RS Warrior Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Here's an update for those that are still interested.

My rear tire got to the point that I couldn't put it off any longer. I sold one of my kidneys on the black market to pay for Avon Storm 2's and most of my vibration problem went away. It still vibrates, but it now feels like what everyone has referred to as 'typical engine vibration'. I've also noticed that the vibration reduces somewhat once you get past 85-90 mph. My mirrors are still pretty much useless. I'm going to put the stock mirrors back on and see if that makes any difference.

I recently went riding with a friend of mine that has a '06 Vulcan 1600 Mean Streak. I couldn't believe how smooth his bike felt. There was very little vibration and it shifted so smooth, I couldn't hear or feel it. That had me a little worried. I've since had 2 different mechanics take it out and they both said the shifting felt normal. The most recent seemed to really know a lot about this bike, in particular. He told me that these bikes are unique in that they're built to perform more like a sport bike and because of that, the tolerances are going to be different than a typical cruiser. For those that are learning, like myself, this explains why they went with a hard-mounted motor, versus soft-mounts - soft mounts absorb power transfer to the drive-train. Not sure I explained that very well.

I do have another question, though. When I first start the bike, it sounds smooth and quiet. After I ride to or from work (roughly 10 miles) and it's warmed up, there seems to be more noise like things rattling around. Is it normal for it to get a little noisier after warm up? I wish I could post a sound clip on here. Maybe I'll figure out a way to post it on Google + or something and link to it from here.

·
Premium Member
10,729 Posts
Hey I forgot about this! Glad the new tire helped. Anything else on the clunk in the front? The Mean streak's shaft dive does make it feel different. My brother had an '05 and when I would ride his it felt weird. I think that was maybe just because it wasn't my warrior though. As for the more noise after warm up. I don't seem to notice any. Something loose maybe? Maybe check all exhaust mount points?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I'll look into that. Thanks! A friend of mine also mentioned that mounting points need to be retorqued every so often. Could be that things are just loose and need to be retorqued.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Also, I removed my custom mirrors and put the OE mirrors back on. Night and day difference. Apparently, the custom mirrors don't like vibration. Now I just have to get used to the Dumbo ears again.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
81 Posts
I do have another question, though. When I first start the bike, it sounds smooth and quiet. After I ride to or from work (roughly 10 miles) and it's warmed up, there seems to be more noise like things rattling around. Is it normal for it to get a little noisier after warm up?

where is your idle set after warm up? I set mine real low when I first bought the bike. It was kinda noisy not really a rattle if I remember right but 850 rpm or 950 should be right. Are you running the correct oil viscosity? To thin or cheap oil could cause problems. Just tossing a few ideas out there I'm sure more smarter people will chime in..

21 - 25 of 25 Posts