RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have an '04 w/BAK, PCIII, & VH pipe. I have always noticed a slight ginding noise when off the gas a using engine compression to slow and down shift. Well it seems to have woreson and is noticeably louder. Sounds terrible! Any ideas? TIA

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the quick responses. The noise dose seem to be coming from the left front side. Is this easy to check myself or fix if need be? Warranty just ran out.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
The pulley is easy to check. You do need some common tools.

Write down the position of the axle alignment marks. Loosen the drive belt all the way. (Adjusters, axle nut, rear brake bolt.) Remove the pulley cover. Check the pulley shaft nut. It should not be loose at all. Wiggle the pulley. It should not move on the shaft at all, in any direction. (Mine does. Dealer said "Don't drive it".) If these are loose you have a problem. If OK, put things back together and adjust the axle positioners to the original position.

Also, check the fluid level in the transfer case. Mine was 1/3 low and the noise did quiet down when the dealer refilled it. You have to remove the muffler and rear cylinder pipe to get to the inspection and level ports. Also, easy to do.

My warranty expired on June 12th. I told my dealer that this does not just happen over night and I expect it to be a warrantee repair. Mention that you have read of this happening to other owners. My dealer is being very cooperative. I suspect they may have over tensioned and slightly misaligned the belt at the 4000 mile service. I noticed the noise staring about a month later.

·
Super Moderator
8,496 Posts
I add to MR Wilsons remarks that you don not have to loosen your axle adjusters, just remove the axle "nut" and caliper bolt, you will be able to remove the slide block off on the "nut" side and push the axle out just enough to get the other slide block clear of the adjuster recess on the swingarm. A tug on the rear wheel will aid in removal and reinstallation of the "nut" side slide block.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
While you are down there, check the belt tension. Similar noises happen to me and I found the belt tension too tight and loose pulley nut. After loosening and tightening the two areas the noise disappeared.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
[xx(] Well, thanks for the help you all. Pulled the cover and found the nut to be very loose. Tightened it and decided to ride the 7 miles to the dealer. It's a wonder the pully didn't fail sooner. The teeth were all but gone, maybe a 16th or less. Shaft splines are chewed up a bit. Warranty was up May 29th but the service manager is going to try and push for the repairs. For now, thanks to the dealer, we installed a pully which they removed from an '05 show room bike. Parts have been ordered and I am back on the road. Need to be easy on the gas till the fix.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts