RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I was looking for a way to get my bike from northeast Ohio down to my brother in Jacksonville Florida. U haul one way was in the ballpark of 250 so looking at 500 round trip. Figured I could buy something to keep for that price and started an obsessive search for a trailer.

Long story short I heard about the HF trailers and was skeptical but researched a ton on them so I figured screw it and bought the 1200 capacity folding trailer kit with 12 inch tires, here's my experience.

The trailer is a project to get it together. Not difficult just some wrench time. I used red locktite on all the bolts, some others online bolted then welded it, I stuck with the red locktite. Used 3/4 inch pressure treated plywood cut in half. Notched the sides to sit into the frame flush and notched the corners to clear the bolt heads. 10k lbs rated D rings in each corner with stainless steel plates on the underside for tie downs. These are not welded to the frame but good luck pulling them through.

Bought a wheel chock also from harbor. Got it positioned and bolted a steel plate again to the bottom of the trailer. Welded some nuts on the bottom plate to keep them captured so the wheel chock can be put on and taken off without hassle.

Built some staked sides with 1x10s to act as rock guards. Reading more on using the trailer at speed my big concerns were the hubs, tires, and overall stability. I was able to find the DOT speed rating of the hf tires and believe their rated up to 86mph. The hubs I stripped and hand packed with mobile 1 synthetic bearing grease.

I reinforced the tongue with another cross bar to give full boxed support. I bought the friction sway control bar also from harbor' the ball plate is wider than the tounge and it also sits lower than the hitch. So I cut a piece of angle iron and bolted it to the top of the tounge to give me more real estate for the sway control ball, this also brought it more inline with the hitch.

Took my time wiring the lights. Ran a separate ground wire to all lights and used wire loom the whole way through.

Well I made the 2000 mile round trip and this trailer kicks ass. 75 - 80mph the whole way. 14 straight hours driving (one way) and the hubs were never more than warm to touch. The trailer tracked straight as an arrow and even through smacking some nasty bumps gave me not one lick of trouble. No blown tires. No fried bearings.

I would not hesitate to recommend this to anyone with some mechanical know how as a viable option. And storing it is even easier.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,574 Posts
That's awesome, good skills!

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
so what did your total price end up being?

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Well I used 25% off coupons for all the harbor freight things I bought. The trailer cost about 550 in the end but that includes a lot of spare parts (two sets of extra bearings, seals, spare tire etc.). So it cost a little more than a rental. But I have a trailer now (and it can be used for more than just the bike) If I include the cost of absolutely everything such as the ramp, good tie down straps, soft loops and all that crap you can add another couple hundred. But you need all those kinds of things no matter what trailer you go with. Don't cheap out on your straps.

And most importantly it stores very compact, which keeps it out of the elements and my way.

The bike made the round trip with me, my brother rides a Vrod. I just wanted to race him up and down the Florida coast! ::evil::

Attachments

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh yeah! Those fender bounce like ****! I drilled a hole in the front side of the trailer frame and added another bolt and spacer to reinforce them.

·
Registered
8,230 Posts
Nice job/write up + like your shop.

Suggest Bearing Buddies for the hubs & a dedicated grease gun with bearing grease.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Thanks for all the positive feedback! I'm proud of this project and want to put this information and my experience out there to help others in the same boat. It's a 4x8 bed which the warrior fits perfectly in.

Bearing buddies are definatley on my list. These hubs do have zerk fittings on the backs, you can remove the dust caps and pack new grease through the bearings from behind. Just make sure you remove the dust caps so you don't blow the rear seal.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Trailer is awesome but who won the race ? :cool:
LOL! LOL That VROD is a killer bike, my bro pulls away from me in a long haul but I give him a run off the line. Id say get him in the twisties but my 280 kit killed that for me :D I looked better tho!:cool:

·
Registered
310 Posts
Not to overly promote Harbor Freight, but I looked and looked locally for ramps and ended up getting a pair of steel ramps from HF for around $59 (plus roughly $20 shipping). Ramps are matched pair, very heavy duty with a nice finish and extended plate that bolts onto the end. I mounted one onto my single jet ski trailer and then have the second one for getting the bike onto the trailer. Haven't used it yet to transport the bike but don't see any concerns when that time comes. Can't take pics right now because Sea Doo is sitting on the trailer.
I highly recommend their ramps, especially for the price. Watch for one of their coupon deals that they regularly have to save a few bucks.

·
Premium Member
16,372 Posts
That is a great write up. Thank you for sharing.....only thing I would add is a complete parts list of all parts and material you added, lengths of boards, sizes, number of bolts and sizes, time invested etc. just a line item, detailed list would be cool, so the next person has an excellent reference to what they actually need to make an exact replica of your great work. Thanks again.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Nice job! I had this trailer too. Bought it used for $200, had to fix everything that was wrong, added new floor and wheel chock. Noticed that the frame was slighlty bent! (not sure how/why) but it bothered me. It worked well for the few times I trailored my bikes. Just sold it for $400 but I would buy another if needed in the future. I watched a video with one guy putting it together. It looks like a real time consuming job for sure.

http://s1202.photobucket.com/user/Ace7551/media/2014-06-17161944.jpg.html

http://s1202.photobucket.com/user/Ace7551/media/2014-06-17161934.jpg.html

1 - 20 of 33 Posts