RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
any members out there that have not had the gas tank recall performed? what are the consequences of not doing so? is this something that can be done at home/not by dealer?

thanks

·
Registered
294 Posts
My dealer told me last week when I was inquiring on the tranny recall kit that the tranny kit wasn't in but my Gas tank recall kit was. This was news to me seeing I've had the bike 1 1/2 years and bought it new from them. Never recieved any notice or anything about a gas tank recall?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Take a close look at your VIN #. If the dealer followed the tank recall instructions, there should be a "punch" mark above the VIN #.

·
Registered
3,343 Posts
I think that if you don't get it done, there is a good chance of a leak around one of the welds. The recall is only for 02's I think. I'm planning on having the dealer take care of this when I get the recall done (hopefully this week).

·
Registered
22,677 Posts
Mine developed a leak at around 5000 or so miles. I got lucky and they replaced the tank for free. If you have an '02 and have not done the gas tank recall, get it done now rather than later. I'm pretty sure you could do it yourself (I think all it does is put some sort of washer under the tank mounting bolts), but why would you do that when it's free to have somebody else do it?

·
Registered
22,677 Posts
By the way, the problem is that they did not effectively isolate the gas tank from the engine vibrations through the frame and it can cause the weld seam to come apart.......it's not the sort of thing that happens fast, but you'll know when it happens. You'll start to smell & see a small gasoline drip near the back of the tank on top of the rear cylinder. When you park a warmed-up bike, you might see a small puddle underneath when you come back. It seems like the leak closes up when the bike cools down, but I'm sure it would've gotten progessively worse.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
I don't think mines been done, I think I'll wait for it to leak: I've given up smoking so hopefully I wont blow myself up!

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
We've actually had a couple of members have gasoline come gushing out of their tank unexpectedly due to this problem. Really, really bad. It's a 15 minute painless fix from the dealer.

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
If you look at the rubber washer under the tank where the bracket is mounted, you should see a white Spot on the rubber washer between the tank and the bracket. That will tell you that new thicker washer is on. Mine has been done but the stamp was never put on.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
If you haven't had the recall done..... get it done. It's free and will save you some time later on, embarassment by gaulking hardly's and could make or break an upcoming custom paintjob. JUST DO IT!!!

·
Registered
130 Posts
Is it realy a 4 gallon tank? I have run out of gas twice and it only took 2.96 gallons both times. Anybody got more than 3 gallons in the tank? Getting to old to push the Big Dog.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts