RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok fellas and ladys, I have just newly discovered this wonderful place of knowledge while trying to drown my sorrows of not having a warrior and thought i would run this question by for some answers. I have never riden a street bike before and have though several times of buying one. When I was in highschool I drooled over an R1 and after that the warrior came out and have been looking at it since! Now that I can afford to take this leap I was wondering if I could get some advice about being a newby to the street bike world. I am 6ft1 and 200lbs pretty well balanced and was wondering if I could swing a warrior as my first bike without becoming someones hood ornament. The power im not afraid of abusing until ready. What I am afraid of is balance issues and being able to ride. Is the warrior going to be balanced enough for me? Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
3,269 Posts
What is an issue is your ability to ride, if you've never ridden before and are still planning to get this ride, get a Piece of S$#t motorcycle and practice, practice practice, take a beginners course with your local motorcycle safety foundation. The thought behind the P O S, is if you drop who cares, thats what its for, if you drop the warrior trying to learn, that 6ft1 200lbs, is going to shrivel into a small pile of woes after that you will regret not spending an extra 800 for the p o s and for not taking the MSF rider course. Very good choice
in the Warrior.
Good luck, and welcome,
JB

·
Registered
6,312 Posts
As far as learning and ease of ride the Warrior isn't a bad way to go. It's easy to ride and well balanced. Bigbear makes a good point about dropping it though. Just letting it fall over while standing still will most likely cost you $550 for a new tank. If you have some good experience on dirt and don't have any basic balance problems and don't mind taking it easy then go for the Warrior and spend some time in the Home Depot parking lot.

As for hood ornaments go I would much rather have the power to get myself out of trouble. Misused it gets you into trouble but properly managed it can be an asset. With a minibike you have no option other than smile real big as it's about to take you out.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys. I have ridden a few dirt bikes and have never really had balance issues on them while riding two on both wheels. Just when the front one took off once, then i had balance issues! But like James D said, If i have good balance it shouldnt be an issue and I am readily prepared to spend time putting around a parking lot or my local residential streets with my little blue helmet and ten foot orange flag on back, by the way we dont have a home depot, will a abandoned wal-mart parking lot do or is it a trademark thing?j/k

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
I really dont think its a great beginer bike. Its got a ton of power, especially on the low end. Throttle control will be a big issue. Can someone learn on one, sure but its not the optimal choice.

I still maintain that its a bad idea to learn how to ride on the street on a newer bike. Most people will drop it at least once at slow speeds. Like has been said here, get a beater bike cheap and practice for a little while. You will be able to get almost all your money back in resale, and save yourself more money in cosmetic repairs to your warrior

·
Registered
339 Posts
It all depends on your amount of experience on dirt bikes. If you have spent alot of time in the dirt you shouldn't have any problems. But if your experience is riding your brohter-in-laws 125 around the back yard once a year you had better go for the P O S. A new warrior is not the bike to learn on usless you are willing to the pay the price in dents and dings. That money can be better spent in mods.[8D]

·
Registered
7,696 Posts
Hi there Oklafordtech & welcome to the site. Some years ago a friend of mine took my CBR1100 out of my garage without my knowledge (he was 'House Sitting' at the time but that's another story). He had a little track experience but only on a 175cc bike. Anyway, he took my CBR for a little ride and when pulling out of a car park after filling up, he opened the throttle up too much, dropped the clutch by mistake and of course the bike just shot accross the road with him hanging on for grim death. The bike piled into the passenger door of a car parked accross the street, my friend took flying lessons and the passenger of the car (a 7 year old girl who was sitting with her Dad eating a McDonalds) took a trip to surgery to get the glass taken out of the side of her face.

The moral of this story is that my friend did not anticipate and could not handle the sheer power that the bike had when he whacked open the throttle, obvioulsy he was only used to riding on a dirt track on a 175cc bike. Sure the Warrior does not have the same power as my old CBR but it is still a very powerful machine. So riding a new bike is not just an issue of 'Balance'.

For what it's worth, If I were you I would take the training course, it's worth every penny and could save your life (or infact others). If you've waited so long up to now then a few more weeks shouldn't make too much difference. If there isn't a Riders Course close to where you live then get lots and lots of practice with a friend who has experience before you take to the populated streets. Whatever your decision, good luck & ride safe.

·
Registered
5,332 Posts
Too expensive, get a cheap bike first. Then come back to us in a little while. You'll thank us later, I promise.....

·
Registered
3,821 Posts
Blimey, ONAGER that's an Indigo too. They are well known for being the best handling warrior but I guess even they have limits. Very glad you're still around. I have a stock filter housing and exhaust for a reasonable price if you need it

Oklafordtech-- If you're comfortable on dirt bikes sliding and jumping to some degree, then the Warrior may be OK as a first bike. It has a lot of low end torque so if you overbalance at or close to a stop it can get away from you. Likewise, you have to be very careful in the rain or near gravel.Whatever you buy, take an MSF course or two. Have fun and ride safe....

·
Registered
10,536 Posts
Very Godd First Bike![/emoticons/emotion-3.gif)]

Just ride within your limitations.[/emoticons/emotion-5.gif]

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I just want to thank all of you for your replys. Really awesome comunity. Sorry about the type-o but tequilla was involved...get off me!lol! Still leaning towards the warrior as my first bike though. Have already talked to the dealer about a msf riders safety course. Only down side is that my dealer offers the course(same material and all)without certification. He has passed the course and told me that he teaches it verbatum. He also offered to ride with me for a few hours after the course. Did i mention he is doing this for free if I buy the bike from him?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Hey Oklafordtech,

I was in your shoes at the beginning of the summer. I was a newbie rider and wanted a bike. A friend of mine had a beater yami FZR600 which he let me borrow to practice. I used it for about 4 weeks. I would say that it taught me a few things but not much. I purchased a 2005 Midnight warrior as my first bike about a month later and it was a totally different beast. The 2 bikes were (Mid)night and day. If you are comfortable riding then go with the purchase of the warrior but DEFINETELY GO PRACTICE AND DON'T BE STUPID ON IT! This bike has a whole crap-load of torque and it's easy to lose your grip and fly off the back end. Also, I agree with the throttle control issue. Be prepared to get cramps in your right hand and be shaky for about a month (or 2000 miles, whichever comes first) before being able to control the bike and the throttle.

I did a lot of practicing, including low speed peg dragging - BECAUSE YOU WILL DRAG PEGS - it's actually fun once you get over the fear. /emoticons/emotion-1.gif

I've had a few close calls which brought me back to earth. Keep your head, buy your bike, take the MSF course (I did), practice, don't be stupid on the bike and you should be ok.

Let me know if you need more info - I'll let you know my experience as best as I can.

Hi All - this is my first post. Great forum, great people and a great community. Nice to be here. Thanks for reading.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts