RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
First time poster here, asking for a brother. So he's got Yamaha Warrior XV1700 Midnight, and his gauge dashboard has a faulty diode, so gauges are not lighted. Instead of replacing the entire dashboard, he figured it would be more cost-efficient to replace just the diode that went out. But to do that he needs to know the specs of the diode he should be looking for, like voltage/amperage. Can you guys kindly share your advice on the subject? Pic for attention, that's my little bro.
Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
2012 Yamaha Roadliner S Midnight
975 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Australia. I’m sure someone here will be able to help you out😎😎🐝

·
Premium Member
1,716 Posts
Honestly, I'd look for a used cluster and scavenge one out of it (or just replace it). There are quite a few bike's being parted out right now. Should be able too find one cheap.

·
Registered
Yamaha XV1700 Roadstar Warrior
740 Posts
Honestly, I'd look for a used cluster and scavenge one out of it (or just replace it). There are quite a few bike's being parted out right now. Should be able too find one cheap.
one thing to add to that though.. only the midnights have red backlighting.. all the others have blue backlighting

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not where he's at (Russia). But that's a great suggestion, thanks! We might end up with me getting a cluster on ebay here in the US, getting the diode from there and sending it over to him in a bubbled envelope.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So this guy disassembled the gauge and took out the circuit board... The diodes he's looking for are inserted into the two cut-out half-round slots in the upper corners of it.

·
Administrator
29,701 Posts
Hey guys,
First time poster here, asking for a brother. So he's got Yamaha Warrior XV1700 Midnight, and his gauge dashboard has a faulty diode, so gauges are not lighted. Instead of replacing the entire dashboard, he figured it would be more cost-efficient to replace just the diode that went out. But to do that he needs to know the specs of the diode he should be looking for, like voltage/amperage. Can you guys kindly share your advice on the subject? Pic for attention, that's my little bro.
Thanks!
I think my first questions are how did he test to verify its a diode residing inside the tach, and how did he test to rule-out any other cause?

So my overall questions are what are all of the symptoms he is observing (other lights not illuminating as expected, or error codes shown on gauges, or check engine light, or other error symptoms)?

Its strange for the gauge's internal electronics to fail. Its somewhat common for external troubles with fuses or sensors or corroded wire-couplings to cause a gauge light to not illuminate.

So what we really need from your brother/friend in Russia is a good idea of everything that is not working, and everything that is unexpectedly happening like error codes in the gauge and check engine light activity. Plus if he recently did some work on the bike then let us know because weird unexpected things happen.

Without a good idea of conditions your friend/brother could go to a lot of trouble and not solve it, and even make things worse.

·
Administrator
29,701 Posts
So this guy disassembled the gauge and took out the circuit board... The diodes he's looking for are inserted into the two cut-out half-round slots in the upper corners of it.

View attachment 250924
I was delayed between starting my reply post and finishing it so I did not see this post in time.

Is this your friend's disassembled board? Or just a stock picture of a replacement board?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I was delayed between starting my reply post and finishing it so I did not see this post in time.

Is this your friend's disassembled board? Or just a stock picture of a replacement board?
That's his.
Update: It's not midnight that he has, but he tried to replace blue diode with red one, after that it stopped working. And he's pretty sure he burned the diode. I asked him for more details and timeline. Thanks a lot for help!

·
Administrator
29,701 Posts
I'm wondering if the confusion here is with the names of parts. As you might know, a diode is an electrical part that allows electricity to travel only in one direction. It doesn't care much about color. The color is detetmined by the bulb or led, etc. For example there are red led's and there are blue led's and there are other colors of course.

So I'm wondering if your friend is needing to replace a diode or something else, and I'm still wondering if something else is causing the trouble originally posted!

·
Registered
Yamaha XV1700 Roadstar Warrior
740 Posts
I'm wondering if the confusion here is with the names of parts. As you might know, a diode is an electrical part that allows electricity to travel only in one direction. It doesn't care much about color. The color is detetmined by the bulb or led, etc. For example there are red led's and there are blue led's and there are other colors of course.

So I'm wondering if your friend is needing to replace a diode or something else, and I'm still wondering if something else is causing the trouble originally posted!
LED = Light Emitting Diode

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah it's a LED, sorry for confusion.
The timeline of events:
- He got the bike and rode it for a season,
- Decided to change blue LEDs to red ones
- He disassembled the dashboard, and soldered out the blue ones
- Soldered in the red ones, they didn't work
- Then took out the red ones and soldered in blue ones again
- 2 edge blue ones don't work anymore
Now he's looking for LED specs to replace them.

·
Premium Member
1,716 Posts
Looks like a board swap would take care of everything and the guy parting his bike out has the perfect part with red LED's. Win-Win!!

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Silly question, but are the LED's the right way around. They have a polarity.
Normally there is a flat edge on one side, that marks the Cathode or negative side. If not you will need a multi-meter to confirm
Also a LED does not burn out in a predefined or build board. There are resistors in place to prevent too high current.
You can overheat a LED and damage it with a to hot soldering iron, but what I expect is that the circuit board is damaged or the LED is wrong way around.
Both easily done...

Dutch 😎

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Please show a screen shot or photo of the modified board and I might be able to see the issue, make it hi-res so we can= zoom in

·
Premium Member
1,287 Posts
Oh I miss Russia. Always going about things in a different way :) Is he in Moscow? If so take the board to Radio Rynok someone there will know, they got folks there that helped design electronics in satellites the knowledge available there is crazy

1 - 20 of 20 Posts