RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
There I was coming back from work, going slow, following traffic, happy to get home early, then I saw the police in a Dodge Caravan doing radar.

I was 5 km/H under the speed limit so I didn't care. Then I see him behind me with the lights and siren, so I changed lane to let him pass since that's what I thought he wanted to do, he shut the lights and continue to follow ; I said to myself "his call was cancelled".

Then next intersection lights and siren again so I pulled over. He told me he want to do a check since my bike was making too much noise.

I said I'd be very surprised since I recently installed Quiet Baffles in them ;), then he told me he was specialized in evaluation of modified vehicles.

So he got a book out with specifications for distance between flashers and from the rear brake light meaning my integrated tail light was not legal.

Then my Scythe II mirrors were not big enough for the book specs. I told him they are not that tiny and they don't shake at all so it's very secure since I can see behind while I'm riding instead of cheap big shaking mirrors.

After that he noticed I don't have the red rear and sides reflectors, another infraction at $162 each, so he asked for my papers.

After a while, he came back and told me my biggest issue was my driver's license expired at my birthday last week, meaning $500 fine + vehicle towing and impoundment fees at my expense. I said "WHAT ?", I don't know how it happened but apparently my bank payment for the license renewal didn't work and I said to myself "WTF is happening".

Then the officer said "I am not the kind of guy who gives tickets for fun, I will let you go with only the exhaust fine and a mandatory inspection since my goal is more safety than making a ticket quota". He said the missing reflectors will have to be replaced but for the inspection will only check the exhaust for being attached safely to the bike so that is why he kept the fine for it.

I promised I would get to the license outlet ASAP, which is what I did.

First time in my life I get a ticket from such a nice person!

·
Administrator
27,870 Posts
I just meant that no doubt you deserved a break, and although not pulling you over at all would have been the right thing for the cop to do . . . from your post it sounds like it could have been far worse, and I'm glad it wasn't far worse but unhappy it happened in the first place. Your 'silver lining' is it could have been worse, the 'coal' is he pulled you over in the first place for no good reason.

Silver linings are good, probably you've had your fair share of coal, right!
Not sure I understand what you mean Arizona Warrior

·
Premium Member
774 Posts
This reminds me that I didn't share my crazy story from last Friday. I passed a cop on my way to the local watering hole and didn't think much of it, since I wasn't speeding or driving stupid. However, I pulled in and parked and as I was doing so the same cop whipped into the parking lot right behind me. As I was getting off the bike the lady cop comes over to me in a hurry and says "you're not in trouble..." I'm like, WTF? She continues; "I saw your taillight flash at the last stop light. Is that built in and where did you get it?" Turns out she rides too, Harley though, and really liked my Custom Dynamics taillight and the built in strobe.

We had a nice little chat there in front of the bar and then she went on her way. I walked in the door and everyone is like, "what happened?" I just smiled and let them know she pulled me over because she was admiring my rearend. :D

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That sucks snowboy, sounds alot lot like what happened to me last year. But on the bright side, seems like you got lucky in your bad luck.
Yeah, actually I was happy to know my license renewal wasn't OK and not discovering it when I am in the States or in another province, and really happy not getting that part of the fine.

What did you do for the reflectors? Tape?

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I just meant that no doubt you deserved a break, and although not pulling you over at all would have been the right thing for the cop to do . . . from your post it sounds like it could have been far worse, and I'm glad it wasn't far worse but unhappy it happened in the first place. Your 'silver lining' is it could have been worse, the 'coal' is he pulled you over in the first place for no good reason.
Thanks for the explanation, you know my mother tongue is not English so sometimes I have a hard time with expression. :)

·
Registered
451 Posts
I think Arizona may have meant clouds as every cloud has a silver lining. As the Grateful Dead once said "every silver lining's got a touch of gray." Fits this situation perfectly.

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
The old saying went that if you were a bad child Santa Claus left coal in your stocking. Most kids nowadays wouldn't have a clue about that I suspect. So Arizona kinda mixed two sayings - the every cloud (something bad) has a silver lining (something good) along with you've probably had enoug coal already (bad things happened to you). Or he could have meant you have had enough coal instead of diamonds. Or he's just a huge malapropism kinda guy...

·
Registered
188 Posts
In Canada in certain places, they do make a bigger stink than others. For example, in the Alberta Capital city of Edmonton, they had a new bylaw out for a while that specifically targeted guys with "too loud" exhausts. However, they would stop a bike or set up bike traps that would pull over bikes just because they were bikes, then put a meter right next to the exhaust and make you rev it!

However needless to say from what I understand, the ticket never stuck in a court of law and almost all of them were thrown out, serves the city idiots right for implementing a rule that target bikes and not dumb rice rockets with Monza tips driven by 19 year old children.

Here in Calgary, they have "noise traps" similar to photo radar which will automatically issue a ticket to any vehicle that is over a certain decibel level. This I would actually support, as even I get annoyed by the rice rocket cars and dumbass HDs with pipes that crack your eardrums... I know that in Calgary they target certain areas, such as 17th ave, where everyone cruises with their overdone bikes and rods on a weekend. Just stay away from the areas where the speed traps hang out as well, or at least don't keep punching the throttle on your ridiculous unbaffled HD while cruising down the stretch at 10 mph.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts