RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Technical question: I recently sold a Coba slip on pipe that I had for my '03 Warrior (was a gift, but never really cared for the appearance). I slipped it on from time to time as a replacement to the stock can just to experience the increased sound. As stated, I didn't care for the apperance, but if I had chosen to have left it on it would create a backfire (not too excessive, but a backfire none the less) that the stock pipe does not. I wasn't running a power commander or any "bumps" to the ECU, just the stock setup.

Now, I think I understand the reason for the Power Commander, in that it modifies the fuel, air, and spark settings for a given hardware configuration. If the Warrior itself being fuel injected can accommodate for many factors as determined by the numerous sensors, then why the need for the Power Commander? And, why did my bike backfire with the Cobra slip-on?

What am I missing here?

·
Registered
11,588 Posts
We have a Very basic FI system.. No where near what it could be.. Every area is different in air quality,atmospheric presure and elevation etc.. The PC3 helps make the bikes fi work with these different conditions

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Because the warrior, unlike a car, runs off a predetermined map that tells when to put in fuel based on rpm and % of throttle being applied. It does not have a manifold air pressure sensor or a mass air flow sensor to tell the ecu exactly how much are is coming in. The power commander basically just fine tunes the fuel map that is being applied. Basically the ecu still thinks it is running a factory bike but the PC3 piggy-backs off of it and alters the fuel table. The PC3 cares nothing about air quality,atmospheric presure and elevation, all it does is add more or less fuel than stock...Although with it, you can tune your fuel table for your elevation.

·
Registered
746 Posts
It also does not have an O2 sensor to monitor the mixture and adjust for the proper AF ratio (Feedback).

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
true but even most cars only use the o2 sensor at idle or below something like 3000 because they generally use a narrowband which only goes from 0-1 volt and is terribly inaccurate for any kind of performance measure.

·
Registered
746 Posts
ehacker01 my bad on the O2. It would only compensate at steady state. However there are two intake air pressure sensors that are on the manifold side of the throttle plates (MAP) that along with TPS, IAT (inlet air temp) and IAP (Inlet air pressure) are used to calculate air volume and compensate for altitude and temperature. Not as good as MAF, but good enough.
Anyways they all pop a little. Iv'e just about got myself trained to where I can get it to pop when I want. Right between steady state and decell.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
quote:Originally posted by BlackStar

ehacker01 my bad on the O2. It would only compensate at steady state. However there are two intake air pressure sensors that are on the manifold side of the throttle plates (MAP) that along with TPS, IAT (inlet air temp) and IAP (Inlet air pressure) are used to calculate air volume and compensate for altitude and temperature. Not as good as MAF, but good enough.
Anyways they all pop a little. Iv'e just about got myself trained to where I can get it to pop when I want. Right between steady state and decell.

I forgot. it does have the IAP sensors. but true, definately not as good as a MAF

·
Registered
746 Posts
Who are you asking. I'm about 2.5 Hrs away, near Fort Wayne, In.

·
Registered
5,332 Posts
quote:Originally posted by ohiomike

How close are you to dayton?

I'm a long way away. I live in Dallas....[/emoticons/emotion-5.gif] Sorry, I couldn't help myself.

·
Registered
4,835 Posts
The bike still backfires with the stock can on, it's just so muffled that you can barely hear it. Sounds more like a puff puff. The only way to get rid of the backfire, is with a properly tuned pcIII, custom map. Mine still backfires on occasion, when cold. But for the most part, no backfire.

·
Premium Member
16,372 Posts
Lets not forget about eliminating the AIS. This will help with a portion of the back firing...Dice is right on with his advice with custom mapping and pciii. Any good tuner will want the AIS blocked prior to a custom map being made.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts