RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased my new '05 midnight warrior about 6 weeks ago. And am already suffering from severe case of modifyidus. I have done the BAK, jug hugger pipes, PCIII. Am giving serious consideration to puting the H.C. pistons in. I am certain it is an upgrade that is well worth the money. What the real question is how much of a difference do they make? And is it a job That is better left to the trained wrenches to do?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
From talking to others the recall was sort of a blessing in disguise, as far as doing internal mods that is.

·
Registered
11,588 Posts
You will gain about 8 to 12hp if you have pipes and air kit the real gain is with the pistons, cam and ful map.. Your then looking at 25hp and 25 tq gain

·
Premium Member
13,680 Posts
Great addition to the engine, they really make it pull strong. If you are a semi-decent wrench you can easily do it yourself. If not, let the pros take care of putting them in.

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
I took the top end of my motor off friday after work and shipped the heads off for bigger valves and new S* Springs Sat morning. I already have the HC pistons done during recal so I don't have to take the cylinders and pistons off but with the heads off it's only another 30 min job. I also installed S* Cams sunday morning in about another 45 min. Because I have about 35,000 miles I also replaced the lifters and push rods even thought they show no signs of wear. Here is my points

1. If you have the tools, a manual, some time and average ability you can do the work.
2. I would suggest the cams and springs while you have it apart.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Another thing to consider is a big bore kit. The BB kit from us is a great deal. $795 gets you all the machine work, new headgaskets, and a high compresison piston kit too.

·
Registered
231 Posts
You know you're going to want more power, even after the HC Pistons, so why not go big and then not have another mod to want further down the road.

If you are going to either pay to have it torn down, or tear it down yourself (meaning that you aren't getting the tear down for free) I recommend the Big Bore kit. I got HC pistons put in for $150 extra, as one cylinder was getting torn down for a warranty head gasket replacement at the dealer.

I'll be putting a big bore kit on my bike once it has a couple more riding seasons on it.

I was more comfortable swallowing the extra cash just to keep my Yamaha extended service plan for the final year as I was pretty sure a big bore kit would negate any future claims.

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
I had mine done during the recall (yes, a blessing in disquise, saved about $800 in labor. I already had the pipes, air kit, and TFI on so I could really see what kind of bump I got from the pistons. Lemme tell you, they add some THUMP!! I got a good deal from Orient Express and in my opinion, well worth the money as far as "bang for the buck".

·
Registered
12,497 Posts
I think if you aren't going to do everything, (Cams. big bore, injectors, blah, blah,) the pistons are not really worth it. So if you just want to tear your bike apart to put pistons in, I wouldn't do it.

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
I had mine during the recall and I think they made a great different in the way the bike ran, it pulls harder and I gain a little more top end. THe question you need to ask yourself is how fast do you want to go? My bike takes me way faster than I ever wanted to go. Pistons are well worth the money IMO.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts