RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi to all here.

I'm a kiwi guy whos been riding motorcycles since 13, got my riders (drivers) license at 15, so been riding pretty solidly the past 32 years. All manner of bikes, some new some used, but all enjoyed. There have been the odd few times when employment assignments round the globe have meant a slight motorcycling hiatus of one sort or another...

Though I have never been far from the road. Have travelled extensively on roads and tracks in NZ (where I was born and grew up), then Australia which I lived in for several years having circumnavigated twice by road dirt/outback tracks etc, then Indonesia, Thailand (central, eastern, western and northern provinces also along the Thai side of the Mekong), Saudi Arabia where I travelled extensively as part of my employment, then the past 6 years in mainland China. I own 3 motorcycles here with the biggest being a Dragstar 1100 Classic shaftdrive (aka. Roadstar/V-Star depending on ones position on the planet). I have imported some accessories (eg. screen, passing lamps, air deflectors, saddle bags, rack etc) from the USA a crowd calledTeamAlpine to make my bike more personal and enhance its useability and make it look a little more "classic". I didn't have much choice if I wanted specific accessories for my ride here in China even going to so called Yamaha dealers here would make ones head spin. For starters wheres the range of accessories, clothing, or even helmets for that matter? No what one tends to find is a slection of scooters or motorcylces <125cc. Though some times one can find slightly bigger bikes of 150 or 250cc at most. Basically large bikes >250cc are a novelty and kind of against the law in mainland China, unless they are imported or smuggled in.Those large capacity bikes that are imported in legally face an import duty. So one can go to Harley Davidson or BMW dealers in the main cities like Beijing or Shanghai but all those bikes cost around 25% more than they would most other countries.

Still have some issues over dealing with TeamAlpine in that not all items arrived, and had to pay 27% import duty on the items too, plsu almost got screwed on the courier fees, essentially the us$1000 order became us$2000 by the time I got the goods. Will load up a photo of my bike later... and some of the rides and rallys I have been on here.

I am a medical professional but a motorcycle mainiac at heart...

So niahao to all and sundry here... keeping the shiny side up!

·
Premium Member
3,725 Posts
Hi - from jarv - in the wild and uncharted regions of Ireland!

Not often I get to chat with someone in China!

I have read your other post and I'm afraid I can't help with that one - but all the best with your search.

Cheers!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks to all that have said hi and hello. Sunny day here but only 1'C outside, and theres ice cover on the man made lake in the compound I live in. Photos will be pasted later over the next week or so, once I sort them out.

Cheers to all...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi Arizona Warrior. thanks for the welcome, and I will be pasting pics as soon as I have some time, still working here since Xmas is not celebrated etc. Chinese new years and the spring festival will be celebrated in the final week or so of January, so should have some time soon enough for the pic gazing and posting.

cheers

D

·
Registered
2,779 Posts
Welcome!!! Wow I do believe you have been to more countries than I have been to states.I can't imagine living in China with the populations and crowds. I live in Wyoming... a state that very few have migrated too lol. Driving 70 mph, it'd take you almost 2 hours to travel from the south to the north end of my county and there's a total of 5 towns in the whole county (the 5th town has a population of 14 people).

I had a Law Instructor jokingly state, "Wyoming is like Canada...... someone tried to form a country but F*cking no oneshowed up." HAHAHA

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
hi guys.

About the Dragstar... i own one a 2006 1100 classic,
and several of my friends do to, two of them have 1100 customs and the
other has a 1100 classic like mine.we are based in Zhejiang province in
mainland china, and ride together frequently, sometimes joining up with
many other riders of large imported bikes.

Essentially the
Dragstar is given a different badge (name) depending on the market,
there is little difference between them except the final drive. The
dragstar has a shaft drive where as the v star for the Amercian market
has a belt drive.

So Dragstar is also called V Star or Roadstar depending on where you are. The major issue for us here in PRC is sourcing parts.

Large capacity bikes are essentially illegal unless they are imported.
They are also banned from being used/ridden inside many cities and also
the expressways. Harley Davidson has mounted a legal challenge through
WTO, since bans on bikes from cities and expressways hinders or limits
the market. So Harley argues that by having such laws this is a form of
domestic protectionism. While I may not agree with harleys view or
position, I personally feel that such draconian laws are
discriminatory. While an opening up the expressways to use by all bikes
is ridiculous given the large numbers of scooters etc ridden here, the
authorities could simply place a displacement limit/requirement for
expressway use/entry.

The other major issue is the lack of road/driving experience displayed by many of the new car drivers using the roads here. At night many drivers have the headlights on high beam, blinding on coming drivers and little is done about it. No point to ask about law enforcement! I ahve upgraded my headlight bulbs on all my bikes and my car in an attempt to really blind the morons... would really like to get some xenons for the bike though...

well thats enough for now...

·
Registered
576 Posts
welcome to the 4m- a lot of the guy's here have had the V-star (dragstar)650/1100 so you'll probably find a lot of help here. Best of luck!

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
sinned69a said:
About the Dragstar... i own one a 2006 1100 classic, and several of my friends do to, two of them have 1100 customs and the other has a 1100 classic like mine.we are based in Zhejiang province in mainland china, and ride together frequently, sometimes joining up with many other riders of large imported bikes.

Essentially the Dragstar is given a different badge (name) depending on the market, there is little difference between them except the final drive. The dragstar has a shaft drive where as the v star for the Amercian market has a belt drive.

Sinned69a,

My brother in law (IBDLAW) who also has a Vstar 1100 Classicis a shaft drive and not a belt drive.They also came in the 650 version too! The Roadstar is a 1600 or 1700 model which is belt driven! Check it out!

http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd48/Keiichi-pixs/Todds Warrior/DSC05197.jpg

·
Premium Member
2,916 Posts
Great to have a China connection! Glad you found us. If you need anything, just ask. Help is everywhere. Can't wait for the pics.

Welcome and greetings from Indiana.

PS: You don't have to remove your shoes when visiting here!

·
Registered
3,922 Posts
welcome to the forum. what i find interesting is how much stuff from china we have available to us but how little is available to you
lets see those pics of the bike

·
Registered
7,926 Posts
Great to have a new member from China. And good posts also. I enjoy reading about customs in other countries, especially when they relate to mororcycles.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts