RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. Im new to this.

here's what I have: 2002 warrior with standard headlight

Here's what Im interested in doing: I want to replace the h4 bulb/housing with the Harley davidson LED headlight (5 3/4) unit.
(link : Black LED Headlamp | Genuine Motor Accessories | Harley-Davidson USA )

Here's the problem: how the **** to get the light mounted to the spring loaded aiming jig!?!?

The LED Bulb housing fits inside the warrior housing, wiring and all, but obviously there's more to it... and it requires more fabrication know how than I believe i bring to the table.

Im in Boston MA. Is there anyone near me that is interested and has fabrication know how?

Attachments

·
Registered
872 Posts
From the research I have done, the Warrior headlamp has tabs the HD stock 5-3/4 do not. I have not found anyone successfully mating the 2, which I have wanted to do for some time as well. Hopefully someone will chime in with a solution, other than swapping the whole housing.

·
Registered
699 Posts
From the research I have done, the Warrior headlamp has tabs the HD stock 5-3/4 do not. I have not found anyone successfully mating the 2, which I have wanted to do for some time as well. Hopefully someone will chime in with a solution, other than swapping the whole housing.
All right, I'm in.
I want one of these.

Someone show us the way...

·
Premium Member
3,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
New Bucket?

ARIZONA - the stock warrior plugs right into the harley led module! If i hold the led module in placew, front flush with where the stock halogen reflector normally sits in the trim ring, theres room behind for the wiring (as much as the stock reflector at least).

I wondered if it would be easier to simply put a new Harley Bucket on the warrior, and put the LED light in its native bucket.

My question: Is it a big deal to swap out the bucket? I have the tach cowel and i like look of the stock set up.

Doesn't the warrior bucket have a ton of back cutouts and top mounting treads for the tach?

Im sooooo new at all of this...but i know i want the led light on the bike.

·
Administrator
27,724 Posts
If you swap the bucket its a good time for a front-end clean-up because the HD buckets mount differently so the bits surrounding the stock bucket will have gaps in between and look odd. There's a number of members who have done that in different ways, but I have not so a forum search might be a better way to get info.

The LED looks as deep as the tip of the H4 in back of the stock reflector, but the LED is square. The wiring lays around the bucket walls as you know. I'm glad it'll fit, it must just be the pics that made me thing that lol. But I don't have a clue where to get parts that might make it fit, and making them might be the only way but how, I dunno!

·
Registered
492 Posts
My guess is it'll need a new bucket. Not only will the hardware not connect but it seems a sure thing the LED
componentwill over-fill the Warrior's stock bucket leaving no room for the wiring / connectors that live in there.

If I was going to change buckets, I've always liked the Mariah bucket:
here is one link: http://www.sport-mann.com/eshopprod_cat_7956-8978_product_1240969.HEADWINDS_MARIAH_CONCOURS_ROC.htm

look in the web as Mariah Headwinds Concours Headlight 5 3/4 ... about $400.

the picture he put, is the 7" and you can find it here:
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/3/13/123/24147/ITEM/Headwinds-7-Mariah-Concours-Bullet-Headlight-Housing.aspx

·
Premium Member
3,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks for the thoughts AZ. Im thinking a bucket swap might be the only option. Im not eager to tackle all those wires behind the headlight. Ill start a new thread about Swaping buckets. Spending $400 on a bucket, after i spent $400 on the (so far unusable HD LED light... I need to know if theres a cheap way out that keeps the front/tach/cowl/wires looking stock!

if you come across info, please PM me or post here...much appreciated.

as for the front of my bike, i didnt think it was to untidy, but we'll see what i can find on here about a front clean up. below is a pic of the front as it is.

Attachments

·
Registered
699 Posts
thanks for the thoughts AZ. Im thinking a bucket swap might be the only option. Im not eager to tackle all those wires behind the headlight. Ill start a new thread about Swaping buckets. Spending $400 on a bucket, after i spent $400 on the (so far unusable HD LED light... I need to know if theres a cheap way out that keeps the front/tach/cowl/wires looking stock!

as for the front of my bike, i didnt think it was to untidy, but we'll see what i can find on here about a front clean up. below is a pic of the front as it is.
I would rather keep the stock bucket for simplicity & co$t.

·
Registered
81 Posts
My buddy rides a harley and tried to talk me into this same thing, I think he was trying to get me to be the Ginny pig on this one, his mechanical skills have left him, jwspeaker sells those lights though, he had them priced out at one point, I don't recall what they were though here's the link, if anyone's interested
Headlights - Products - J.W. Speaker Corporation

·
Premium Member
3,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hey Jason, I already talked to JW Speaker: They no longer sell that exact style to the public due to the production deal with Harley. They have other models that can be had through their distribution points, but that specific model which has been vibration dressed, is only avail through Harley.

·
Registered
2,779 Posts
Spending $400 on a bucket, after i spent $400 on the (so far unusable HD LED light... I need to know if theres a cheap way out that keeps the front/tach/cowl/wires looking stock!
I know you were just trying to fit the LED healight into the warrior bucket, but if your open to other routes here's a suggestion...
No need to spend $400. If you got the LED headlight from an HD dealer, than just return it for store credit and get a Vrod Headlight. Or you can buy an aftermarket Vrod headlight like I did for around $200. I mounted mine to the fork tubes with Protek fork tube clamps. EASY!! I haven't seperated the lamp from the bucket yet so not sure if there's enough room to stuff the wiring. Here's a link on how to hide all wires in the frame. Headlight,Tach/Key reloc, Int Wiring (31 PICS) - Road Star Warrior Forum : Yamaha Star Warrior Forums I did an easier route buy just drilling a single 2" hole in the back side and extending the wires to go in there. My soldering skills aren't up to par but even I was able to complete this with ease. Just takes time to run the wires.

You could also contact member rquest. He has fit the Vrod headlight itself into the warrior headlight bucket.

·
Administrator
27,724 Posts
What I meant was that if you remove the stock HL Bucket and install an aftermarket THEN yu will need to clean-up the font end because the bucket change will leave gaps. I should have been more clear!

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
wyomingwarrior, do you have any more pics or details about how you ran your wires? I see you drilled that 2" hole in the gusset plate, but where do they come out?

I relocated my keyswitch under my seat, replaced my stock headlight with a Victory triangular headlight and have some other wiring work I've done. What I'd like to do is relocate the wiring (all that i can anyways) to under the tank so you can't see it. However, I'm open to ideas and am intrigued with your setup.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts