RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Administrator
28,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the mountains of Oregon, and also northern Nevada, some people with LED headlights claim in cold damp weather (but above freezing) they have had ice coat the headlight lens obscuring illumination.

An H4 burns warm enough to melt it, a fact we all personally know lol. I've ridden in very cold dry weather, heck most of us have. I've been on Oregon freeways at midnight in cold thick rain, the H4 was fine.

Has anyone running an LED headlight had it obscure from ice buildup?

It sounds silly to me. But figured why not have some fun with this!!

·
Administrator
28,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well there it is, I know they run cooler but did not think the glass would be enough cooler even with wind chill. I thought what little heat there is would sluff-off and actual ice. Guess not!

These days I don't have to ride when its cold so I mostly don't, especially not in the dark. I guess maybe its good. I would have been in a bind in the dark. Wild stuff. Thanks for posting it!

·
Registered
940 Posts
In the mountains of Oregon, and also northern Nevada, some people with LED headlights claim in cold damp weather (but above freezing) they have had ice coat the headlight lens obscuring illumination.
!
If the temperature is above freezing how on Earth would moisture actually freeze? And don't say wind chill.

But, i had LED headlights on my old Jetta and my Sierra and I can attest that they don't melt the ice off nearly as quick in the morning and I've also had them ice over a little during particularly heavy snow.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
28,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mountain roads. Sometimes I leave home its 33F and inside a few minutes its dipped a few. The moist air is still there it doesn't all freeze and fall instantly. And every sweeper might go up or down and F changes. Its mile high mountains!

I see how my wind chill comment is ill-chosen. I intended to convey that a vehicle moving forward and passing thru cooler air is cooled in comparison to what its temperature would be if heat were not blown away. So if F drops to freezing an H4 provides lens warmth but LED not so much. I realize I should have typed-it-out in the first place. Not wind chill but wind cooling to an ambient that drops below freezing while blasting.

Haha btw I was tempted to open with "wind chill wind chill wind chill" but decided not to!!!

·
Registered
366 Posts
I assumed a certain trolling)) The previous photo is funny, but it does not characterize the whole picture. Here is for comparison and understanding.

We rode together. The ambient temperature was around zero Celsius (33 Fahrenheit). After an hour of travel, my headlight had a crust of snow, not ice. A friend whose motorcycle is visible in the background has a halogen lamp of approximately the same power as in warrior. He had neither ice nor snow.

But this is my situation for the first time. At this temperature, I try not to drive, because the quality of the tires is badly affected. But still I had to ride at this temperature. And far away. But then there was no wet snow. And this time the jackpot: the temperature is low, the snow is wet and my lamp is LED. It's good that I rode during the day.

·
Registered
940 Posts
Yes a little bit of trolling of AZ.
Looks like a miserable ride.
A cold ride is bad a wet ride is worse but a cold wet ride it's just **** on two wheels.
I had to ride about an hour through a mountain valley fog with the temperature in the mid-30s and when I stopped at the next town to get a cup of coffee my legs had gotten so cold I almost couldn't hold the bike up my legs had nearly gone numb.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
28,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I had a similar experience I probably posted here a few years ago. I stopped overnight on my way south into California over the Siskyou mountains planning to ride thru Mt Shasta then head east for Reno. I had left the hotel before sun up and crested about dawn in dense fog.

That was fifty miles of just plain nerves trying to keep speed up and watch the mirrors. Also sorta fun, I admit.

It was a memorable case of that same thing. When I got on the back road east and down into the valley the fog cleared but was still cold and icy. I pulled-in to fuel-up at the usual remote spot, and oops, I could not feel my legs or straighten my knees, and I was geared-up solid. I hate that feeling.

·
Registered
366 Posts
My driving experience at a temperature near zero Celsius is minimal and I carefully avoid this. Especially on motorcycle))) Last same expirience I had when I was a week on the Lofoten Islands, where even in the middle of the night at the end of summer the temperature did not drop below 10 centigrade. Beyond the Arctic Circle .... And next day I’m driving along the continental part, at night, on the daily odometer is already a hundred miles, and gas stations or not, or they do not work. And **** cold! I watched the weather forecast and did not see anything worce than 8 degrees Celsius. I already weared up in a rain suit for warming. With rain and huge wind around. I'm going in diagonal pose, like /. And I'm shaking from cold in the move. The rear tire is almost dead ... On the daily odometer is 245 kilometers, and the reserve lamp has not yet turned on. I already drove two gas stations, they did not work. And now, I see a gas station. Fuel for a bike and warm to me! At the checkout, the operator asks where I come from and then adds that the Russians are not freezing))))) I laughed so that the windows almost knocked out))) The headlight then remained clean. Before that, in wet snow I drove the moto several times. After that, too, happened. I no longer remember how many times I brushed the snow off the helmet visor. But so that the headlight glass covered with snow I met only once. Then there were spectacular weather surprises. One of us did not see anything, the glass of his motorcycle froze. The second was heated handles. But for all of us, helmet visors were covered with snow. We did not expect this))) So, the problem with the headlight in this case is minimal. And by the residual principle.

For me, light is more important than the probability of freezing headlight. Warrior's instock headlight is ****...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts