RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys here my problem. I have just changed my oil two days ago. I went back with the Lucas 20w-50 synthetic oil. Since then I went riding today and noticed I am having a hard time shifting gears and getting into neutral at a stoplight well that is a bear. I have also adjusted my clutch cable. I don't know if I have causedthis by adjusting the cable or if the oil has something to do with it. Any help would be awesome.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Did adjusting the cable do anything? good or bad? how old is your cable? could be stretched to the limit. Oil should not make it hard to shift.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Clutch cable should fix it.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Your Tranny oil is separate from your engine oil, reddish in color. I hope you did not drain it and forget to refill. Just a thought!

·
Registered
6,312 Posts
Mike Panczyszyn said:
Your Tranny oil is separate from your engine oil, reddish in color. I hope you did not drain it and forget to refill. Just a thought!

UUUUUUUUUNo

Your transmission and engine oil are the same. I think you mean transfer case oil which is an entirely different thing than a transmission...

Adjust your clutch cable. If it is still hard to get into neutral adjust it again.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Na I do actually know the difference between the engine oil and gear oil. I adjusted the clutch cable and that made it easier to go into neutral. I will adjust a little more and see.The other thing is when I go to first at a stand still it is loud and hard when it goes in gear.

·
Registered
4,835 Posts
Shifting into 1st gear from neutral, when at a standstill always produces a loud clunk. Tis the nature of the beast.

·
Premium Member
2,916 Posts
I seriously doubt it's the oil. I did notice however that when I used conventional oil the bike shifted smoother when the oil was brand new and fresh. It didn't ake long for the shifting to go downhill fast. I've been using Amsoil and I've had zero problems for the past 1-1/2 years. I'm not saying that Amsoil is the answer. I'm just saying that a high quality oil has made a difference in my shifting.

·
Premium Member
2,988 Posts
Dice said:
Shifting into 1st gear from neutral, when at a standstill always produces a loud clunk. Tis the nature of the beast.

+2.. Even more when clutch cable is not adjusted right...

My opinion is that your cable is too loose... try taking up some slack... But not too much as to make you clutch no be engaged fully whe lever is released...

If not adjusted right, when you pull on the lever fully the clutch is actually partly engaged... making it hard to find neutral and a harsher neutral to first shift...

·
Registered
670 Posts
Mike Panczyszyn said:

What? I'm sorry but your wrong. The engine oil lubricates both the engine and the transmission componets. The red oil you are talking about is for the transfer case, which basically just lubricates a chain. The transfer case has nothing to do with shifting.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Might have nothing to do with anything but I changed my oil today to amsoil and have noticed that it is shifting a littlesmoother into neutral and first.

·
Premium Member
2,916 Posts
+1

highdesert said:
Might have nothing to do with anything but I changed my oil today to amsoil and have noticed that it is shifting a littlesmoother into neutral and first.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hey fella's thanks alot it was in the cable I had it adjusted too tight. I adjusted it and it is so smooth shifting. All I left to do is lube up the cable. thanks to everyone.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts