RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You may have seen a recent post about me snapping my belt...Well, after being stranded for several hours in the dead of night I found and purchased this kit. It is a Harley Davidson Emergency Final drive belt kit. Essentially it contains a belt with the same specs as ours (130 tooth, 14mm pitch, 1 1/8" wide), 15 allenhead screws (you really need only 12, 3 are spares), and several allan head wrenches.

Basically, this belt can be installed on the spot without having to take off the front pulley cover, swingarm, or rear wheel. It is an open-ended belt that is secured via 12 allen head screws joining a "v" type union. It is meant as an emergency temporary belt to get you home or to the nearest dealer within 200 miles.

I would think this is a good thing to have when going on a long trip or just to have around the house so someone can drive it out to you if you are not too far away from home. Sure beats having to wait several hours in the dead of night in nowheresville and having to go thru the hassle and expense of towing...

anyways, I got it from an HD dealer on the net but they took a week to ship and their service was crappy. I asked them about doing a group buy for us and they were not interested.

You can find these kits on ebay as well for about $110. HD part # 40171-97 for '94 and up Dyna and Softail models, 130 tooth, 14mm pitch, 1-1/8" wide

·
Registered
742 Posts
Thatis awesome! I think I will pick up one of those! I spend so much time beating on my bike that I figure mine is bound to break anytime. Nice find!

·
Registered
255 Posts
I bought parts my Harely parts from Zanotti Motors. I'm new to Harleys (I have a Sportster and a Warrior) so I found them out in their forums. The nearest Harley dealer is a hike here and their prices are hard to beat. The catch is you need the part number and you have to payfor return shipping. They have gotten back to me very quickly by emails and refunds are not a hassle otherwise.

https://www.zanottimotor.com/shopping/partLookUp.html

or

http://www.latus-harley-davidson.com/Belts-956-plist.html

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
There is another one left, for $109.95. Try the best offer at $99.95, it should work instantly like it did for the other one I got. It is way cheaper then the HD dealer, not to mention that I'm sure to have one on hand.

·
Premium Member
5,858 Posts
TECKquestion...lol....will that emergency belt fit a 2002 and 2003 as we take 1.5in belts i believe, and 04 up to 09 take 1+1eighth in belts..jools and i are wondering if to take it to europe or not, for 22ndjuly...would we get it in time even? ...seems like a neat idea for sure is 200 miles it's real limit ...or could we take it off and reuse at a later date?? - cheers tom

·
Premium Member
5,858 Posts
just to say i received a fast pm from Teck
...as this emergency belt only fits 04+ we're out of luck..but hey we didn't get to waste our time and money as Teck was good enough to come back....cheers Teck

·
Registered
151 Posts
i broke my belt two days ago and i wish i had one of those when it happened that some one could have brought out to me

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
tomba said:
just to say i received a fast pm from Teck
...as this emergency belt only fits 04+ we're out of luck..but hey we didn't get to waste our time and money as Teck was good enough to come back....cheers Teck
The belt fits any Warrior that has a 1 1/8" pulley. The stock specs are common for all years:

130 tooth, 14mm pitch, 1 1/8" wide

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Does Anybody know a second supplier of these belts, and one that is willing to ship to Australia.

I broke my belt last Friday after 61200 Km

I replaced it with a 'S&S and Gates' one because the Yamaha branded ones are $720 Au$ here.

But just the part of being stuck really piXXes me, so would like to acquire a 'home bringer'

Any Suggestions appreciated

Dutch

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
glad I found this thread. thanks for sharing

-someone who does A LOT of road trips
If you find somewhere they are still available please let us know. I've been casually looking for one for a while now, but they don't seem to have them anywhere.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Very hard to find item.
I purchased one 4-5 years ago, and had to get it from Ireland.
It did help me on with my second warrior, but they are a PITA to install.

Milkman was looking at making one, but do not know how he went.

Size is very small, approx 5" when rolled up, also have a small bag of pins and an allen key. Have it with me when I go on tour, not for myself as I have a different pulley range now, but for others.

Dutch :cool:

·
Administrator
28,388 Posts
I carry one also but its really made to get to a repair shop maybe not home from a trip. My first choice would be AAA MC towing and the pita belt is there as a last resort. It frees me to range wider at any time with more peace of mind. But I give plenty of effort to correct belt alignment and tension strictly in accordance with the service manual. Been lucky so far.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts