RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The owner's manual on my '06 Warrior specifies GL-4 gear oil for the transmission, or as they call it, "transfer case".

Now, I know from bad experience (thankfully not mine) that using GL-5 gear oil in applications that specify GL-4 may have some very nasty consequences. Generally speaking, anything brass or bronze gets eaten by most GL-5 gear oils.

My dealer says that the GL-5 is better, so I should just use that. He says that the owner's manual actually means "GL-4 or later".

Yamaha Motor Company has no technical service line, unless you are a dealer.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
Dang near impossible to find GL-4 these days. And yes there can be trouble with "yellow metal" and GL-5. I have not heard of any trouble with the RoadStar and GL-5. Maybe there isn't any bronze in there??

The stuff I used is a GL-5 and says "GL-4 Compatable".

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, who knows? I was just reading on the Mobil website that their 75W-90 synthetic gear oil (GL-5 rated) says..... "Excellent rust, staining and corrosion protection of copper and its alloys"

That's good.

I'm well aware of the "yellow metal" corrosion problems. It appears that the GL-5 gear oils (maybe not all of them) have highly sulfurized additives that corrode brass/bronze/whatever. Honda motorcycle shaft drives come to mind here...... and automotive transmission synchronizers.

During my search of this site, I found a post where a Yamaha mechanic said that what Yamaha really meant is that they want you to use the Yamaha shaft drive gear lube, and not the transmission gear lube. My local dealer has the opposite opinion. BTW, this is the same dealer that likes to fill the transmissions to the top of the filler hole.... then can't figure out why they start leaking.

I see some of the gear lube on the shelf is labeled GL-4/GL-5 so maybe they've solved this little problem.

·
Registered
671 Posts
I have been using BG syncro shift II sae 75w-80 api gl-4 synthetic gear lubricant in mine.I love the way it shifts with it,mutch smoother.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK, just got off the phone with a tech guy at Mobil.

Q: I have an application that calls for a GL-4 gear lube. I would like to use your 75W-90 fully synthetic gear lube.

A: No, this is a GL-5 rated gear lube and should not be used for your application. You need the GL-4 rated gear lube.

Interesting.

So the real question (in my mind) becomes - Does Yamaha REALLY mean GL-4?

·
Registered
679 Posts
The service manual calls for SAE80API GL4 hypoid gear oil.I'm no expert on oil but the Amsoil people are.I use 80W90 synthetic in the link below.It's GL5 but if you read down farther it says may be used in rear ends calling for GL4.I've had it in my Warrior for 1800 miles & it works just fine.I doubt you'll find any brass in the transfer case.The bronze maybe but I'm not gonna worry about it.The oil that's in it now is much better than the oil that drained out of it.Lots of fine metal particles were in it.

https://www.amsoil.com/storefront/agl.aspx

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
I've used both Mobil 1 and Amsoil GL-5 synthetics in my old Roadstar and now my Warrior with no problems. I think the bottle says something about being backwardly compatible with GL-4. Anyway just use it.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah, been searching a lot of other forums and the one that comes up consistently is the Mobil 1 75W-90 and the Amsoil. A lot of the Honda owners are using these two for the shaft drive bikes where they call for GL-4 and no one seems to have a problem with it.

I'm just guessing that if there was any sort of problem, that there would be a few posts out there.

I'm going with the Mobil 1 75W-90. I run this in my Harley transmissions so at least I can use the same stuff.

How often are we supposed to change the transmission juice? My owner's manual says every 16,000 miles or 24 months. Is that what everyone is doing?

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Im running lucas hp heavy duty 80 90 plus gear oil exceeds all gl classifications no probloms yettttt! I will call lucas tomarrow to make sure. I've had good results with all theyre other products.

·
Registered
4,619 Posts
quote:Originally posted by kballowe

Yeah, been searching a lot of other forums and the one that comes up consistently is the Mobil 1 75W-90 and the Amsoil. A lot of the Honda owners are using these two for the shaft drive bikes where they call for GL-4 and no one seems to have a problem with it.

I'm just guessing that if there was any sort of problem, that there would be a few posts out there.

I'm going with the Mobil 1 75W-90. I run this in my Harley transmissions so at least I can use the same stuff.

How often are we supposed to change the transmission juice? My owner's manual says every 16,000 miles or 24 months. Is that what everyone is doing?

the first thing you have to understand, it is not "transmission fluid" for that matter, its not even the transmission, the transmission is integrated into the engine case on the warrior, the transmission uses the warriors engine oil for lubrication, this also includes a "wet clutch"

the xfer case is exactly that, its taking the power which comes out of the right side of the engine, and xfers it back to the left side of the bike. its really not all that much, the drive pully off the engine, a chain connecting that pully the the middle shaft/pully, that shaft trasfers over to the left of the bike....

i personally dont even know why they did it that way.... patrick racing completely did away with the xfer case and turned their race bikes to right hand drive....

to me, all it adds is weight and un-needed friction in the drive line

and weight to the bike....

and ehacker also removed the xfer case on his bike as well

see link
http://www.rswarrior.com/Gallery/ehacker01.aspx

the only reason i can come up with as to why they added a xfer case is, left side drive, the more traditional look (almost like there is a seperate tranny), and that is a long, chain/belt delivering the power

that being said, i personally used the mobil 1 75w-90 full synthetic

·
Registered
4,619 Posts
quote:Originally posted by cr0ssfire

I have been using BG syncro shift II sae 75w-80 api gl-4 synthetic gear lubricant in mine.I love the way it shifts with it,mutch smoother.

another funny observation, since this fluid has nothing to do with the shifting....

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
quote:
Mobil 1 Synthetic Gear Lubricant LS 75W-90 can also be used in rear axles where API Service GL-4 lubricant is recommended

the xfer case is very similar to a rear axle in theory.... now as to the material content? especially the bearings?

Yep. I would have just listened to my local dealer, but (more and more) I'm coming to the conclusion that they can't find it with both hands. The next dealer down the line is just as bad. Very happy to have found this forum. There's a lot of good discussion.

·
Registered
191 Posts
GL4 is hard to find. I use the 80/90 GL4/GL5 Yamalube shaft oil. Since I use it in my ATV's might aswell but it in my bike. But from what I hear in in there I think any oild would be OK

1 - 20 of 24 Posts