RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well i have to drive 4 hours to austin texasto get a warrior that is in my price range. It is a 2004 with 10,000 miles for 7000. it sounds like good deal to me what do yall think. it has bub pipes, power commander, and a few chrome exc. i don't know if anything else. i was wondering whereto get a owners manual? what to do to get max performance? where to check oil? it is at a dealership so i want to walk in and know what to check out. any help will be great.

·
Registered
42 Posts
What part of texas are you from? I just bought a 2002 warrior north of dallas for a little less than 5000 with 8300 miles. Make sure the recalls are done. My warrior didn't have any recalls done so I am taking mine to the dealership tomorrow to getall the recalls done. Also getting the v star 5th gear mod and high compresion pistons installed with free labor. If you have the vin number you can call any yamaha dealerships service depart and ask them ifthe recallshave been done. Check the oil under the seat.

·
Registered
4,938 Posts
A good place to start would be to ask about the recalls. There have been a few that you may want to ask about. Lets see if someone can pull up the safety recall website info here for you.

1 tip, before bringing up the whole recall thing, you may want to locate the bike vin# tag ...duh, let me remember, front right side of the frame neck. It should havea stamp (like a punch mark) on the plate for each of the required recalls for that year. You may choose to be direct with the salesmen and point blank ask him about the recalls. If he plays dumb...that would be a red flag to stop and ask questions. if he knows his stuff about the Warrior, he'll be right up front and tell you, or he'll ask the service dept. to pull up the recalls and check to be sure the bike is solid and up to date.

Start using the search feature on the site here and you will get tons of hits about the recall. Fact there may be a "sticky thread" ?? called total recall which may have lots of that info.

Depending on what you find, you may consider having all the recalls done (assuming they have not been done) before taking delivery of the bike. I'll loo for some of the recall info and post it here for you while you are searching the site here.

Other than that, the warrior is a solid bike. Great performer!! great handling and a ton of get up and go!. Get as much history as possible on your bike.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Congrats on the new bike. Not too bad on the price, I don't know the bike scene/prices in that area. Also click on the download tab up top to check out the owners manual, they don't have the 2004 , but they have every other year up there, look at the 2005's it would be the closest. But really all the year are about the same. No MAJOR changes since begining.

·
Registered
4,938 Posts
Here's the recalls website;

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/recalls/recallsearch.cfm

enter the make, model, year. be sure to look at the "road star warrior" as well as the xv1700 and it will list the recalls that apply to that year.

Once you get to the recalls, you can do the 'document search" for the specific recall. it will pop up a seperate window with the .pdf documents , look for the "remedy" documents which contains the detail of the recall work to be done. It will show the location of the vin plate and the punch location I was refering to.

BTW, YAMAHA IMO has done a great job keeping this bike safe and dependable!....personally I would not let the recall history of the bike sway my decision whether to by it or not. Just my opinion.! the bike is SWEET!

·
Registered
282 Posts
Welcome chadw015, I've alsohave an '04 model. You need to be aware ofa problem with belt pulley on the middle driven shaft that you'll want to get checked out. Pictures of my pulley are in my gallery.BTW, it's still a great machine even w/this problem!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts