RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
am I the only one or is there anybody else have a hard clunk while putting in first gear or down shifting. I do use the clutch all the time when I'm down shifting and it has the clunk still.

·
Banned
5,508 Posts
clutch adjustment , tight belt, loose belt, its a machine it will make noises . when sitting still pull clutch in and wait a few seconds then put it in gear . down shifting when rolling fast and shifting to way lower gears will clunk. btk572

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've played with the clutch cable many times and have removed my belt and ran it lose and tight through out the time i've had my bike and there's never been a change on how hard it goes into gears. I don't down shift while in a high rpm and even if I coast from 5 th gear and pull the clutch while slowing to a stop then down shift from 5th to 1 while stopped it clunks through every gear. I only have around 23,000 miles. I know there is usually noise on bikes but it just feels like its to hard and is loud. An example of how it sounds and hard it is, its probably like if you hold the brake, throttle, RPMs about 1200 then shift to a gear.

I have also had my rpm set at 800 through 950 and it still had the same affect. I just don't want something to get damaged or get worse then it is and have a very expensive repair.

·
Banned
5,508 Posts
I've played with the clutch cable many times and have removed my belt and ran it lose and tight through out the time i've had my bike and there's never been a change on how hard it goes into gears. I don't down shift while in a high rpm and even if I coast from 5 th gear and pull the clutch while slowing to a stop then down shift from 5th to 1 while stopped it clunks through every gear. I only have around 23,000 miles. I know there is usually noise on bikes but it just feels like its to hard and is loud. An example of how it sounds and hard it is, its probably like if you hold the brake, throttle, RPMs about 1200 then shift to a gear.

I have also had my rpm set at 800 through 950 and it still had the same affect. I just don't want something to get damaged or get worse then it is and have a very expensive repair.
well one thing is you should go thru the gears as you slow so the trans can mesh as you shift . try holding the clutch in for a few seconds then shift from neutral to 1st gear. might check your front pulley and gear oil in the transfer case. look for any shaft play too. btk572

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I usually drop through the gears but sometimes I don't. I have the correct amount of fluid, I'll check the shaft and pulley. Thanks

·
Premium Member
8,542 Posts
rij1 ... see if any of this adds some clearity :
Hard shifting... CLUNK

RicknPlano ....

The Warrior has a typical modern 5-speed motorcycle transmission that is constant mesh (all gear sets are engaged with each other at all times) and shifting is done sequentially which means there is no skipping thru the gears. The clunking is the sliding engagement dog picking up the spinning gear and is typical to this design. Especially noticeable when dropping down into 1st gear from neutral.
Here’s a recent thread by Churchkey on a related issue:Clutch Issue????? : Clutch Issue????? - Road Star Warrior Forum : Yamaha Star Warrior Forums:
Thanks for the ideas, everyone. I finally got around to checking it out (that pesky job is getting in the way) I put it up on the lift and here is what I found:
...no noise from the rear wheel spinning it in neutral
...brake pads rubbing in the front making a little noise, will clean but I don't think it's significant
...started the bike and engaged first gear, didn't notice anything excessive

...took off the front pulley cover, nut was tight, it was dirty but I didn't notice any red dust, the nut holding it on was different than the one in the manual, no tabs but it was staked, have you seen that?
  • '06' & > use a different middle shaft as well as a new style crush-nut and conical washer.
What I'm not sure about is that when the bike is off and I put it in 1st gear, I can't rotate the rear wheel with the clutch in, is this normal? Also, when the bike is running and I put it in 1st, the back wheel spins even with the clutch pulled in.
  • Normal
I think the noise I am hearing is coming when I am rolling in gear, even with the clutch in. When in gear, is the rear wheel turning the transmission even with the clutch pulled in?
  • Yes it is ... the Warrior has a constant mesh trans which is the norm for MC's, when not in neutral the gear 'dogs' are engaged and the trans input shaft is disengaged by the wet clutch which has some friction.
    • On a higher mileage bike the noise could be from the throw out bearing on the clutch plate which will emulate from the left engine cover where it resides.
If that is not how it is supposed to work, the clutch may not be engaging fully. Test riding this afternoon to re-assess.

Whaddya think?

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oil was changed about 1,000 miles ago and is up to level,

I'm not going to worry about it anymore since it sounds normal. Thanks guys..

·
Registered
692 Posts
My warrior does the same thing, clutch adjustment can help a little bit but not eliminate the clunkyness. I've noticed the clutch free play changes as a function of cold versus warmed up so sometimes I'll make minor adjustments at a stop light if I'm bored: usually the clutch is tight at cold start then loosens up after riding a while. In my experience with my warrior it started around 33,000 miles after a fun filled ride of speed shifting on the dragon, I'm at 47,000 miles now and the shift clunk hasn't changed nor has it affected riding or performance. This is even after upgrading the clutch to a Barnette with the green springs.

Don't sweat it. Just ride the **** out of the bike until it explodes! that's my plan at least - get your damned monies worth right?! LOL

·
Registered
4,413 Posts
Oil was changed about 1,000 miles ago and is up to level,

I'm not going to worry about it anymore since it sounds normal. Thanks guys..
I changed to royal purple 20-50 and it quieted mine down some but it still makes a little noise. Not as bad though

I changed to Synthetic oil at 20K and it really quietened mine down. I used the Honda Synthetic in the Warrior and it really made a difference in the noise. I use it in my BKing now. Suzuki's are known to have really smooth gearboxes anyway. Smooth as Butter.:D

·
Administrator
27,893 Posts
It occurs to me it might be good to illustrate exactly where the clunking is coming from because some of our (including my) comments over the years may be unintentionally misleading. So I did some searching but could only find the following youtube, its a riding lawnmower transmission but its good enough to explain constant mesh:

There's a couple old threads around this joint with pics of the actual gears un-assembled, you'll see the inner design of the Warrior's gears from that.

·
Premium Member
4,742 Posts
OK, I'm gonna say it, the clutch sucks.

Yep Just like everybody else, mine too! Checked the pulley nut, run the belt a little loose. I even moved the clutch arm on the engine case one spline to give it a different starting point in the pull range. Nothing seems to change it.

I then adjusted the the clutch cable at the mid point, next to the frame, then did the final adjustment at the lever and that actually helped a bit. ( I guess?) Don't know why, but it did.

What every single other person has stated I have gone thru...

It seems like I am always adjusting the lever....

G

·
Registered
32 Posts
I thought the same thing when I first got my bike but ever since I have been riding in packs I notice a lot of my friends bikes do the same think. harley, Yamaha, Honda. I used to think my wife just didn't know how to shift gears till I started listening to everybody else and my own. its a solid transmission holding back quiet a bit of torque. I think its pretty normal for this bike a a lot of others imo.

·
Banned
5,508 Posts
It occurs to me it might be good to illustrate exactly where the clunking is coming from because some of our (including my) comments over the years may be unintentionally misleading. So I did some searching but could only find the following youtube, its a riding lawnmower transmission but its good enough to explain constant mesh: constant mesh gearbox explained - YouTube

There's a couple old threads around this joint with pics of the actual gears un-assembled, you'll see the inner design of the Warrior's gears from that.
link dont work ???? no good explanation for the clunk ,clink noise, lol btk572

·
Administrator
27,893 Posts
Link works fine for me, checked it again even.

Confused if it didn't work are you saying there's no good explanation for clunk based on the link not working or something else?

When you see how the transmission shifts constantly-meshed gears you'll see the clunk noise is coming off the parts that actually move, to include sometimes the shift cam assembly, the shift forks, and the gear stopper plate. :D

link dont work ???? no good explanation for the clunk ,clink noise, lol btk572

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The link does work. You has have to click on the title on the window. The play button isn't working.

·
Registered
895 Posts
I always figured that the clunk was just telling people next to you that this a powerhouse, so back off. Or I was wrong the whole time.
Would be safe to say that my bike is a clunker?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts