RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever really tried to do a comprehensive FAQ especially on the assortment of options of various mods, plus links to posts for all the various DIY projects?

I mean, all we seem to do is tell the new Warrior owners to use hte search when it would be a lot better to give them a quick link to a solid FAQ.

Have I just missed ths in the nearly three years I have been posting?

JT

·
Administrator
28,419 Posts
JT, you've suggested a lofty goal. I suppose if someone had the time and inclination to develop a written framework there's plenty of members who would help by suggesting written instructions (some with jpg's) for particular mods. How would that framework take shape? There are so many possible mods for each component. Plus manufacturer's put new custom parts out there every month. The animal is too big to wrangle unless someone works at it full time.

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
quote:Originally posted by ArizonaWarrior

JT, you've suggested a lofty goal. I suppose if someone had the time and inclination to develop a written framework there's plenty of members who would help by suggesting written instructions (some with jpg's) for particular mods. How would that framework take shape? There are so many possible mods for each component. Plus manufacturer's put new custom parts out there every month. The animal is too big to wrangle unless someone works at it full time.

Take into account personal taste, so many would want to show and tell their version of what was someone elses original idea that in the end we would have a forum [/emoticons/emotion-2.gif][/emoticons/emotion-3.gif)]

·
Registered
598 Posts
quote:Originally posted by ArizonaWarrior

I think it would be a step in the right direction if we at least pushed a little more to keep people posting queries, instructions, and discussions in the proper forums. I suppose it's a difficult thing to enforce with so much post traffic and so few mods to manage it.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I think it is quite possible to develop an area like this. It would work mainly on mods that are limited in how you can properly do them. For example, I don't think anyone would disagree that Frankenstein's perfect PCIII install is the way to go. Or, short but sweet, 2-1 pipes make more power than 2-2. Not everyone seems to know this. It could be put to a vote on what method would work best for each mod and then locked into the FAQ section.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
I agree it would be benificial to have a generalized facts section with a few pictures and/or an online version of a shop manual to eliminate the basic questions. Perhaps a section with basic information, with instructions for AIS block offs, idle adjustments, oil changes, removing wheels, and so on. That would at least help with the repetitive posts that we see everyday.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
More simply put, with not as much re-construction & maintenance on this 4UM, would be if members that are posting mods would simply include the component name in the subject title (i.e. Triple Tree mod, R1 Fork mod, Right Side Cover mod, Lowering Kit Mod... etc.)

Then a newbie, or even and old-timer looking for a mod could simply USE THE SEARCH, the way Carknee intended, and just change the Search In: field to Subject Only. This would eliminate allot of sifting through opinions and dialog that doesn't contain the actual mods.

PLUS... then moderators would have an easier time repositioning threads to the proper topic headings.
We have the tools already! The 4UM's populous just needs to use it more effectively...

IMHO

[^]

·
Registered
4,864 Posts
This was what the FAQ forum was meant for, but it just turned into one big mess. The moderators and I are all for an organized site, but when most members don't care it is impossible to control.

With v.next of the site a Knowledge Base might (big might) be in the works.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
I am an offender here, but this was nice to read. Maybe during the initial sign up there could be a few must read things...maybe there is and I don't remember. Most of us newbies learn to use the search and appropriately name our posts, it just takes some longer than others!! /emoticons/emotion-5.gif

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
well here is the downfall of such a great site, to much information /emoticons/emotion-4.gif

I've also found that using the "Subject Only" option helps at times but it can be dawnting at times searching for answers. For the most part if you've tried a search and can't easily find an answer a post can help. You may get some flak about the "use the search" etc but for the most part someone will answer pretty fast (or at least direct you to a thread and you can then search and see how that person found the thread)

I think at this point a "comprehensive" FAQ would almost be impossible because there realy is just so much information... hats off to anyone that does it though, I'll double my donation for next year if you get it going though Carknee /emoticons/emotion-5.gif

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hmmm...

Well, I may give an outline a shot. Thats the first hard part. If there are a bunch of guys who could help look up good links and pics it would help flesh it out, but even short paragraphs introducing the topics to new owners would be greatly helpful.

I'll see what I can come up with in the next few days.

JT

·
Registered
861 Posts
Excellent suggestion, I agree [^]quote:Originally posted by Snyper39

More simply put, with not as much re-construction & maintenance on this 4UM, would be if members that are posting mods would simply include the component name in the subject title (i.e. Triple Tree mod, R1 Fork mod, Right Side Cover mod, Lowering Kit Mod... etc.)

Then a newbie, or even and old-timer looking for a mod could simply USE THE SEARCH, the way Carknee intended, and just change the Search In: field to Subject Only. This would eliminate allot of sifting through opinions and dialog that doesn't contain the actual mods.

PLUS... then moderators would have an easier time repositioning threads to the proper topic headings.
We have the tools already! The 4UM's populous just needs to use it more effectively...

IMHO

[^]

·
Registered
456 Posts
A potential example...

http://www.sloneservices.com/SilverBack/VStar1100-FAQ.htm

Seems fairly well organized...

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
quote:Originally posted by Hi-C

A potential example...

http://www.sloneservices.com/SilverBack/VStar1100-FAQ.htm

Seems fairly well organized...

Hi-C: Thats a great knowledge base, but probably beyond what we can realistically do until Carknee decides what happens next for Forum Tech.

Here is a swag at something a little (a lot?) less ambitious:

RSWARRIOR FAQ OUTLINE

1. General Info
.....a. Specifications
.....b. Owners Manual
.....c. Model Changes by year
..........i. 2002
..........ii. 2003
..........iii. 2004
..........iv. 2005
..........v. 2006
..........vi. 2007
.....d. Recalls
..........i. Transmission
..........ii. TPS
..........iii. CPS
2. Aesthetics
.....a. Chrome
.....b. Paint
.....c. Trick Mods
3. Ergonomics
.....a. Controls
..........i. Forward controls
..........ii. Rear sets
..........iii. Extensions
..........iv. Floorboards
.....b. Handlebars
..........i. T-bars
..........ii. Risers
.....c. Windscreens
..........i. Shields
..........ii. Fairings
.....d. Seats
..........i. Modified Stock
..........ii. Aftermarket
4. Suspension
.....a. Front forks
..........i. R1 Forks
..........ii. Springs
.....b. Rear Suspension
..........i. Springs
..........ii. Shocks
..........iii. Air Suspension
.....c. Raking
..........i. Triple Trees
..........ii. Raked Frame
5. Wheels & Tires
.....a. Tires
.....b. Front Wheel
..........i. Tire sizes
..........ii. Chromed Stock
..........iii. 19” and 21” Wheels
.....c. Rear Wheel
..........i. Tire Sizes
..........ii. Chromed Stock
..........iii. Modified Wheel and Swing Arms
..........iv. Single Sided Swing Arms
6. Performance
.....a. Engine
..........i. High Compression Pistons
..........ii. Increased Displacement
..........iii. Heads & Valves
..........iv. Cams
..........v. Adjustments
.....b. Intakes
..........i. Air Filters
..........ii. Big Air Kits
..........iii. Velocity Stacks
.....c. Exhausts
..........i. 2-1 pipes
..........ii. 2-2 pipes
..........iii. Stock modified
..........iv. Slip-Ons
.....d. Fuel Management
..........i. Power Commander III
7. Maintenance
.....a. Guides
.....b. Torque Values

Comments?

·
Registered
5,354 Posts
quote:Originally posted by CarKnee

This was what the FAQ forum was meant for, but it just turned into one big mess. The moderators and I are all for an organized site, but when most members don't care it is impossible to control.

With v.next of the site a Knowledge Base might (big might) be in the works.

Well there you go. From the man himself....[/emoticons/emotion-2.gif]

·
Registered
4,527 Posts
one word WIKI. This is working all over the internet. It's easy to configure and user maintainable. Unless we are as a group, stupider than the rest of the internet.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
quote:Originally posted by Washingtonwarrior

one word WIKI. This is working all over the internet. It's easy to configure and user maintainable. Unless we are as a group, stupider than the rest of the internet.

Care to volunteer? /emoticons/emotion-4.gif

Seriously, I have never realyl done anything with Wiki, but it sounds interesting...

Any links on tutorials?

JT

·
Registered
4,527 Posts
I might be interested but I'd probably have to set it up elsewhere just for convenience sake. Doing that may make it unused unless perhaps a direct link from rswarrior could be arranged.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts