha fan, I currently have the Warrior and an R6 and I love both, but the Speed Triple was the most fun bike I've ever ridden. Incrediable amounts of low end grunt, they use them alot at wheel schools. They are extremely comfortable for the driver, I could ride all day and not feel uncomfortable. Horrible for the passenger. If you that the pegs are high on the Warrior, it is nothing compared to the Speed Triple. My wife was almost in fetile position.

FZ1:

Huge top end, hold on to your seat power there. Center stand drags pretty easy. Much better highway bike (better protection and accessories ), kind of like a small sport tour. Definitely more comfortable for the passenger.

·
Registered
433 Posts

The Speed Triple is the Sh*&#T. I have heard of some electrical probs but I would but one in a minute.My wife would kill me the next minute but thats ok. huh

·
Registered
1,340 Posts

I was in a similar situation a few months back when I sold my Warrior. I was looking at the Speed Triple and the KTM Superduke. I ended up buying a Buell 1125 since it fit my trackday needs a little better than the other 2 and it was cheaper but that is irrelevant. Given a choice between the FZ and the S3 I would probably go with the FZ. The S3 just didn't do anything for me and the FZ will probably be faster and more reliable and maybe cheaper. BTW, even though the KTM I rode was down on power compared to my 1125, if I could have gotten the right deal on the Superduke I would have bought it instead of the 1125R. The Superduke is a cool bike!

·
Registered
394 Posts

madav8tr said:
I was in a similar situation a few months back when I sold my Warrior. I was looking at the Speed Triple and the KTM Superduke. I ended up buying a Buell 1125 since it fit my trackday needs a little better than the other 2 and it was cheaper but that is irrelevant. Given a choice between the FZ and the S3 I would probably go with the FZ. The S3 just didn't do anything for me and the FZ will probably be faster and more reliable and maybe cheaper. BTW, even though the KTM I rode was down on power compared to my 1125, if I could have gotten the right deal on the Superduke I would have bought it instead of the 1125R. The Superduke is a cool bike!
I love the speed triple but if money was not an issue I would go Superduke or hypermotard as well. Our local yamaha dealer reps ktm too and I was there browsing around the other day and could not take my eyes off the Superduke, very sweet ride!

·
Registered
746 Posts

I have an 07 Fizzer. I love it. Especially the >8K RPM rush. I like the S3 but there are no dealers around here. And even if there were, would they be there tomorrow?

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

BlackStar said:
I have an 07 Fizzer. I love it. Especially the >8K RPM rush. I like the S3 but there are no dealers around here. And even if there were, would they be there tomorrow?
You make a good point regarding a dealer. The nearest Triumph dealer to me is in Frederick MD, about 100 miles away.

·
Registered
3,695 Posts

Based on looks along I would go with the FZ the speed triple is just plain ugly, those dual head light don't help at allimho Just myopinion so don't bash me to hard. You are making me wantan FZbad, wonder how much the insurance would cost. I really like the FZ1N that was posted.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts