RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you ever look on craigslist in your area, and go to the motorcycle category, and look at all the Harley's that are always for sale....why is that 'ya reckon...

·
Registered
510 Posts
Do you really have to ask that or are you just making a point?

MY take on it. 1. wannabes decided to be real men and bought a warrior instead. 2. finally decided that buying friends isnt worth 20k. 3. they realized they are actually little girls and bought an easy bake oven instead.

·
Registered
4,413 Posts
Thundermutt said:
Do you ever look on craigslist in your area, and go to the motorcycle category, and look at all the Harley's that are always for sale....why is that 'ya reckon...
Doh!!! Homer Simpson moment. I could have twice the bike for half the price. Especially in this economy. People that got in over their heads are dumping their "luxuries" and paying off their debts.

How's your build and paint coming??

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am off work early today...gonna take it outside and wash the dust and funk off of her...try to take some pics.. it's amazing how that double handful of chrome and plating being black makes such bigdifference!!!!

it just looks plain evil now

·
Registered
861 Posts
My question is, why do so many of them say"fresh rebuild"? Its almost as if they are junk or something. Seriously though, I like Harleys and some day when I have money to burn, i will own one. But until then I am going to enjoy my bike that doesn't need a bike diaper!!

·
Registered
370 Posts
I argued the "higher resale" issue with my cousin when I bought my bike last May. He bought an 06 Sportster Custom with bags, windshield and some chrome for $6500 off Craigslist. I bought an 02 Warrior with custom paint, pipes and bars off Craigslist for $7000. Both bikes listed originally for somewhere close to 12k and yet his is 4 years newer than mine and worth less. He kept saying it wasan investment and I kept telling him that he was crazy.

·
Registered
3,582 Posts
or it could be that

*more Harleys are sold than metrics?

*not to many old metrics are sold or around for 10 or more years, and HDs people tend to take care of their bikes better

*Economy

as for the rebuilt...it is by far cheaper and easier to maintain (if there is a problem) a HD than the metrics....

/oh sheet..i am sounding like a HD fanboy......

//maybe it was because this was a stupid topic to begin with

·
Registered
3,582 Posts
imevh2 said:
I argued the "higher resale" issue with my cousin when I bought my bike last May. He bought an 06 Sportster Custom with bags, windshield and some chrome for $6500 off Craigslist. I bought an 02 Warrior with custom paint, pipes and bars off Craigslist for $7000. Both bikes listed originally for somewhere close to 12k and yet his is 4 years newer than mine and worth less. He kept saying it wasan investment and I kept telling him that he was crazy.

first..it was a Sporty....

second bikes are NEVER an investment....except for the 85 FXRS that i had that i paid 4k for and sold for 12K when the market was great.

also the higher resale is sorta a myth in some instances. you go find a 10 year old honda or yamaha and look at resales, then compare it to HDs of the same year range...you will do much better on the HD..

My 13 year old HD would still net 15k if i sold it today........(and i didnt even pay that much for it)

·
Registered
921 Posts
imevh2 said:

Investment...lol! Sounds like he'sjust trying to justify his purchase to you.

People buy things for many different reasons, maybe he really likes your Warrior but just wanted thename recognition of his HD? Who knows....just enjoy what you have, that's the only measure of it's true worth.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
HD-Slopoke said:
imevh2 said:

first..it was a Sporty....

second bikes are NEVER an investment....except for the 85 FXRS that i had that i paid 4k for and sold for 12K when the market was great.

also the higher resale is sorta a myth in some instances. you go find a 10 year old honda or yamaha and look at resales, then compare it to HDs of the same year range...you will do much better on the HD..

My 13 year old HD would still net 15k if i sold it today........(and i didnt even pay that much for it)
My Warrior has lost almost 1/3 of its value from when I bought it (2003) with close to $1500.00 invested in parts. My Harley (1999 Dresser) is still worth more than I paid for it with $500.00 invested in parts.

I still figure that all discussions like these are just to make some people feel better about not being able to afford a Harley. As long as you are riding, does it really matter what you are on?

·
Registered
370 Posts
Hmmm. Then why aren't you seeing mass Victory's on Craigslist? People knock OCC and WCC for overpriced bikes that are simply a name but Harley holds the patent on that idea.

If you look long enough, someone will come along that wants what you got and doesn't care what it cost. When harleys were on back order and yuppies decided to be bikers, false demand raised the prices.

I like a few harley models, but call a spade a spade. Overpriced? Yes. Reliable? No.

If you compared a harley of yesteryear to a metric of the same year you're probably right, but the metric will be original and the harley will have been rebuilt at least once. And the metric wouldn't have cost as much to begin with.

I'm not promoting metrics as the end all to bikes. I'm just tired of harley's being touted as the greatest thing on two wheels. If you're going to have one long term you're going to have to spend money on it or you're not going to be riding it.

·
Registered
3,582 Posts
imevh2 said:
Hmmm. Then why aren't you seeing mass Victory's on Craigslist? People knock OCC and WCC for overpriced bikes that are simply a name but Harley holds the patent on that idea. A Buttload of Victories in the DFW section of craigslist. And yes HD does hold a patent for expensive crap

If you look long enough, someone will come along that wants what you got and doesn't care what it cost. When harleys were on back order and yuppies decided to be bikers, false demand raised the prices. How i sold my FXRS for alot more than i paid for it

I like a few harley models, but call a spade a spade. Overpriced? Yes. Reliable? No. yup....overpriced.....reliable in this day and age is fairly good. my 13 year old bike is extremely reliable...save for a little HD drip of oil...just slow..and crappy brakes....

If you compared a harley of yesteryear to a metric of the same year you're probably right, but the metric will be original and the harley will have been rebuilt at least once. And the metric wouldn't have cost as much to begin with. agree, and depending on the year, the metric would have probably been rebuilt... obvious factors play into this...age, how many miles ridden, good maintenance,and so forth

I'm not promoting metrics as the end all to bikes. I'm just tired of harley's being touted as the greatest thing on two wheels. If you're going to have one long term you're going to have to spend money on it or you're not going to be riding it. agree, but HD marketed their bikes in a way that not even the Metrics will ever be able to compete. how many yamaha tattoos have you seen? As for spending money long term, again a 13 year old bike, runs as good as new, it will cost me the same a year to maintain as my Warrior would have....(save for that stupid leak that will only cost me 300 dollars for the chrome shiney part-same part would ahve cost me alot more thru yamaha)..oh and i have put 4000 miles in the 3 months i have had it....

·
Registered
692 Posts
Thundermutt said:

I think alot of it has to do with people buying into the Harley Lifestyle. I mean imagine going out and dropping $20K+ on your very first motorcycle, and realizing after a few rides that 1) maybe you don't like riding bikes as much as you thought you would2)people in cars really do drive like *** and it's just not worth the riskor 3) deciding that your $300+ dollar a month payment could be better used elsewhere. Sure your gonna sell it. Based on what I see on the street HD has a pretty big market share so it makes sense that their are lots of used HD's for sale.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I think you nailed it there...it is an honest question...I am not dishing anyone who rides...we are all brothers of a sort...it is just here in Atlanta I have been keeping an eye out for a friend who wants to start riding...so I have been watching craigslist and cycle trader to find something I can teach him on that will not be a big cost at the onset...I just see lots and lots of Harleys for sale here in north GA.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Not to thrash a dead horse, but as someone else said, if it's got 2 wheels and handlebars ride it. My main point would be when I bought my bike, I looked for8 months. I rode bikes, I asked questions, and shopped prices.I narrowed down my choices one by one. My cousin and a bunch of other people just went out and bought without even riding the **** thing and then come to find out........................they didn't like it or had a big time case of buyers remorse. My cousin didn't even put 250 miles on his bike last year. To me a "Harley" rider is someone who thinks more of his bike than most anything else in life besides possibly his kids and would spend any amount of money at the drop of a hat to fix or dress up the bike. They're brand loyal and didn't decide to buy a bike because they're going through a mid life crisis or just got divorced and needed to feel young again.It's not so much bike ownership to them as it is a relationship.

·
Registered
187 Posts
+1 for everyone....

My friend got into a bike, yea. barely has 400 on it. and i put almost 4000. he barely used it, and now after the few miles. wants to rack up and get a bigger one. Yes his is a vstar650 great gas mileage, but not a ton of power... he keeps him and hawing abouta bigger biek... w/e friend.... do waht you want!

·
Registered
4,957 Posts
Pretty much prolly cuz there are about 500 Harleys out there for every Warrior.
Disclaimer, enjoying my Harley much more than my previous 2 Warriors. Other than the discontinued Street Rod (the only one I like) you aren't going to find many IF ANY new bikes on a Harley dealer floor that are more than 1 year from the current production year. I bet you could find numerous Warriors NEW and unsold of various years around the country and way way under MSRP.yet still sitting there.

I know, it used to bug me too, I would look thru the listings on Ebay and see all those stoopid HD's with actual bids for ridiculous amounts ....... and the Warriors listed and sitting there w/ zero bids. Bummer.

Go visit Ebay motors right now.
18 Yamaha Warriors listed, just a very few lo-ball bids. Even a BRAND NEW 2007 with a buy-it-now for $8399. Ouch for resale on used ones.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Hahahahaha, the Harley riders are coming out of the woodwork to justify their purchase it seems

BTW, over 80K plus miles between my last 2 Police Road Kings and my Street Glide and none of them have ever seen the inside of a dealership for any type of repair. My Harley's have all been extremely reliable. My last 2 Warriors both left me stranded with CPS issues(among other things), one of those 2 times. Carry on with the Harley bashing though.

·
Registered
5,211 Posts
Where's Shag? Should he be reading this BS also.

I like the way my Warrior looks, rides, & sounds. That doesn't mean I like anyone elses. I've seen some stupidthings on this site when it come to Warriors. I've seen alot of ugly $hit too. My bike is my personality, not a brand name.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts