RS Warrior Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So let me start this off and say that I haven't rode my bike in a month in a half due to some exhaust BS but I got them installed last week or so, took it out for a joy ride around the block for a while, it rode fine, then parked it for a week because I went on a road trip. On return from the trip I went to install the final piece to complete my bikes look and then I ran into this issue.

So from start to finish; I went to go install a right side cover up (pictured) I got from a guy on Facebook. This cover up besides being badass, also lights up red. Per the schematic I uploaded, I spliced in the power wire for the light to the blue/yellow wire coming from the start switch (3) to the relay unit (9). I put the lights jumper wire about 6 inches away from the relay unit connector. I chose this wire because it only goes to components such as the neutral switch (13), Side-stand switch (14), and the Clutch switch (50). I'm not licensed or anything but I am an electrician by trade. Unless I'm missing, something this shouldn't affect any serious operations of the bike. I also chose this peculiar wire because it will make my right side cover up only turn on when I turn the key to the "On" position. Anyways, I spliced it in and now I go to test it.

I turn the key to on but it fails, light doesn't go on and I'm puzzled. "Maybe I should start it?". I go to start it (kick stand out, in neutral, and engine start switch on) and it gurgles and pops until about a quart of brown water comes out of my exhaust! (the bike starts though) This threw me for a loop because I was gone for a week and I always keep the bike cover over it, It did rain a little when I was gone (as much as it can in San Diego at least) but IDK how all that water got into my pipes. The bike did start though, I then look at the cover and it still doesn't light up. Knowing the wire goes to various interlocks I squeeze in the clutch and put it in 1st gear... bike stalls. I start the bike and do this 3 times trying to figure it out. I then realize I'm just dumb AF because the kickstand has always been out (whoops). I go to start it up again and it never turns over! It just sits there trying its hardest to start but will just end up morphing into this horrendous clicking sound coming from below the brake fluid fill port. Since I messed up the kickstand earlier, I review the interlocks and ensure it in neutral before trying again, it still does the loud click and doesn't even try to start.

Knowing that I just spliced in this wire, in fear I wired it wrong so I go and check my handy work. Everything looks normal and nothing is blatantly wrong with anything. Just to be sure I undo my jumper into the blue/yellow wire and try again. No joy. This same loud clicking is still present, I begin to feel around the bike to find the source and it feels like my starter relay is doing this rapid clicking. I check the battery power, interlocks, undo my wiring, and nothing made it better (or worse).

Sorry if this was long for you but I just wanted to give you the most details I could so you could possibly help me out. Was it something I did? Just coincidence? Easy fix??? Please let me know cuz I just put thousands of dollars worth of upgrades on this beast, didn't even ride it for more than 15 minutes, and I'm gonna be heartbroken if its all F***ed now lol

Attachments

·
Premium Member
'05 Midnight
2,965 Posts
Honestly, it sounds like you just ran your battery down with the three starts. Throw it on a charger and try again tomorrow.

If that doesn’t fix it, you may have fried your starter relay. IF that’s the case, only buy a genuine Yamaha Roadstar Warrior relay. It’s wired differently than all the other ones out there.

Last bit of advice, wire it to the blue running light circuit. It’ll give you what you want but keeps you out of the sensor circuit.

·
Super Moderator
982 Posts
The constant clicking sounds like C.O.D (click of death) usually occurs when the indicator lights / brake are changed to LED … I’ve no idea if what you have done has bought that on … check the battery state of charge, possibly it just needs charging up to give it the ooomph to fire ….

good luck, & whatever doesn’t work can be fixed. 👍

·
[Retired Admin-SuperMod]
31,492 Posts
@Leni-man

Your battery is under-voltage, it won't power the starter and the sensor array at the same time. Before replacing the battery, check for parasitic drain. Also verify the decompression solenoid is working right.

You might post pictures of your Warrior from all 4 sides and underseat. Some mods play badly. It might need other treatment.

Is the right side cover illumination using LED or incandescent? If LED, does it have built-in resistance? Also, where is it's ground connection?

If it were me, I would opt to remove the connection and heal the yellow/blue wire/insulation. Instead, if the side cover light is incandescent then tap power off the blue front running lights wire found in the headlight bucket. If it's LED with built-in-resistance then tap power under the rider seat after the fuses in the solid brown or off the red/yellow. Use a ground off the light to the frame or to a handy solid black ground wire. I believe, since you are an airman sparky, you know how to weatherproof connections. It's not 400hz obviously. Cover with just 2 wraps to maintain flexibility. Or build-up rubber bullet plugs.

Any of these connections will turn on the right side light at key-on. The low beam headlight bulb is on a delay as you know, so it won't illuminate until the motor is running.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I put the battery on the tender and it fired up fine, I've never seen it do that before with just a low battery. I'm really kicking myself in the head for that one lol I also wired up that light fixture to the red/yellow wires like y'all said and it worked great! I really screwed the pooch on this one boys and I cant be thankful enough for the help I get on this forum!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts