RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just stumbled into a GREAT deal on an 07 Yamaha FJR AE my 06 vstrom and 2500.00 That puts the FJR right at about 9K. It's in great shape with lots of upgrades and 12K mileson it. Owned by a retired gentleman that has ridden it across country and now wants an adventure tourer.


I'm going to be riding in luxury...Pick it up Jan 3rd. Since I backed out of the VMax (I still think I did the right thing) this will help. Always loved the FJR and hear the clutchless shifting is awesome......


Preacherman, what do you think...anything specific to the FJRI should look out for? Any other FJR owners?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,695 Posts
Mind has been trouble free for the two years(two riding seasons)that I have had it. I have a little over 10k on mind and she has performed great. I was not particularly fond of the seat until I found out that it was adjustable (two riding positions). You will notice a clunking noise when shifting from first to second sometimes. According to what I have read they all do it (clunk) and the front end shakes at low speeds (15-20 mph in low gear)but can only be felt when you take both hands off the handle bars. When I changed to synthetic oil the clunking sound has all but disappeared. The turn signal is not self-canceling which takes some getting use to if thats a problem there are after market parts to fix that. I just turn mind off like the sports bike guys do.


On the positive side the bike runs like scalded dog (I have seen 145 in fourth gear) and handles very well. The adjustable windshield is such a nice option especially when riding on the interstate at 80 mph. Two up riding is very nice and I love those hard bags. I keep an extra shirt and my rain suit in one side when I go on long rides. Not to mention that you can take them of and carry them like luggage for over night trips. All an all I love this bike.


PS. For got to mention that this thing will jerk the front wheel off the ground like you would not believe. I found that out leaving the Honda shop one day and got slapped in the chest by the gas tank. Congrats on the new bike and I hope you enjoy yours as much as I end joy mind. The guys on the FJR site are pretty nice but make sure you search before asking a question. I got blasted the first time I asked a question and then got a big welcome.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,957 Posts
Ken (A.K.A. Big Shasta) said:
I just stumbled into a GREAT deal on an 07 Yamaha FJR AE  my 06 vstrom and 2500.00  That puts the FJR right at about 9K.  It's in great shape with lots of upgrades and 12K miles on it. Owned by a retired gentleman that has ridden it across country and now wants an adventure tourer. 


I'm going to be riding in luxury...Pick it up Jan 3rd.  Since I backed out of the VMax (I still think I did the right thing) this will help.  Always loved the FJR and hear the clutchless shifting is awesome......


Preacherman, what do you think...anything specific to the FJR I should look out for?  Any other FJR owners?
You will love that beast ! It will go a long way between gas stops, awesome acceleration that just keeps getting stronger along the rev range...... except if ypu whack open the throttle at less than 4K RPM; not much there. If piloted by equally skilled riders, you will run away from a Warrior in the twisties, and everywhere else, although the Warrior is gonna crush ya from a stop light. You will go thru a lot of tires, like the Warrior.
As Preacherman said the FJR forum is a great place for info ... but if you don't post for a while, you vanish from the site.

Put 19K on a new '05 w/o any problems, then it was time for me to move on to another ride.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,600 Posts
Nice Ken, congrats. One of our local members had a problem with the rails on the windshield which kept it from adjusting but it seemed like a quick fix under warranty. He modified the seat some as well to make it a little more comfy. Overall he loves riding it and I'm envious of the performance and practicality of it. Really a stunning bike and very versatile in my opinion, ESPECIALLY compared to the VMax you gave up for sure! Have fun and merry Christmas.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys. I'm excited for sure. I got caught up in the VMax hype and I still think it's an awesome bike but when I looked at the cost (nearly 21K OTD) and the practicality of it, I just couldn't drop that much coin for a pure toy.


I'd like to take some long distance trips next year and the vmax isn't exactly that kinda bike. My VStrom is and would have done them just fine but now I'll be haulin ass in style.


I've done a lot more reading on the AE cluthless shifting. I think it'll be awesome once I get used to it. Sounds like a give and take, less takeoff control/low speed manuvering but no hand cramps in traffic.....how many times do you think I'll reach for it?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,922 Posts
congrats on the new toy and imo its a better looking bike than the vstrom, i am surprised to hear that preacherman has been driving 145mph though, he's always telling everyone they drive too fast
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,343 Posts
Preacherman actually meant 145kph, forgot to change back to miles per hour after resettinghis speedo. Only complaint that I ever heard about the FJR's when working at Yamaha MFG is that the really big guys didn't fit too well (think 6'5"). They found the Roadstar more to their liking. I watched one of the FJRs in Daytona Beach race track doing wheelies and stoppies all the way around the track. Just for grins, they sent out an older race bike and the FJR blew past it on the back straight, impressive bike from what everyone said. It was a toss up between the FJR and the warrior when I got the warrior. Couldn't argue with $8100 price new with $2500 worth of chrome and accessories included.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,238 Posts
Ken. from what I have heard. the only problem with the AE model; is getting used to not letting off the gas while shifting. No kidding, it is supposed to shift better staying on the throttle ( like a scooter; albeit a 1300cc hyper-scooter
). I really considered one of these before buying a Sprint ST abs, just because of a left wrist injury. I have a buddy with a FJR, he will smoke me in the straights, but in the twisties, he just does not have the ground clearance of the ST. It is still one of the best bikes if you plan to travel some. I'd say go for it. the AE does not have the resale value of a regular FJR though, even though they cost more to buy off the showroom floor. use that to your advantage. it is still a great bike. Buy it, and we can make that scary run,,,,,, like me and "centerline"/steve made on his Duc, on our way to "the wedding" at Cherahala Skwy. Steve may be a pilot, and from flat Texas, but he can still smoke this local
Of course Cruise (randy) pwnes me, on a vespa, or moped LOL
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
568 Posts
RX_Warrior said:
Congradulations......this is a must have:


http://www.fjr1300.info/misc/PC-III.html
Bingo. The stock FI is kinda jerky off idle. The PC did a lot to correct that. I even richened my lower end over their settings to further improve the situation. The engine also has a far more satisfying mid range growl after this addition.

A couple other things that I changed were:

1. Triple clamp. I found the bike's riding position was canted too far forward for a bike with a windscreen. Without the aid of air on my chest, the position put to much weight on the wrists for my liking. In addition to providing perfect posture, this Heli-bar also has the side benefit of being a lot more massive than the OEM and quells a lot of the inline 4 buzziness that otherwise makes its way to your digits.

http://www.helibars.com/proddetail.php?prod=HRT076-2

2. The stock windscreen, which is far improved compared to the earlier models, still creates a great deal of wind buffeting. I initially solved this with a Laminar lip, but recently I sprung for a V-Stream windscreen that works even better with the trade-off being that you have to raise it high enough that you look thru it rather than over it.

http://www.laminarlip.com/fjr13.php

http://shop.nationalcycle.com/perl/cycle/N20301?mv_session_id=gFu6rMm3&search_model=ym%2d070%22

I would also highly recommend a top box, just not Yamahas. I had the OEM box and the thing snapped off and tumbled down the highway after only a couple months of use. I'm currently using a Givi from my last bike which is a terrific product (and looks nicer that the Yami box too).

If you're interested, ping me offline and I'll pass along my PC-III map. And if you find you want to dampen the wind beffeting, I can make you a sweet deal on the Laminar Lip already installed on an OEM screen too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,695 Posts
southboundchicken said:
congrats on the new toy and imo its a better looking bike than the vstrom, i am surprised to hear that preacherman has been driving 145mph though, he's always telling everyone they drive too fast
I couldn't help myself a friend challenged me on his Goldwing and I had to show him what was up. We were just crusing along when we hit a long straight, he hit and I decided to show him the power of thr FJ. Looked down at the speedometer, still in fourth gear 145 mph and had not hit the rev limiter yet. By the way you guys di ride to fast.
See ya got to work.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Preacherman said:
southboundchicken said:
congrats on the new toy and imo its a better looking bike than the vstrom, i am surprised to hear that preacherman has been driving 145mph though, he's always telling everyone they drive too fast
I couldn't help myself a friend challenged me on his Goldwing and I had to show him what was up. We were just crusing along when we hit a long straight, he hit and I decided to show him the power of thr FJ. Looked down at the speedometer, still in fourth gear 145 mph and had not hit the rev limiter yet. By the way you guys di ride to fast.
See ya got to work.

And, what was the end result? I heard those goldwings have LONG legs.....BTW, that's too fast.


Thanks for all the help guys.....The bike currently has a really tall windshield so I'll be looking for a smaller screen for around town.


Preacher, had you heard about the potential ignition issue? Not sure how common it is but something to be aware of....Here's the link to the roadside fix. It reminds me of the Warrior CPS issue. They are pushing for a recall.


http://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?showtopic=26098


Here's the upgrades already done to the bike:
Yamaha top box ($850) (WOW that thing is huge.....Probably leave it off unless I need that much space)
ECU upgrade
AP-1 fuseblock
N-Line dash shelf
FZ1 mirrors
Windshield autoretract disabled
Glove box locking solenoid removed
MCL top clamp(up/back 1.5" $300)
V Stream windshield
Throttle Meister cruise
G2 throttle cam
Rider pegs lowered 1.5"
Cee Bailey headlight guards
Triple tree ram ball mount (Already hardwiredfor my Garmin Zumo 550.)
Frame Sliders
Highway pegs

Going from this:


To This:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,695 Posts
Ken (A.K.A. Big Shasta) said:
Preacherman said:
southboundchicken said:
congrats on the new toy and imo its a better looking bike than the vstrom, i am surprised to hear that preacherman has been driving 145mph though, he's always telling everyone they drive too fast
I couldn't help myself a friend challenged me on his Goldwing and I had to show him what was up. We were just crusing along when we hit a long straight, he hit and I decided to show him the power of thr FJ. Looked down at the speedometer, still in fourth gear 145 mph and had not hit the rev limiter yet. By the way you guys di ride to fast.
See ya got to work.

And, what was the end result? I heard those goldwings have LONG legs.....BTW, that's too fast.


Thanks for all the help guys.....The bike currently has a really tall windshield so I'll be looking for a smaller screen for around town.


Preacher, had you heard about the potential ignition issue? Not sure how common it is but something to be aware of....Here's the link to the roadside fix. It reminds me of the Warrior CPS issue. They are pushing for a recall.


http://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?showtopic=26098


Here's the upgrades already done to the bike:
Yamaha top box ($850) (WOW that thing is huge.....Probably leave it off unless I need that much space)
ECU upgrade
AP-1 fuseblock
N-Line dash shelf
FZ1 mirrors
Windshield autoretract disabled
Glove box locking solenoid removed
MCL top clamp(up/back 1.5" $300)
V Stream windshield
Throttle Meister cruise
G2 throttle cam
Rider pegs lowered 1.5"
Cee Bailey headlight guards
Triple tree ram ball mount (Already hardwiredfor my Garmin Zumo 550.)
Frame Sliders
Highway pegs

Going from this:


To This:
The Goldwing is fast but no match for the FJR. When we slowed down and stopped the guy on the wing told me that he was giving her everything she had and I went by him like he was sitting still.That is a beautiful bike you will love it and thanks for the link, first I have heard.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,574 Posts
Ken...I am the local member that Marco Polo was talking about. I have a 2007 Black Cherry, sits next to my 2005 Black Cherry Warrior.

The FJR is intoxicating...the speed....the braking is amazing. Really having a great time on it....It lets the Warrior sit quietly in the garage during wet weather (black engines are a b*tch to clean. I am making a set of hiway pegs that I will show on both the fjr forum and here when they are done. I was pleased to hear quite a few have made the same grreat choice that I did.

Be careful....she likes the long rodes and eats them as she goes ....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Picked up the bike yesterday. Rode 5 hours on my VStromto meet up and trade and then rode the FJR 4 hours home (different route, not just speed saving time)


Having never had a "Sport Bike" or even an inline 4 cylinder, this bike is a freakin ROCKET SHIP.....The electronic shift is very quick...I love it. Going to takea littlegetting used to. I figured out real fast that it's best to use just your index finger for up and down shifts.....this after I hit the horn 3 times trying to downshift.


I'm going to have to be real careful about bumping the throttle while sitting....I can see an unexpected takeoff when all I wanted was a few revs see if she's warmed up. I guess the biggest factor is making sure I only get off while it's in neutral. Now that I think about it, you can't be in gear with the kickstand down, shouldn't be an issue...just can't bump the throttle at stoplights...a bad habit of mine.....soon to be broken.


I think this might be the only bike I've ever owned that I'm going to keep with the stock exhaust. It sounds like a jet engine winding up at 5K and above.


It feels REALLY wide compared to any other bike I've owned....even the warrior but it doesn't seem to effect handling.


All in all, I really love it and feel like I got a great deal. The previous owner just bought it in July 08.....did 2long trips, a LOT of modsand wanted something different...bonus for me.
 
1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Top