RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
10,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bid on this on ebay. It looks like it should fit our gas caps. Hopefully, I could get our speedo and the road in the video at the same time and possibly help out with the vibration by using this. What do you guys think?

Insert Image:

32.13 KB

·
Registered
5,891 Posts
That looks like a slick setup, just hope the threads in the gas cap are able to hold the stress of a camera bouncing around.

If there not Im sure youll let us know...

·
Premium Member
524 Posts
quote:Originally posted by vector18

hmmmmmmmm, any suggestions?

What about fabricating your own mount (or modifying that one) that used all of the screws of the gas cap, to disperse the weight over multiple screws as opposed to just two?

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
Yeah, you have to build some sort of mount which surrounds your entire camera. Like a frame with a rubber gasket of some sort.
I just got in...It got brisk!! I took the liner outta my jacket & had the shorty on.. Fun nonetheless!!!

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
Vec, your camera is a hellofalot lighter than that sucker. Your problem is with the mount points of the camera itself. That's why I suggested the "frame" system. Ya know what I'm tryin' to say???

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
I made a similar mount for the Warrior with an old camerea tripod swivel and some aluminum stock. Used some longer allenhead bolts from Ace hardware to mount it.

It hasn't worked out all that well. Too much vibration coming from the tank. It mounts the camera high enough to see over the bars.

Let me know how your mount works and I may have to re-design my mount to work with less vibration.

I'm not sure if that mount on eBay will work out for the Warrior. It mounts the camera forward of the gas cap. It may interfere with the handlebar. Look at my pics to get an idea, not sure what handlebar you have. I also believe the screw spacing on the R1 is slightly different than the Warriors. You may have to redrill some of the holes slightly to line up.

I've got the huge 7 hour battery on the camera. Smaller one lighten things up.

·
Super Moderator
13,703 Posts
I bought one for the R1 and it fits fine, looks a lot like the one you bid on. I've had it for two years. Unfortunately being rigidly mounted to our shaking and rumbling gas tanks does not help the vibration issue. In fact, I can't even make a useable video with mine. You might have better luck with a camera that writes to a flash card than mine which writes to a mini cd and can't handle much shaking at all.

·
Registered
6,800 Posts
Well we all know how much our bloody tanks vibrate, it seems to me you might have more vibration with that mount.

Like the other guys said though, the camera you have is much smaller and not as nose heavy as the 'video' cameras, if it is cheap? then it is worth a try.

·
Registered
718 Posts
I had one on my R1 as well. Did wheelies, 120mph, corners all that crap with it. Video turned out amazing. My digital camera writes to a card though. I can send you the video so you can check it out if you want.

·
Registered
10,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, it ends up I won the auction for 26 bucks. My digital camera is very light so that might help. I would think our tank has less vibration than our handle bars though? You guys sure it will be worse? I have the Yami double T's so I might be able to stick the camera right through them? The reason for the change was I want to get the speedometer and the road in the same shot so we can actually see how fast I'm going instead of just 'hearing' it.[/emoticons/emotion-5.gif]

·
Registered
7,926 Posts
Be careful guys. I read or seen on tv where a biker was using a video camera that caught some high speeds on his speedo. He got busted and prosecuted. His tape was the culprit.

·
Registered
10,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Did he have his plate # and who was riding in the video? I can't imagine if I post a video with just a speedometer and the road in it and say, "hey, check out this video", I'm going to get prosecuted for it? If I do, I contact my lawyer and we just say, prove that it's me. They can't.

·
Registered
718 Posts
I think he is saying if you get pulled over with it on and they suspect you of doing something, they can use the tape in court. Just hit "erase" real quick /emoticons/emotion-1.gif

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Gregg, I was looking at that also but was thinking to use longer bolts and some thick rubber to isolate it from the tank. Also have to come up with a way to dampen the bolts. With your camera it should work well.

·
Super Moderator
13,703 Posts
quote:Originally posted by vector18

Well, it ends up I won the auction for 26 bucks. My digital camera is very light so that might help. I would think our tank has less vibration than our handle bars though? You guys sure it will be worse? I have the Yami double T's so I might be able to stick the camera right through them? The reason for the change was I want to get the speedometer and the road in the same shot so we can actually see how fast I'm going instead of just 'hearing' it.[/emoticons/emotion-5.gif]

Well for $26 bucks, you won't be out much if it doensn't work, and you can always re-list it on ebay to get your money back. I paid $60 for mine [/emoticons/emotion-6.gif] Like I said it didn't work well on my bike. You'd be suprised how much the engine vibrates and the speedo and the bars take up a lot of viewing area. And what makes it worse is there is no shock absorbtion in that mount. It's a ridgid metal mounted to vibrating metal, with a camera mounted on on long floating arm.

Here's a couple of videos I managed to not get corupted with my mount. I also forgot and left it on it's lowest resolution, but you can still see the shakes. I went out that day for a couple of hours trying to get a nice video. I had about a dozen of them corrupt as they were being written, these were the only three that survived.

[url="http://www.sangathor.com/vid/shorewayedit.wmv>http://www.sangathor.com/vid/shorewayedit.wmv

1 - 20 of 37 Posts