RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up a 2005 Warrior with about 2500 miles on it from a local dealer. The bike seems to ride great but I haven't had a Yamaha since I was a kid. In fact, save my Honda Magna, which I only had for about 6 months or so, this is the first cruiser I've had in a long time.

My question is this - When shifting into first, I seem to get a hard CLUNK as it drops in. That clutch is fully engaged and I can rev-up while in first and it's not pulling at all. All gears are a little rough getting into overall, but that might just be the way the warrior is.

Any advice? Has anyone heard this from new Warrior riders before?

I guess I could shoot a quick video and upload it so you can see what I mean. Let me know if I need to do that.

Thanks,

Rick

·
Registered
3,821 Posts
Welcome to the 4M:} I would say that the Warrior shifts gears very quietly so......

Check that the clutch is properly adjusted per the service manual or do a search here for clutch adjustment. This is the 'usual' reason for that annoying clunk. The oil level may be low or need changing as mentioned but at 2500 miles it should be good. However, to me, oil is cheap maintenance so changing it if you're not sure about it would be a good idea anyway. Don't drain the transfer case oil by mistake....don't ask how I know:}:}

If that doesn't do it get back to us:}:} I think it will take care of it though. Good luck and ride safe:}

·
Registered
670 Posts
Chances are your clutch cable is out of adjustment. Remember there are two adjustment points. A thumbwheel on the handlebar and another splined adjustment at the other end of the cable.

·
Administrator
29,923 Posts
The Warrior is a hot rod and doesn't use synchromesh because it would rip it apart. It uses a heavy 5-speed close-ratio multiplate wet clutch system. With no synchromesh it'll shift between gears differently than your old bike, or your standard trans car. You'll feel it go into gear.

When its cold, andwhen you make that first shiftwhen its warm, it'll often jump a little. Its natural. Yes, there is a spot where it's jumping too much, which is the signalto adjust your clutch cable. That art of cable adjustment isn't hard to pick-up, just go for it in while at home (not traveling) and make a few minor adjustments you'll catch on. When it needs adjusting that is (if it ain't broke don't fix it).

I've had my clutch cable so perfectly adjusted that when its warm it shifts almost silently. Then I bang the gears a few times and its back to being a little jumpy buttolerable. When it jumps with a swift loud thudding 'crack'its time to adjust the cable. Ride with some other Warriors a few times you'll get to recognize that sound

When adjusting the cable, your goal is to have the little caselever (shown below as Item 5)sweeping its full range of motion especially fully releasing all tension so the clutch plates can seat fully or they will slip. At the same time strive for about the thickness of a nickle gap between your clutch lever and the lever housing when you let go of the clutch lever. It might look better with no gap but it won't run better that way!

There's a ton of 'ink' here about how to adjust, do a search you'll find plenty of opinions and they almost all work fine.

These happen to be 2007 model year diagrams but suffice for this conversation - but ignorepart#'s assomediffer.

Note Item 15 below is the mid-point clutch cable adjustment, Item 14 is the lever end adjustment.

·
Premium Member
8,918 Posts
RicknPlano ....

The Warrior has a typical modern 5-speed motorcycle transmission that is constant mesh (all gear sets are engaged with each other at all times) and shifting is done sequentially which means there is no skipping thru the gears. The clunking is the sliding engagement dog picking up the spinning gear and is typical to this design. Especially noticeable when dropping down into 1st gear from neutral.
Here’s a recent thread by Churchkey on a related issue:Clutch Issue????? : http://rswarrior.com/forums/p/118505/955670.aspx#955670:

·
Administrator
29,923 Posts
Yes. For a more graphic idea of the differences you can use the Star parts website and look at the transmission exploded views. I know, for example, my VStar1100 and my wife's Shadow 750 shift much easier and without the 'clunk' as do most other bikes. The exploded views may (hopefully) help describe whyits normal for the Warrior's transmission. Clutch cable adjustment can minimize the 'clunk'. Once you've made a couple rounds you'll recognize when itstime to adjust your cable.

·
Registered
881 Posts
Same thing here also. Sometimes I barely hear it and other times you swear the trans is going to fall out. I tried jacking with the adjustment to no avail. It's just the nature of the beast. I do the throttle blip and it seems to work but I also found if I slowly downshift through the gears as I'm coming to the stop without letting out the clutch after every downshift it usually minimizes the clunk when I go to 1st gear. That kinda takes all the fun out of downshifting though. I love the way those Samsons sound when the motor is slowing the bike down when you drop it in a lower gear!
To bad the neighbors feel the same way!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So I ended up taking the bike to the dealership where I bought it. They said that the hard clunking is just how that bike shifts. Not fully convinced, I asked if we could fire up a brand new warrior on the floor and see if it does the same thing.

YEP

Exact same clunk. It's just normal for this type of bike, I guess.

Thanks for all of the input.

Rick

·
Registered
255 Posts
Yeah, this happens when it's cold. My Sportster is so obvious with this.There's only a little clunk after it's warm, after 3 blocks or so.

Also, unlike the Warrior, my Sporty's first gear lets you do a phatom shift. Like if you pull in the clutch and try to shift to first, when you are already in first, it'll still go forward.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts