RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got my rear wheel off, stripped and ready to polish. I'd like to grind off the lip that goes down the center of the rim all the way around. This is where the weights attach for balancing the wheel, but I figure I can use the stick-um type of balancers instead. Anyone done this before or have any thoughts on it. I want to make it smooth all the way across. I'm also going to grind off all the lettering and nubs also. Appreciate anyone thoughts on this. Thanks

·
Registered
421 Posts
Motoman, seems like a reasonable thing to do. I wonder if you will wind up with more stiky balancers than nubs if you arent able to keep the wheel balanced?

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Hi Motoenthusiast,

One concern I would have would be the fact that these wheels are cast and not forged.
Cast wheels are porus and you could open up some air pockets by grinding on them.
Would hate to see you ruin your wheels and possibly create a safety issue.

Harley Jones

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Hi Motoenthusiast,

I was not concerned about the rims holding air as much as I was about opening up air pockets when you grind on them, leaving small
porus holes that will not polish out. This may or may not happen, but with cast wheels it is possible. I had a Transmission pan on a car once that was cast alum. that I did some grinding on to clear some stuff, after that the fluid seaped right through the grinded area on the pan, so I quess the air might also escape.

Harley Jones

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Sticky tape weights suck. Especially if you wash your bike. Which you do. The foam breaks down after repeated washings, and leaves a mess when you remove them. They can also fall off, which is why you see all the racers duct taping them to the rims. They can be more accurate for balancing, however. You are much better off with the standard snap on weights.

TJ

·
Registered
104 Posts
That rib acts as a stiffening rib and helps stiffen the rim and spread the load out between the spokes. Removing it WOULD weaken the wheel and cause a higher stress concentration at the junction of the spokes and the rim. Should you be concerned about this? I don't know if wheel failure would be a possibility or not. I'd say probably not, but do you want to take a chance?
[?]

·
Registered
579 Posts
I asked the head mechnic at my dealer and he said it should not be a problem, he would do it if it was his bike. I then asked a chrome shop and they said it looks much nicer and makes the rim look wider and said they would do it and they have done it on several bikes. I am thinking I may have them grind it. I can't really see it being structrial because the weight is mostly at the edge of the rim. I'll see waht more people say.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've gotten about an equal amount of opinions on both sides of this issue from both this website and fellow enthusiasts I've talked to at work. I'd hoped someone else had already done this, but doesn't sound like it, at least with the Warriors. I'm having the tire taken off so I can see what the center of the rim looks like from the underside. If it looks nice and meaty (thick) I think I'll go ahead and grind off the seam. I should have taken the tire off to start with but I have a tendecy to rush into things and not take the time to do it right. Bad trait. Thanks again for everyones input and thanks to the moderators that make this site happen, it's a great website.

·
Registered
579 Posts
I will have my wheels back tommrow with the tires off, send me an email and we can touch base if you want. Let me know if you get any negitive feedback about doing this, otherwise to the grinder next week they go.

·
Registered
183 Posts
well I may have been one of the first to polish his own warrior wheels on this forum(dec/jan)and I considered removing that rib or structural beem however you want to look at it but after careful consideration,and using my past experience with aluminum castings(I've been an aircraft mechanic for 16 years)anytime I've ever seen something as substantial as that it's there for a reason.However I did remove the lettering and nub's from the spokes and they polished out beautifully,they also balanced out with no more weight than was originally installed.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
After removing the tire and looking at the thickness of the metal in the center of the rim, I no longer feel comforable grinding off that lip. I agree, it is probably there for more than a place to mount the balancers. I'm going to polish it as best I can and maybe it will be so shiny, it will seem to disappear.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts