RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was doing some thinking today. When the mechanic does the recall work won't he have to drain the oil from the engine? If this is correct this would be a great time to change your oil, especially since most of us are considering the 108 or 10.5:1 pistons..... if he drains the old fluid out just provide him with the new oil to pour back in instead of him reusing the old oil. I haven't spoken to my dealership about it but I think that would be something done easy to prolong the life of your warrior and give your new guts some pepto for all the new HP it will be producing!

Just a thought.....

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
An oil filter is already part of the parts kit. If a dealer thinks about putting the old oil back in, he needs to be shot.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Hi Novice Warrior.

I can't decide if you posted this "tongue-in-cheek" or not!

Yeah, when you get the Recall Rebuild, it sure will be a GOOD TIME to change your oil. The dealer will even provide you with fresh oil . . . FREE . . . I beeetchyyaaaaa.

For those who don't realize it, when your local dealer's mechanics do the Recall Rebuild, they take your entire engine out of the bike and put it on the shop bench. Then they unbolt all of the parts: pistons here, rods there, cam here, heads over there, etc., etc. I mean, MAN, it's a great time to air out all those oily parts and get a fresh smell into your engine!

Too bad when it goes back together, no one is going to be double-checking the mechanic to make sure he/she put all the parts in correctly and that everything is torqued to specifications. I hope the assembly area is clean when they put the engine together. Hopefully, no dust will go into the engine from some errant test rider going by the garage door or something. Nah, couldn't happen. I'm sure these Recall Rebuilds will all be as good as Factory New.

Yeah, right.

·
Registered
5,818 Posts
quote:Originally posted by vector18

I have synthetic oil and I will tell my dealer to reinstall new synthetic when he does the work.

Vector, you shouldn't put synthetic oil in during the break in period. Use the regular oil for the first oil change or two then put the synthetic back in.

·
Registered
576 Posts
I have held my tounge for too long on this subject. I own a warrior. I ALSO WORK AS A SERVICE TECH AT A YAMAHA DEALER!! I can't tell you how bad it infuriates me that everyone has such a bad taste in their mouths for techs. Hey, you know what fellas, its a thanksless job that I love. I tell you something else, If you think for one second that you can do a better job than me, then step up to the plate friends. I hate the fact the "most" ordinary people think the tech are idiots and think they're all out to rip off the public. I for one hate it when I hear of another tech ripping someone off.

For those of you who dont like the recall, or are upset about giving thier bike up for repair......sell it....trade it in on a POS kawasaki.....****, go buy a harley and feel the burn on that end of the scale.

point is, if you dont like/trust other people to do your work for you, then take the next 11 years of your life to catch up to my abilities and knowlage and ask yamaha to just get you the parts so you can do your own recall, and your own upgrades. Then, and only then will you understand a wrenches life.

thanks for letting me vent(had to get it off my chest)

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well alrighty. I for one am sooooooooo happy with the dealership I bring my bike too. They have treated me like the bike I have is theirs... stopped working on bikes to check out mine if I am having a problem.... I am by NO MEANS calling any service techs idiots. I have seen guys work on engines before and when they are done they put the old oil back in. Spear you may be right, they May put totally new oil back in, I haven't asked them whether they do or not.... but I felt as if there was anyone who didn't think of it... they should. If you feel as if your dealership will provide all the new oil and oil filter for free thats great I imagine when I ask the service manager if they will be putting all new oil back into my bike I am sure he will say yes.... but for those of you who have to deal with hardass service managers... or even some of those candy ass service techs that ARE out there.... you'll want to double check and verify your getting the most out of your recall BS.

Lenny I respect what you do and you probably do your job excellent but you can't vouch for every dealer, and every service tech out there. Recognize that all of us want the job to be done right, I am sure that you work on your stuff right? Is it because you can or because you know that you will do it right? Thanks for your service..quote:Originally posted by Lenny

I have held my tounge for too long on this subject. I own a warrior. I ALSO WORK AS A SERVICE TECH AT A YAMAHA DEALER!! I can't tell you how bad it infuriates me that everyone has such a bad taste in their mouths for techs. Hey, you know what fellas, its a thanksless job that I love. I tell you something else, If you think for one second that you can do a better job than me, then step up to the plate friends. I hate the fact the "most" ordinary people think the tech are idiots and think they're all out to rip off the public. I for one hate it when I hear of another tech ripping someone off.

For those of you who dont like the recall, or are upset about giving thier bike up for repair......sell it....trade it in on a POS kawasaki.....****, go buy a harley and feel the burn on that end of the scale.

point is, if you dont like/trust other people to do your work for you, then take the next 11 years of your life to catch up to my abilities and knowlage and ask yamaha to just get you the parts so you can do your own recall, and your own upgrades. Then, and only then will you understand a wrenches life.

thanks for letting me vent(had to get it off my chest)

·
Registered
470 Posts
Way to go Lenny !!! I guess some people have gotten burnt, by "Techs" in the past. Customer trust once lost, is very tough to regain. I know Lenny from the local bike nites, A very meticulous person. I'll have no problem turning him loose on my bike. Back to main subject here I'm sure fresh oil is in the deal.

·
Registered
5,891 Posts
nicely put lenny, I hope my "tech" loves his job as much as you love yours. I would be happy to let you do my recall work

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Good post Lenny, I feel there are more techs that feel as you do. My tech is honest, knowledgable and he will take good care of my bike when the parts get in.

·
Registered
449 Posts
I'd agree that any mechanic wanting to collect the old oil and pouring it back into the engine after the work, would need to be atleast shouted at.

On the other hand, after the recall is finished the engine will need to be broken in all over again, so there is another oil change coming up after 500 miles. That isn't covered by the recall, is it? So all in all you effectively get one oil change for free, and then you have to pay for another oil change just a few weeks later. It all sums up nicely, doesn't it?

·
Registered
5,891 Posts
If the job is done correctly, I dont mind changing the oil again, Ill have to do it 2/3 times this rideing season anyways

·
Registered
272 Posts
Lenny,
I Understand how you can feel attacked in regards to the faith alot may have of they're local dealer's service depts.

But,what you might consider is that no 1 here is personally attacking you as an individual,far from it infact.I'm no mechanic and I'll never claim to be 1,but as most would agree,it can take some folks more than 1 visit to a dealer ,to become comfortable with and trust they're mechanics,be it Auto or motorcycle.Some may take a couple of years,especially since you may never need to bring your vehicle in for repairs,for as much as a couple of years atleast,we hope neway.

It simply is very dificult to put all your trust into a service department unless you deal with them regularly or are friends with some at that shop,thats a reality across the board for any vehicle,and most people at 1 point or another have had a bad eperience with a service dept. at least once in they're life time.
For most of us,this bike is for recreation,hobby,and even an infactuation rather then a mode of transportation,which makes it all the more concerning when your pride and joy is going in to have it gut's ripped out and replaced by someone who ,if your lucky has seen your bike once and that was for a 600 mile chk-up.
I'll probably be taking mine to the same dealer DarkStar or Grumpy brings they're bike to since they are both close to me,but thats fortunete for me,other's may not know someone who's taken his or her bike to a particular shop and be able to give you some recomendations.

Fact is,one should'nt knock a shop or it's employee's down if they've never had an issue with them.

Wish you were out my way Lenny,to have some 1 from right here @ the site as your mechanice for the recall is 1 **** of a bonus,I'd be more than comfortable to bring mine in for you to do the recall fix.

·
Registered
4,835 Posts
the dealer will put all NEW fluids in the warrior after the recall. And I'm going to change it again after the first 50 miles. I'm going to break it in hard and fast to get those new rings to seat in nice and tight. A new oil change only costs about $35 soo stop whining. And yes the guys and gals at the dealership do treat me as job 1, they do come out and check my bike out and are very supportive. They are having their best wrench do all the tranny recals and have hired extra help to do the easy and gopher jobs.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Lenny I've got your back... don't know if you've seen any other of my post regarding this recall lately, but the same whiners continue to cry in their f'n wheaties. Wonder what else they moan and biatch about.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Lenny, Brother, Some guys are just goof'in and others have had bad experiences. Nothing in this world is 100%, everyone has a choice as to where to take their bike for the recall. It is really up to them to make sure their bike is taken care of via this choice.
You trade is respected and we are glad to have you on this site.[/emoticons/emotion-1.gif]

·
Registered
407 Posts
Feel very fortunate that it seems like the techs working on my bike are almost as enthusiastic as I am to see the kind of numbers it will give on the dyno after the HC pistons are in. This in connection with the recall. I think mine is the first they do.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Lenny, I understand you are venting, but I am not being critical of you. I don't know you. I apologize if I've offended you, that was not my intent. That being said, I would rather have a factory fresh engine rather than a rebuilt one, even if THE BEST TECH in the world was doing the rebuilding.

Thanks for taking your profession seriously; too many don't.

·
Registered
639 Posts
quote:Originally posted by ajwarrior

. . . but the same whiners continue to cry in their f'n wheaties. Wonder what else they moan and biatch about.
Gee whiz, aj, I hope you're not talkin' `bout lil' ol' me. [/emoticons/emotion-5.gif]

What you view as "whining", I view as voicing legitimate concerns. I fully support people like you making decisions that affect YOUR life. But, I don't accept people like you deciding my course of action.

I choose to voice my opinion. Some people read it. I may influence a few to take "pen in hand" and write Yamaha or make a phone call to them. Ultimately, maybe Yamaha will understand that SOME of their customers believe they are being treated UNfairly.

If you believe you are being treated Fairly, good for you. But don't deride me for speaking my mind. "whiners?" No, just responsible owners stating their cases. As I've said in other threads, it's called freedom of speech. [8D]

1 - 20 of 34 Posts