RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up the Yamaha tank bag today. I bought it because I hate the look of saddle bags, and I was sick of wearing a back pack. Overall, the bag seems to be of good quality. The materials are tough, and the zippers are heavy duty. I read somewhere that putting a tool box drawer liner inbetween the bag and the tank will protect the paint job from damage. I took this advice and bought a roll of Kobolt tool box drawer liner. Unfortunately the magnets on the bag are not powerful enough to go through the liner. But I still made a cut out from the roll of liner, and just cut out spaces so the magnets could directly touch the tank. So no part of the bag touches the paint except for the four magnets. I had the bag stuffed to the max on my way to work today, and the bag in no way obscructed my view of the tach or speedometer. When the magnets are directly on the tank, they seem pretty powerful, and the bag doesn't move at all going down the freeway at 70mph. However I probably wouldn't trust it if I was speeding excessivly. I only rode the bike about 30 miles today with the bag, and I checked the tank, and there is no damage to the clearcoat. I will update this thread if damage ever results. When I put the bag on the bike for the first time I noticed that one of the zippers touches the tank. I wrapped it in electrical tape for the time being, and will soon replace it with a leather tassle or something. Also while riding the zippers bounce and jingle. I wear a full faced helmet, so it doesn't bother me that much, but if you ride with your ears exposed, I'd cut the zippers off and tie something else on there. Thats my review

·
Premium Member
1,482 Posts
I haven't got the Yamaha tank bag, but have got one that's similar. I experienced the same problem with the bag magnets not being powerful enough to keep the bag in place, at speed with the drawer liner underneath. I mount my bag with the carry handle facing foward a use a small bungy chord looped around the handle and anchored to the front of the tank. I use a piece of tape on the tank at the front to protect it from any rubbing. I've seen 120 on the clock with no bag movement. Make sure noneof the zip pulls can touch the tank, it won't take them long to rub the paintwork on a run.

·
Premium Member
8,921 Posts
My personal experience with magnetic tank bags on a long distant trip is that at elevated speeds you want to be sure that the bottom of the bag doesn't flutter from the wind or vibration else it will beat the clear coat and leave a fine finger or footprint of the fabric weave

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
I have the Yamaha tank bag also. It will discolor if you leave it in the sun. I also taped my zipper for the same reason. And yes my zippers jingle too, you just get used to it. Watch out for when the bag is loaded or you have something big in there that will prevent the bag from sitting flush with the tank and will prevent one of the magnets from touching the tank. If riding in excessive speeds i lean over the bag with my body keeping it from wanting to fly off.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts