RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone knowif it's liquid filled or not. I wanted to know how bad it bounces around.

·
Registered
746 Posts
My G&S gauge was dry.

Actually a liquid filled gauge is not the best in this application (mounted down near the engine). When the liquid gets hot, it expands, increasing the pressure inside the gauge. This causes an error in the bourdon tube sensing element. My liquid filled gauge reads near 0 PSI when it gets a good hot soak, engine hot, idling at around 1000 RPM. I know this reading is not correct. There are vented liquid filled gauges that are tolerant of hot soak, but they must be mounted with the vent up, otherwise the glycerin will leak out. If you are mounting the gauge up on the bars away from the engine heat, sealed liquid filled may be OK. The linemay be long enough to not transfer the oil/engine heat since there is no real flow there.There isn't that much bounce with a dry gauge, at least it is not as prone to error when hot. However, many dry gauges are not water resistant and may fog if you do not cover them when you wash your bike (mine did).

My 0.02.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I have the gauge kit from gs cycles on my bike. The gauge did not seem to jump around much or at all really, however the guuge took a dump in less than a year. Talked to someone at gs cycles who said to contact auto meter for warranty. they did replace the gauge and again it seems to work fine. Guess time will tell. If this helps anyone here the gauge you get with the gs cycles kit is. Auto meter part # 2177 0 - 100 presure gauge. Hope this helps Mike

·
Administrator
29,687 Posts
Since this mounts on the front down-tube and is a cooler, it escapes some of the heat problems. I understand they work very well. The gauge is dry and might bounce around a little but not as bad as engine-mounted units.

http://rswarrior.com/forums/t/29149.aspx

I have a silicone-filledoil guage engine-mounted lower right side. When cold it reads about 85# and when hot it reads something under 10#. I've never seen it read zero.

I've found this gauge to be very handy sometimes. Mostly it just looks cool as heck and I notice that people notice it. I bought mine from a forum member, but to this day I don't know if he still sells them. He put a kit together, plug-and-play, and the job went fast. I've never had any trouble with it.

Sometimes I wished I'd gone with this cooler and gauge. Especially when riding down south in summer. Up here in the cooler air its not needed, but again it looks cool as heck!

·
Administrator
29,687 Posts
Cool but it says itdoesn't come with oil lines. Does it come with the connection point like the other one at http://rswarrior.com/forums/t/29149.aspxwith the handy oil filter connection plate, or isthe $400 pricejust the billet cooler and the suspension bracket?

madmax66 said:
Holy crap, 600 bucks
does that seem high or is it just me..... this one looks to be liquid filled

·
Registered
904 Posts
There's actually 2 different kits being talked about here.

The inital one being discussed is The Oil pressure guage kit (GSC-0007 =$98.00). It mounts down by the rear push rod tube on the right side and uses a dry Auto-meter guage (for thereasons BlackStar has described).

The second kit, that cost $599.00, (GSC-0002) is an OilCooler kit. It mounts to the left side down tube and has aliquid filled temperature guage mounted to the top of it.It comes with Stainlees steel braided lines/ Russel AN Fittings/ and a Thermostatically Controlled Sandwich Adapter (which only starts allowing the oil to go through the cooler after the oil temps go inexcess of 180 degress) It's the only kit on the market that has this feature, which is why it costs more.

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
I have the GS oil pressure gauge kit on my warrior and it works great anf looks cool.The gauge is NOT liquid filled and does not jump around or vibrate. Very nice setup. Well worth the money. This is the kit that mounts to the rear push rod tube.

·
Registered
297 Posts
ahhhh . a good question for me to answer.

No they are not and yes I bought one last winter.

It wasnt a perfect instal. The bracket wasnt cut right and the hose was alittle too long, but I got it installed. about 2 months into the season it died. The needle wasnt connected.

I bought a small brass plug and sent it back. They cheerfully exchanged it. (not G&S but the gauge company)

if it fails this year Im going to remove it.

C-one said:
Does anyone knowif it's liquid filled or not. I wanted to know how bad it bounces around.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts