RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First, not on the Warrior, but my 2007 Honda VTX1800. But it's too good a story to not tell.

I got off work at 7:00 a.m. (overnight shift) and didn't know it was going to rain. And boy, did it!!! It just started to rain when I left work (It's 14 miles to home) and within four blocks, I KNEW I was going to be soaked. But I don't let getting wet stop me from riding. This is one of the heaviest rains I've ever been in. Visibly was down to about an 1/8 mile at times.

Ten miles later, I'm pulling off the interstate, slowing down on the declining off ramp, when I felt a bunch of water shift forward inside my leather jacket sleeve. Wow, never had that before! Another couple of miles and I get to the traffic light intersection at the edge of town. Naturally, I just missed the left turn green arrow so I have to sit through another cycle. And of course, the left turn trigger won't recognize motorcycles. I'm not about to sit through another cycle and was going to turn left the next time the intersection was green (with a red left arrow).

Fortunately a car pulled up behind me, so no worries there. The green arrow eventually goes on and I turn left - and knew immediately that that wasn't a good idea! SOOOO much water was splashing up in front of me that I couldn't see ANYTHING! So I slowed down a bit, checked my bearings to see that I wasn't going to run into the curb and throttled again. Blinded again! AND my feet were being pushed off the pegs by the water -it was at least 8" high along that part of the road. So I pulled my legs up and behind me and pushed on through.

While I don't have video of the actual ride, I do have a video of me in the garage afterward that I think you'll find amusing.
https://www.facebook.com/dfhowes/posts/10157085988507347?comment_id=10157087550322347

·
Registered
71 Posts
Glad you made it back! Was caught in two bone soaking rains in the last week. Felt like I jumped in a swimming pool with all my clothes on. This last rain we had a flash flood warnings and were riding through water pouring over the roads and water ponding low areas. Had to creep through a few spots with feet up because pegs were submerged. My two buddies ahead of me got hit with a tidal wave from a passing car. The splash was up and over them to where I couldn't see them anymore. Sucks we went on a couple hundred mile ride through PA on the 4th and only had light drizzle in some areas. 10 minutes from home we get drenched.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Glad you made it back! Was caught in two bone soaking rains in the last week. Felt like I jumped in a swimming pool with all my clothes on. This last rain we had a flash flood warnings and were riding through water pouring over the roads and water ponding low areas. Had to creep through a few spots with feet up because pegs were submerged. My two buddies ahead of me got hit with a tidal wave from a passing car. The splash was up and over them to where I couldn't see them anymore. Sucks we went on a couple hundred mile ride through PA on the 4th and only had light drizzle in some areas. 10 minutes from home we get drenched.

Yup, sounds a lot like my ride - feet up, flash flooding, unable to see, fully-clothed swimming.

I forgot to mention that right after I pulled out of the deep water and was able to see, I looked in the mirror and the car behind me was right on my a$$! So obviously he couldn't see either but "**** that motorcycle, I'm plowing through!" I shudder at the thought of what if I had stalled. Damned thoughtless cagers!!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts