RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a postcard from HD to day saying the XR1200 will be coming to the U.S! Out of respect for the XR750, only 750 will be available. Pre-sales from 12/1-12/15/08....

Anyone else know more?

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
sml-2727 said:
Yeah I got one of those today also, im sure it will be like all other harleys it will be way overpriced.

If by "overpriced" you mean less than the current top of the line Sportster or entry level big twin(Dyna Superglide) and less than some import models like the Warrior, then yes it will be overpriced. According to Motorcycle Daily the price will be between $10,799 and $11,179 depending on color choice and destination type(Cali emmisions).http://www.motorcycledaily.com/24november08_hd_xr1200.htm

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
fastby250cc said:
07midnite said:
Hey, isn't a Sportster a chick/beginner bike?

No you are thinking of a Softtail Deluxe. A Sportster is the only true motorcycle HD makes any more (excluding MV and Buell)!

No, I actually knew the answer before I asked it. Yes, the Sportster is the bottom of the line chick/beginner bike. Price starts at $6999 and up and is the lowest priced HD made. Although this new XR1200 is a better model, it's still a Sportster and is still the low end line of Harley Davidson. Wow, if the Sportster is the only "true" motorcycle HD makes anymore (excluding MV & Buell), then that doesn't say much about HD.

By the way, Softtail Deluxe starts @ $17,449.

100% chance of more
on this parade.

·
Registered
727 Posts
07midnite said:
Yes, the Sportster is the bottom of the line chick/beginner bike.

Careful, you are starting to sound like the mindless lemmings that buy HD (not to say that all HD buyers are mindless lemmings)... I am sad to say that I have raced one particular 883 that had no trouble kicking my @ss.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
fastby250cc said:
07midnite said:

Careful, you are starting to sound like the mindless lemmings that buy HD (not to say that all HD buyers are mindless lemmings)... I am sad to say that I have raced one particular 883 that had no trouble kicking my @ss.

Naw, I just know a little about HD's. My comment about the Sportster line was just a fact. Some Sportster owners my be offended but it doesn't change the fact that it is an entry level HD. My wife even knows this and would rather own a V-Star 1100 before a Sportster of any kind.

You got beat by an 883? I smoked an 883 on my first stock Road Star 1600, years ago. The Warrior makes quick work of an 883 as my Warrior is much quicker than the 2001 R*. A stock 883 produces roughly 55 horsepower and 53 ft. lbs. torque. That is almost 30 horsepower less than a stock Warrior. The 1200 Spotster makes roughlt 68-70 Hp's. Still roughly 10 HP's lower than our Warriors and even less torque.

·
Registered
727 Posts
07midnite said:
fastby250cc said:
07midnite said:

Naw, I just know a little about HD's. My comment about the Sportster line was just a fact. Some Sportster owners my be offended but it doesn't change the fact that it is an entry level HD. My wife even knows this and would rather own a V-Star 1100 before a Sportster of any kind.

You got beat by an 883? I smoked an 883 on my first stock Road Star 1600, years ago. The Warrior makes quick work of an 883 as my Warrior is much quicker than the 2001 R*. A stock 883 produces roughly 55 horsepower and 53 ft. lbs. torque. That is almost 30 horsepower less than a stock Warrior. The 1200 Spotster makes roughlt 68-70 Hp's. Still roughly 10 HP's lower than our Warriors and even less torque.

I think the problem is you only know a little about HD. Please don't get the idea I am one of these closet HD lovers who bought a Warrior... I pretty much would rather WALK than ride HD. That being said your perception, not fact of the Sportster being a chick or entry level bike is dead wrong. HD dealers paint it that way because they are more into marketing than engineering. If the Sporty is so entry level why is the engine used in a Buell? As for you wife, if I were faced with getting a Sporty or a V-Star, I too might go with the V-Star unless the Sporty was this XR!

As for getting beat by an 883 - it was not stock. It was a former world record drag bike. The race would have been closer if I shed about 100lbs, but for being half the size of my bike it was impressive.

Also- there are a lot more 8 and 9 second Sporters than there are Warriors. Look at the times the AHDRA Super Sport bikes are running - even they are in the 10s!

·
Registered
3,582 Posts
Beh....the Sporty IS the starting point and cheapest made HD. I wouldnt go as far as saying they are a chick bike though (maybe the 883)....but a starter bike, that is a definite YES.

And Yes they can be made fast, **** anything can be.

Even with this new model, who cares, still a sporty with a different paint scheme........and we all know the HD dealers will mark upthe snot out of them....

you couldnt pay me to ride one, let alone buy one.....shoot even the HD guys dont even look at the sporties as "family" unles you are talking 70's models

oh and 07midnight, a big +1000 on all your posts.....

·
Registered
146 Posts
This is not just a sportster.... ie. updated suspension, new swingarm, and wears some new "plastic" as well.... And yes the 883 is a little light on torque but the 1200 gets by ok...

Man everyone on here must me too young to remember the XR750 of the 60's

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Slopoke said:
Even with this new model, who cares, still a sporty with a different paint scheme.

That will spank most any Warrior in a drag race and through the twisties. Yep, just another Sportster, hahahahahahahaha.

·
Registered
3,582 Posts
madav8tr said:
Slopoke said:
Even with this new model, who cares, still a sporty with a different paint scheme.

That will spank most any Warrior in a drag race and through the twisties. Yep, just another Sportster, hahahahahahahaha.

and that may be true, but seeing that the Sporties have always been quick (persay) and have always been nimble......

"spank" though? top speed 122, 12.42 @ 106.41in the 1/4? thats a spanking?

again, you wont see the average HD rider buying one (but that isnt the demographic they are hitting), they are not geared to the "flock" besides they are only making 750....how many are going to europe? will any of us actually see one aside from a bike show? CW states that 600 are already accounted for.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
fastby250cc said:
07midnite said:
fastby250cc said:
07midnite said:

I think the problem is you only know a little about HD. Please don't get the idea I am one of these closet HD lovers who bought a Warrior... I pretty much would rather WALK than ride HD. That being said your perception, not fact of the Sportster being a chick or entry level bike is dead wrong. HD dealers paint it that way because they are more into marketing than engineering. If the Sporty is so entry level why is the engine used in a Buell? As for you wife, if I were faced with getting a Sporty or a V-Star, I too might go with the V-Star unless the Sporty was this XR!

As for getting beat by an 883 - it was not stock. It was a former world record drag bike. The race would have been closer if I shed about 100lbs, but for being half the size of my bike it was impressive.

Also- there are a lot more 8 and 9 second Sporters than there are Warriors. Look at the times the AHDRA Super Sport bikes are running - even they are in the 10s!

C'mon dude, you didn't say it was a freaking drag bike. It seems that Slopoke and myself DO know quite a bit about the Sporties as everyone, dealers included, agree that Sportsters are beginner bikes. About a week before I met my wife for the first time she went to the local HD shop, Mancuso HD in Houston. She hadn'tlearned to ride yet but was interested inbuying a new bike. Knowing this, the very first bike the salesman showed her was an 883 Sportster. My wife is 5'10" and sat on it because the bonehead salesguy was so persitant and said it was "the perfect bike to learn on".

As for that bike that whooped up on you, being it was a former world record holder I would almost guarantee that it wasn't an 883 either. It had probably been bored out and hopped up in the heads, pistons, cams, carbs, fuel pump, etc......... By saying that Sporsters are fast because you got beat by one implies that ALL Sportsters are quick which they most definitely are not. You got beat by a drag bike, not a typical Sportster. I went to the drag races last year and saw a jet powered Camaro and it was very fast. I don't think it actually qualifies as a Camaro though and it doesn't mean that Camaro's are fast, just that one.

And for the Buells, I raced a buddy of mine a few years ago with my 2001 bone stock R* 1600. He was on a Buell, I'm not sure what model it was but the motor was a 1200cc unit. We raced from light to light and we were kneck and kneck through 3rd gear. In 4th he slowly started pulling away. I was shocked that I stayed with him so long because I thought Buells were supposed to be real fast. They may be at top end but not off the line.

·
Registered
691 Posts
07midnite said:
C'mon dude, you didn't say it was a freaking drag bike. It seems that Slopoke and myself DO know quite a bit about the Sporties as everyone, dealers included, agree that Sportsters are beginner bikes. About a week before I met my wife for the first time she went to the local HD shop, Mancuso HD in Houston. She hadn'tlearned to ride yet but was interested inbuying a new bike. Knowing this, the very first bike the salesman showed her was an 883 Sportster. My wife is 5'10" and sat on it because the bonehead salesguy was so persitant and said it was "the perfect bike to learn on".

As for that bike that whooped up on you, being it was a former world record holder I would almost guarantee that it wasn't an 883 either. It had probably been bored out and hopped up in the heads, pistons, cams, carbs, fuel pump, etc......... By saying that Sporsters are fast because you got beat by one implies that ALL Sportsters are quick which they most definitely are not. You got beat by a drag bike, not a typical Sportster. I went to the drag races last year and saw a jet powered Camaro and it was very fast. I don't think it actually qualifies as a Camaro though and it doesn't mean that Camaro's are fast, just that one.

And for the Buells, I raced a buddy of mine a few years ago with my 2001 bone stock R* 1600. He was on a Buell, I'm not sure what model it was but the motor was a 1200cc unit. We raced from light to light and we were kneck and kneck through 3rd gear. In 4th he slowly started pulling away. I was shocked that I stayed with him so long because I thought Buells were supposed to be real fast. They may be at top end but not off the line.

Again you prove my point - the dealers market the Sportster as a chick and or beginner bike and you are naive enough to believe it.

The bike I raced was a super stock 883, it will try and find the link - but is certified as an 883. I am not saying all Sportsters are fast, I am trying to prove a point that the guys who have made them fast versus another HD model... Odd that they would choose a beginner bike to race - wonder why they do that? You sound like those guys who tell me that a 600cc Sport Bike is also a beginner bike.

As for your Buell story, I am calling Bullsh!t... we also have a R* and it was even built by Jeff Palhegyi... there is NO WAY that turd would ever come close to keeping up with a Buell. Your buddy either cannot ride or needs to remove his foot from the rear brake.

I remeber the XR 750 - I remember how when Bubba Shobert kicked their @ss HD got the rules changed and made the Honda non-competitive... but who cares, this bike is easy on the eyes. If the chance comes along, I may have to pull the trigger and pick one of these up - unless I get the new BMW K 1300S first...

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
My story about keeping up with a Buell through third gear is fact and not BS. Call it what you like but you weren't there to witness it. I probably am a better rider than he was is though so point taken on that aspect.

AND, if HD markets their Sportsters as entry level bikes then that is what they are, entry level bikes. I guess you know more about HD marketing than they do, right? HA!

As for your comment about "odd that they would race a beginner bike". Wake up, people race EVERYTHING; small cars, boats, planes, bikes, anything! I think it's odd that people choose to race those little 4 banger Toyota Corolla's in the 1/4 mile but people have modified them with all kinds of gizmo's and they are actually very quick. They are still low end, entry level Toyota's.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts